Menu

Help me spend $150 on FUN things!

meggie

Links appreciated :D

For either the 1st grader or the preschooler or both. The 1st grader will be doing ancients and biology then earth science and astronomy. The fun things don't necessarily have to correlate with those subjects though. Anything fun will do. We already have a 50 piece rock and mineral set. They both love it.

:auto: Ready, set, go!

mini - luk

Castle Logic game

SeptToys

All of these can be purchased on Amazon or Timberdoodle

I second the miniLUK. This is a great toy that encourages logic thinking in young children. My kids loved the miniLUK, and I always recommend it to others when they are looking for fun items for their homeschool.

1. Primary Science Mix & Measure Set

http://www.learningresources.com/product/teachers/shop+by+subject/early+childhood/product+type/classroom+kits/primary+science+mix+-+measure+set.do?sortby=&

2. Smart Snacks Alpha Pops

http://www.learningresources.com/product/teachers/shop+by+grade/kindergarten/smart+snacks--174-+alpha+pops-trade-.do?sortby=&

3. Time Tracker Mini

http://www.learningresources.com/product/teachers/shop+by+grade/kindergarten/time+tracker--174-+mini.do?sortby=&

4. Primary Science Lab Set

http://www.learningresources.com/product/teachers/shop+by+grade/kindergarten/primary+science+lab+set.do?sortby=&

5. Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope

http://www.learningresources.com/product/teachers/shop+by+grade/kindergarten/zoomy--8482-+handheld+digital+microscope.do?sortby=&

I'll stop at that for now. My kids love the Zoomy, Primary Science Lab, and the Mix & Measure set. We don't have the other items but I would like to have them. My kids age range is from 3-9 so these items stretch a wide range. Have fun shopping and let us know what cool things you decide on.

For either the 1st grader or the preschooler or both. The 1st grader will be doing ancients and biology then earth science and astronomy. The fun things don't necessarily have to correlate with those subjects though. Anything fun will do.

Spend a day or two in local thrift stores. Lots of fun to be bought from them, and your $150 will go farther!

Draw Write Now is a resource you will use a LOT if you have it. This is something I sorely regret not purchasing earlier.

Faber-Castell beeswax crayons. Stockmar are even nicer, but these are good enough. Prang part soy crayons are better than Crayola, in quality and color selection, if you want a 64 pack.

Pattern Blocks You can find ways to use these all the way through algebra.

the most fun we've had (especially at that age) was when we had butterfly kits, ant kits, and incubated chickens & quail. insect lore had some kits we've used. we received the quail and chickens from 4H, but you can get those online too (and if you can't keep the chicks, set it up with a local farmer ahead of time to take them). you can save the kits and incubator & just order the bugs and eggs again next year. that's what we did. it was a hit each time!:)

Buy an art program. Homeschool Buyers Co-op has some specials going on now on Atelier Art, Meet the Masters, and Mark Kistler. (It is free to join if you are not already a member.) Here is the link:

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool-art-music-curriculum/

My kids LOVE doing Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons. All you need to get for that is paper and pencils. We are going to try Meet the Masters this summer.

I will happily spend your $150 on extras. I have already spent a lot more than that rofl. I need a slap. But to be frank, all my shelves of goodies I had over the past 4 years disappeared in the last year due to a re-lapse in my CFS.

Some stuff we have bought for the year:

Dinosaur pop-our Diorama (I will be putting the book title up on my blog soon, I've forgotten what its called, but all the pieces pop out and fold up and include a background and a whole lot of dinosaurs. My son had a blast with it.

-Binoculars

- Good Manifying Lenses

- Geyser Tube (for the mentos and geysey experiments - lots of fun)

- Petri Dishes (make own agar solution, get them to put their hands on it and watch the mold grow :p )

- Volcano Kit

- "Biology Madness" Science Kit

- Sea Monkeys

- Egyptian Evacuation (a pyramid that you dig remains out of)

- Tumbling wall bugs (you fling them at the walls, and they tumble down)

- Field Magnifier 10x

- Dynamo Torch (no batteries one, meant for kids squeez a couple of times)

- Giant growing crocodile (made of polymer stuff, grows when incased in water to HUGE, slowly dries out and shrinks again)

- Magnet Set (my son loves his magnets)

- Scrunch Buggy - Wind up Caterpillar (moves along like a real caterpillar)

- Magnetic Putty

- Octo Crawler (octupus that moves like a real octopus)

- Squiddy (just a fun friend :D )

- Ancient Egyptian Safari Toob

- Fossils Safari Toob

- Dinosaurs Safari Toob

- Prehistoric Life (including early man, mammoths etc) Safari Toob

- Stone Age, Bone Age (Book with Activity Ideas)

- Ancient Egyptian Fun with Bead Kit (Metropolitan Muesum)

- Treasure Trove of an Ancient Egyptian Child-

- Treasure Trove of an Ancient Roman Child

- Big Book of Egypt

- Egyptology

- Egyptian Punch Out Masks (AG Smith)

- Lift the Lid on Mummies

- Famous Figures of Ancient Times (pop out figures, connect with the tack things)

- Ancient Arts: Mosaic Kit

- Greek Hoplite 4th Century BC Model Kit

- Danger Dan Clay Sculpture Kit "Quest for Tutankamens Tomb"

- A Paper Recycling Kit (with the mesh frames, to recycle and make your own paper)

- Creative Fun "Salt Dough Fun" Book

Rest of the stuff I got is more Geography, Culture & Health Related. :p

So....yeah....theres just a couple of ideas for you :lol:

Draw Write Now is a resource you will use a LOT if you have it. This is something I sorely regret not purchasing earlier.

Faber-Castell beeswax crayons. Stockmar are even nicer, but these are good enough. Prang part soy crayons are better than Crayola, in quality and color selection, if you want a 64 pack.

Pattern Blocks You can find ways to use these all the way through algebra.

Was going to suggest pattern blocks and draw write now. My kids are completely in love with both (ages 3 and 5).

Magic School Bus experiment kits

Owl pellet dissection kit

Butterfly habitat

Lauri Fun with Magnets

Let's Read and Find Out science books

Dover Activity Kits from rainbow resource (these have coloring books, games, posters, stickers, etc. on various themes such as wild animals, birds, pirates, trains, Egyptians...)