Menu

S/O HOW do you give up sugar?

The thread on triglycerides and others are prompting this.

I'm trying to cut carbs both because I've gained 20+ pounds in the last 1.5 years [after losing over 60], and because I just don't FEEL healthy, and I'm doing ok with grains and starchy veggies, but I still want that nightly sweet treat after the boys are in bed. A little [coconut milk] ice cream, a piece of chocolate or a gourmet caramel, not A LOT, but I know it adds up, and since I'm not losing any weight, I assume it's still way too much [i haven't been tracking my exact consumption].

I don't want to use artificially sweetened foods for many reasons [i use a couple drops of stevia in my morning coffee, but I've been trying to reduce that, eventually to nothing I hope].

I use very little dairy anymore--a splash of heavy cream in my coffee, occasionally a sprinkle of shredded cheese on eggs or mexican or italian foods, occasionally yogurt. I've all but given up breads and such. When the boys have potatoes, I take extra veggies. And usually I'm fine with those things.

But I don't really WANT to give up dessert, but as I'm reading Good Calories, Bad Calories and learning what that sugar is doing in my blood stream... I question whether there's any safe level of sugar intake. :(

But I don't know how to kick the habit. :(

Can I hijack your thread to ask another question? I've been wondering, because I'm trying to cut out sugar too for similar reasons. When people give up sugar, what exactly do they mean by sugar?

Just granulated white/brown sugar? Do natural sweeteners like maple syrup count? I have the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, which mentions several other natural sweeteners, but most of them are very expensive and some are extremely hard to find. Nourishing Traditions also includes granulated sugar in a few recipes, which I thought was interesting.

I've been trying to switch to using maple syrup as a sweetener in the things I bake (and there needs to be some sort of sugar in the bread recipes I make to help the rising), but I'm not actually sure it counts. Maple syrup is, after all, somewhat processed. But I wasn't sure if it counts, because it's certainly not processed the way Domino's white granulated sugar is, kwim?

I had to go to the doctor and be tested for diabetes. I do not have it, but I'm borderline. I immediately gave up all sugar and probably about 95% of the starches I used to eat.

I grew up eating anything and everything I wanted and staying pencil thin. When I was 20 I was 5'7" and 117. I ate like a starving person. When I was younger I drank sugar water. Ate oreos by the handful. Had seconds at meals.

After five children I gained until I was around 190. So when the doctor told me I had to change I did. I've lost 16 pounds in about five weeks. Not nearly enough. But it wasn't hard at all, I don't even feel deprived.

I got some sugar free chocolate for when I feel like I've got to have a bite. I drink Glucerna for a meal daily, sometimes two meals. I bought some Truvia for my coffee. I use flavors in my water because I hate to drink water. Now I drink a lot. I gave up rum. Thought this would be huge, but so far I haven't even wanted a drink. I do eat fruits.

Started walking.

I weigh myself at least twice daily. It helps to remind me of why I'm changing my habits. I feel better.

Just stop. No more sugar. I couldn't believe that sugar free stuff could help at all, it was much easier than I thought it would be. You can and should do it.

Edited by Remudamom

I have a very addictive personality. So, I was completely off sugar, then ate a little frozen yogurt, and went completely off the wagon. I gave the kids until this weekend to eat their Easter candy, and then we are all going off sugar again. Hopefully for good this time. I used to smoke, and tried to quit many times. If I even had one puff of a cigarette, I was back to smoking a pack and a half a day by the next day. If I want to quit sugar, I need to do it cold turkey and suffer through several days of withdrawal. I drink green smoothies, which really, really help curb the cravings.

For me, not eating sugar means not adding sugar to foods. It means not eating anything with processed sugars in them. I eat plenty of fruit, and I can also eat raw honey. Those things don't make me crave sugar. If I have a cup of tea with raw honey in it, it doesn't make me want to eat the whole jar of honey. If I eat a chocolate chip cookie, I want to eat the whole batch of cookies, then a bowl of ice cream, and then some candy on top of that. The more I eat sugar, the more I need to eat to satisfy the craving. Fruit and honey don't do that to me, but they might for other people.

When I'm off sugar, (and now that I'm gluten-free), it does make eating out somewhat difficult. There are not enough restaurants that offer enough healthy choices in my opinion. I've found it's better to prepare ahead of time and bring meals with me.

For me going cold turkey on sugar, fruit, and grains together worked. The cravings settle downn after about a week (sometimes 10 days).

No sugar for me means no white or brown sugar, no honey, no syrup, no HFCS. I am able to add back in occasional fruit when eaten with a protein source. I do "cheat" occasionally, but honey & maple syrup aren't actually treated any differently by the body than table sugar. Fruit has a lot of water and fiber, so it is different, in my mind, though I do limit it while trying to lose weight.

I use stevia occasionally,but not other artificial sweeteners, and not daily.

I have a very addictive personality. So, I was completely off sugar, then ate a little frozen yogurt, and went completely off the wagon. I gave the kids until this weekend to eat their Easter candy, and then we are all going off sugar again. Hopefully for good this time. I used to smoke, and tried to quit many times. If I even had one puff of a cigarette, I was back to smoking a pack and a half a day by the next day. If I want to quit sugar, I need to do it cold turkey and suffer through several days of withdrawal. I drink green smoothies, which really, really help curb the cravings.

For me, not eating sugar means not adding sugar to foods. It means not eating anything with processed sugars in them. I eat plenty of fruit, and I can also eat raw honey. Those things don't make me crave sugar. If I have a cup of tea with raw honey in it, it doesn't make me want to eat the whole jar of honey. If I eat a chocolate chip cookie, I want to eat the whole batch of cookies, then a bowl of ice cream, and then some candy on top of that. The more I eat sugar, the more I need to eat to satisfy the craving. Fruit and honey don't do that to me, but they might for other people.

When I'm off sugar, (and now that I'm gluten-free), it does make eating out somewhat difficult. There are not enough restaurants that offer enough healthy choices in my opinion. I've found it's better to prepare ahead of time and bring meals with me.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate hearing your experiences. It's... It's hard. Emotionally and physically.

Scrappy, I'm curious about your green smoothies and what's in them, and how that helps you. I've been avoiding smoothies because I usually "sweeten" them with banana, and that is so high in sugar.

I know some resources recommend using l-glutamine to control carb cravings, but the couple times I've used it, it seems to make my tummy hurt :/

If you aren't willing to use substitutes then you simply don't eat stuff where sugar is a big ingredient.

My body doesn't process sugar alcohols very well; they make me very gassy in an extremely unpleasant way. I have used splenda, but I'm concerned about it's artificialness and how our bodies treat that.

And with that in mind, I'm not sure what to think about Stevia. It's from a natural source, but it's highly processed to be used for baking and such.

I'm torn, and so have just been erring on the side of caution by avoiding them as much as possible.

When you say you try to keep a lot on hand of things you CAN have, what is on that list?

Thanks!

When you say you try to keep a lot on hand of things you CAN have, what is on that list?

For me, avocados are a big one. I love them and they are a treat to me. When I gave up sugar the first thing I did was start buying 8-10 of them a week so I would always have some on hand when I needed *something*

Well, I'm not into low carb or anything like that. I think that if you can find a food in nature, then you can eat it. I eat fruit. I eat raw honey. Your body actually turns everything into a sugar to use it. Fruits have fiber and other nutrients your body needs. Raw honey has antioxidants and digestive enzymes, proteins take a lot of work to break down, thus give you longer lasting energy.

There is no difference in the way your body processes sugars of any kind, but some natural forms of sugars have some nutrients that are beneficial, unlike the highly processed sugars. And for me, personally, I can have a tsp. of honey without going completely insane and consuming sweet things out the wazoo. I can't say the same for other types of sugars.

My green smoothies contain berries- usually strawberries and blueberries, mango chunks, and sometimes pineapple. I put kale, spinach, turnip greens or chard in mine. I also put a scoop of this in. You can see a picture of what my green smoothies look like on my blog under the veggie heading. I only add water to the fruit and greens. It's an acquired taste, but now I find them delicious!

Today I'm making salmon with a honey mustard dill sauce. I have imitation honey (it's made with sugar alcohol). That's an example of when I use the substitutes. It tastes exactly the same (even my family doesn't notice). So I don't use these things by the truckload, but they are there when I want/need them for a recipe. I can't really leave it out, otherwise it's just mustard and dill. It would be more sugar than I'd be willing to have though with regular honey.

I know people think they are doing something different when they have honey. It's natural. Sugar IS natural. Yes it is processed so there is that part, but it has exactly the same affect on your body. I think anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Sorry, I don't buy it that it's different.

It's your prerogative what you choose to consume, but maple syrup and honey eaten in the same quantity that you eat sugar normally is not better.

This. The health food craze must be in cahoots with the honey bee farmers. Seriously, I know people who buy honey buy the truck loads and bake daily. That is not natural either. Bees can only make so much honey. Just like chickens can only lay so many eggs. Don't eat a dozen of them at one sitting and throw away the yolks!! Just eat one WHOLE egg LOL!

Anyways....I don't eat sugar. My family can detect splenda in minute amounts, plus, I don't really think it's too great to use much of it anyways. I drink things like Crystal Light, but not regularly. I think it's just good to avoid "sweets" for the most part, sugar or substitute for sugar wise.

I bake sourdough, which is just flour, water, and salt. If I am making a savory dish that calls for it, I'll use sugar. Honey in tomato soup? I don't think so. Cold turkey and suffering withdrawl is the only way for me, with pretty much any bad behavior.

This. The health food craze must be in cahoots with the honey bee farmers. Seriously, I know people who buy honey buy the truck loads and bake daily. That is not natural either. Bees can only make so much honey. Just like chickens can only lay so many eggs. Don't eat a dozen of them at one sitting and throw away the yolks!! Just eat one WHOLE egg LOL!

Well, this must be the difference. :D I just put a spoon in my tea in the morning. Or if I'm making a bread product, I'll put it in with the yeast, but I can't bake "sweets" with it. Those amounts are the same as any other sugar to me. I'll occasionally add it or some maple syrup to oatmeal, but once again, just to make it more palatable, not in huge quantities! :lol:

Cold Turkey is the only way to go for me. Just none. And I ingest none when I am off it (not now, it's the Octave of Easter ;) ) But when the last pie is out of the house, it's no more sugar for me.

Nothing is sauces, drinks, nothing.

I HAVE been giving the fam a tbsp of honey each morning with breakfast because their allergies are through the roof and we buy local honey.

I also found that as I upped my fat intake (coconut and Safflower) I didn't want anything sweet.

Have you considered something like paleo/primal eating? That doesn't require you to give up bananas or dark chocolate (which has little to no sugar). It does eliminate starches and most high glycemic foods. But you get a lot of great fats in there so taste isn't compromised.

How does your body do if you have something fatty instead of something sweet? Would having plain coconut milk yogurt satisfy instead of sugary coconut milk ice cream? What about nuts sprinkled with cinnamon - cinnamon tastes 'sweet' to me (at least the high quality stuff I buy from Penzey's Spices) but has no added sugar.

I'm pre-diabetic. I am doing low-carb the best I can. I crave bread and sweet things. I spend time searching for recipes for low-carb bread, and baked goods. Just found a good recipe for doughnut muffins. Lots of people advise that you cannot get satisfaction from eating substitute/fake items. I like to spend the time and a little money, playing with it. Almond flour, flax meal, etc. I'm trying to use stevia rather than splenda, more natural. Putting a little of my precious time and money, into working on these items, that sometimes are a total bust, helps me. Sometimes they are good. The investment of concentration, effort and money subs for buying and consuming the real thing, I guess. Does this make sense?

There is a Russell Stover's outlet nearby, and they carry the complete line of low-carb and sugar-free candies, from about four brands of candy (bought up by RS.) Some of these are really, really good. Just a couple pieces when I have to have some chocolate, is a life-saver.

I am leaning towards a paleo/primal approach. I haven't completely given up fruit or all dairy though, just trying to keep it to a minimum. I also find that if I give myself a carb infusion in the morning, even fruit, that I feel hungrier for the rest of the day.

I have some of that green superfood stuff; it's not bad. I try to sneak it into my boys' smoothies too. The elder has caught on though, and won't drink them anymore.

I read something about not eating spinach/kale raw, at least blanching it to get rid of.... something. Do you blanche yours first?

I don't think my body would take to coconut milk as a substitute for the ice cream. :/ I do like good dark chocolate, and have some really dark stuff in the fridge as it is.

I really am learning a lot to hear how you all work with your cravings and all. <3

Well, for me, I gave up pretty much all grains. If it has flour in it, I basically stopped eating it. I've lost 57 lbs this way and by default it means I no longer eat cakes, cookies, and stuff like that. So that's already cut down my sugars drastically.

If I want something sweet for a bedtime snack/dessert I will usually have either a piece of whole fruit, a homemade healthy smoothie (fruit, yogurt, milk, ice) sometimes my fruit will be plain or sometimes it will be something like an apple with peanut butter, or "ants on a log" (banana with peanut butter and a few raisins).

Every now and then I'll have a sugar free jello or a sugar free ice pop but I don't do it that often because I do try to avoid artificial sweeteners most of the time.

And once in a blue moon I'll just eat a few semi-sweet chocolate chips and a bit of milk, just because.

I do find that once you stop eating junk food "desserts" and start doing fruit type snacks instead, you do get used to that, and that IS enough to satisfy a craving for something sweet.

I have a small apple with plain yogurt, cinnamon and a few walnuts. It is amazingly simple but delicious. My kids love it too. I also have dark chocolate melted and ontop of strawberries. Maybe a bowl of fruit mix, homemade blueberry muffins with wheat bran.

That is a great question......how to do it. I can tell you that right now I am in day 6 of no sugar and no carbs and I am ug-a-lee! You know what though? No gassy stomach, no indigestion, no bloat and my jeans fit better already!!! I know this works for me but I also now realize I can't go back to carbs on a regular basis EVER. My body takes them and slaps them on my butt in seconds. I am 40 pounds heavier than when I got married. I am the same weight I was when I left the hospital with #6. Makes me sick to my stomach.:glare:

Can someone tell me in terms of weight loss when it is safe to add in fruit?

This thread made me sad b/c I really need to get it together. God help me I can't stick to no sugar although I want to. Maybe I need a little more resolve. But you guys got me thinking that tomorrow is another day - begin again!

I really believe in my heart that life isn't worth living if you can't eat a cookie or have cake. The scale will back me up on this too. Isn't that sad?

Thanks

This thread made me sad b/c I really need to get it together. God help me I can't stick to no sugar although I want to. Maybe I need a little more resolve. But you guys got me thinking that tomorrow is another day - begin again!

I really believe in my heart that life isn't worth living if you can't eat a cookie or have cake. The scale will back me up on this too. Isn't that sad?

Thanks

So don't think of it that way (I can't have cookies ever). Think that you can't have cookies or cake for 2 weeks. No sugar, no starch for two weeks. After that your tastes will have changed and you can decide what to do next. There are no- or low- sugar recipes for most sweets. I've been making stevia-sweetened fudge and that's pretty good! Better than most cookies, honestly. And after a couple of pieces I'm done, unlike in my past life when I would have eaten the whole box of cookies followed by a piece of cake. Sugar in moderation is not something that works for me, but as it turns out there are tons of good things to eat out there that aren't sugar, once I lost my "sweet tooth". :grouphug:

Delaney,

On South Beach Diet they suggest no fruit for the first two weeks. I did that. Then again my husband just decided to cut out grains and ate fruit right from the beginning and did fine with that. So, up to you!

Ok then! I will muddle through another week without fruit. :auto: