Menu

Severe Weather in the Midwest

We are almost to my parent's house, they have a storm shelter, we don't. I grabbed baby books, ultrasound pictures, birth certificates, cameras and computers.....I hate leaving my house and all of our pictures and books. We have about an hour before they anticipate it hitting our area.

We have a shelter buried in our back yard, and I'm considering taking a preemptive trip down there with some of the valuables, just in case. We're technically just outside the 'high' risk area, but still. I hope everyone in KS and NE stay safe tonight; those states are under the gun, too :(

Just finished cleaning out the closet under the stairs for our shelter. We have a walkout basement and our closet is partially buried. Times like this I wish we had a "real" shelter. I'm in the northern part of the state and we are still okay...just waiting....Dh is at work tonight. I hate it when he isn't here during the storms. If we blow away, I'd like to be together;)

Please say a little prayer for "safe" storms tonight.

Right in the middle of the high-risk area. We had a reported/suspected tornado on the ground about 20 miles north of us. Semi trailers blown off the road on I-29 northeast of us. Nothing too nasty here. Things tend to pass just north or south of us. We gave a basement, so we are safe. I am mostly worried about my books. It will be a long night.

Right in the middle of the high-risk area. We had a reported/suspected tornado on the ground about 20 miles north of us. Semi trailers blown off the road on I-29 northeast of us. Nothing too nasty here. Things tend to pass just north or south of us. We gave a basement, so we are safe. I am mostly worried about my books. It will be a long night.
We are on "vacation" right now, right along that stretch. We are holed up in our hotel for the night. I feel safe here, but am worried about my family that lives around here.

We were suppose to go visit family to the east of here today and I finally put my foot down and said we were staying put. I am so glad I did! They are under the gun right now.

:grouphug: Keep safe, everyone!

So I'm realizing how much I don't know. We're in the midwest, but it was a fairly recent move. We've never lived in tornado country before.

We don't have a TV. What's the best way to keep updated about the weather? How do I know if/when my city is high risk or not?

We have sat. tv, which usually goes out during storms. I find my best resource is one of the local tv station's web sites.

We are currently outside of the really bad area, although our local reports say that our bad stuff is coming after midnight. We have the kids sleeping downstairs in the guest room (right next door to us) and our storm shelter, which is under the stairs, is all ready for us to jump in, if needed.

I pray that everyone stays safe tonight.

So I'm realizing how much I don't know. We're in the midwest, but it was a fairly recent move. We've never lived in tornado country before.

We don't have a TV. What's the best way to keep updated about the weather? How do I know if/when my city is high risk or not?

This is also a good web site for keeping up to date ont he weather: http://www.newson6.com/category/167026/weather-storm-tracker