Menu

WWS rocks! Thank you SWB!

We are working hard and loving it. I am seeing skills develop and worlds open for my kid.

This past month has been a challenge. He has been learning about writing about literature. It was so hard at first. His writing was choppy and imprecise (grammatically correct, thanks to FLL) and was making me NUTS. I didn't make him rewrite, mostly due to the fact that he was at the end of his rope by the time he finished. I kept telling myself we have years of this and I don't want to make him hate writing. I would discuss how it could be better, but not make him redo. There were a few tears and a couple times a book was thrown across the room...not by me :lol:

Well, today was writing about The Bowman. He did it! He just sat down and did it! He was so proud, and I can tell he really understood what was being asked of him. Is it filled with original insight? No. But it is a solid piece of writing for an 11 year old, and it meets all the requirements of the assignment.

That's great you're seeing progress! Isn't it great when things start to click? My ds11 has been doing WWS this year too. He is not a natural writer and so we've really had to work hard through each step. He had a rough start, was able to work independently for a while, but now I'm back to walking him through everything but the actual writing of the pieces. Like you, I'm okay with it. I know none of my kids are natural writers so they need a lot of hand holding. I, also, am looking forward to the day when this hard work pays off. I know it will as he's come so far using WWE and WWS already! I'm so grateful to SWB for sharing her talents of teaching writing with us! I would be lost without it! :001_smile:

Whenever I hear my friends complain about the amount or type of writing their children are made to do in school (both public and private) I am so grateful we have an alternative!

WWS should come with a warning: Rabbit Trails Ahead! :)

I like to introduce the topics so dd has a sense of the big picture. We have discovered some new and fascinating info due to our WWS rabbit trails.

Ironically we started the Titanic lesson on the 100 year anniversary of the sinking (which I hadn't planned on). We watched a couple docs and now we're resuming the lesson.

We are taking WWS very sssslllllooowwww. It's so wonderful. No need to rush. :)

WWS should come with a warning: Rabbit Trails Ahead! :)

So true! I went through WWS to find the topics/books mentioned that I thought would interest my daughter. I then bought the books. The first time I gave her one was priceless. She finished an assignment and commented that she would love to read the whole book instead of just a scene. She turned in her assignment, and left the room for a few minutes. She came back and the book was on her desk. Her eyes were so wide!

She has surprised me a couple times and asked me for books I didn't think would interest her, so I tracked those down too. Such a great program.

We just finished up Week 23 of WWS and I have to say that it's amazingly evident that my dd's writing skills are improving. She loves the independence of the program as it is directed to her, the student. I love it that I'm involved, but the course is so well written that I'm there to help and guide rather than teach the course. Needless to say, I am thrilled over the progress that my dd is making. It's crossing over into all subject and I could not be happier.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Glad to hear the positive feedback. Between this and your posts on CPO Science, I have you & others to blame ~ er, thank ~ for giving me some fresh ideas as I head into my 12th (!) year at this gig. I'm looking forward to using WWS with my 12 yo this fall. The TM should give me something to read on a long flight this summer.:D