Menu

S/O 1 income thread- In your area, would 1 blue collar job support a family modestly?

In your area would one blue collar job support a family of four modestly?  

1. 1. In your area would one blue collar job support a family of four modestly?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't know
    • other

No, they shouldn't. But right now, the cost of gas has doubled in the last four years and that truck being on the road is costing twice as much as it did--which means that that $ has to be absorbed somewhere.

All of the costs of our raw materials have gone up because gas has gone up. Everything from bottles, to seals, to ingredients are costing more to be produced.

Believe me, most bosses I know DO know -it's just that no one can afford it. It has to come from somewhere. We've been breaking even because our cost of manufacturing has gone through the roof.

There are some things I can't speak on that I do know about; let's just say that costs could be absorbed somewhere other than the employees' paychecks ;)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some things I can't speak on that I do know about; let's just say that costs could be absorbed somewhere other than the employees' paychecks ;)

Perfectly, they should be absorbed in another way, but there's no where left. That's what we're coming up against. Healthcare costs are so high, so, so, high. For our little company, they're over 12k a month. Things like that are solid prices, there is just no negotiating, we could save a sliver here or there, but they just go up.

If two simple things like gas and insurance would go down, we'd have wiggle room to pay employees more. People are buying just what they need so purchase orders are down-because there's a price point break that we have to stay under or no one will order a darned thing so the customer *won't* absorb the increase. (we should have been in food-people have to absorb those prices<---I kid)

Believe me, my Dh isn't paying himself more, either.

I live in NW BC and there are many blue-collar jobs around here that can support a family of four, but often the workers have to be willing to work "in the bush", or do shift work. When there's work, it pays pretty well. It's not always the most stable, though.

The work is forestry or mining related.

Perfectly, they should be absorbed in another way, but there's no where left. That's what we're coming up against. Healthcare costs are so high, so, so, high. For our little company, they're over 12k a month. Things like that are solid prices, there is just no negotiating, we could save a sliver here or there, but they just go up.

If two simple things like gas and insurance would go down, we'd have wiggle room to pay employees more. People are buying just what they need so purchase orders are down-because there's a price point break that we have to stay under or no one will order a darned thing so the customer *won't* absorb the increase. (we should have been in food-people have to absorb those prices<---I kid)

Believe me, my Dh isn't paying himself more, either.

I'm betting YOU are not driving around in a very expensive, fancy car...correct? The company my husband works for offers health insurance, but they are just the go between; they don't actually pay anything into the insurance. My husband would have to pay a quarter of his paycheck for insurance just for himself.

Again, there are some unwise decisions that also cause a loss of money (can't get into it). However, when the drivers offer up suggestions, since they know the customers and the routes, they are simply told, "you don't understand".

Edited by mommaduck

I'm betting YOU are not driving around in a very expensive, fancy car...correct? The company my husband works for offers health insurance, but they are just the go between; they don't actually pay anything into the insurance. My husband would have to pay a quarter of his paycheck for insurance just for himself.

Again, there are some unwise decisions that also cause a loss of money (can't get into it). However, when the drivers offer up suggestions, since they know the customers and the routes, they are simply told, "you don't understand".

No, I know every company is different, and that some do make unwise decisions. Hopefully he'll find something better soon.

And fancy car :lol::lol::lol: This weekend my Dh was gluing the mirror back on the van when we hit a vulture that didn't plan his takeoff well. :D

No, I know every company is different, and that some do make unwise decisions. Hopefully he'll find something better soon.

And fancy car :lol::lol::lol: This weekend my Dh was gluing the mirror back on the van when we hit a vulture that didn't plan his takeoff well. :D

:lol: Please know that I do know there are small business owners that do truly sacrifice as much as their employees to keep a company running. It sounds like you are one of them. Bless you!

Actually, he does like his job and company. It's mostly the pay. We've looked into similar and they've all gone down in pay, regardless of license, experience, etc.

:lol: Please know that I do know there are small business owners that do truly sacrifice as much as their employees to keep a company running. It sounds like you are one of them. Bless you!

Actually, he does like his job and company. It's mostly the pay. We've looked into similar and they've all gone down in pay, regardless of license, experience, etc.

I'd say most of the small business owners I've known personally, or worked for, fit this category.

It came up in the other thread, and I'm curious. I assumed jobs in most places in America are similar to where we live. I'd be happy to know if I'm wrong. Where you live would one, full time blue collar job support a family of four at a modest level? It wouldn't here. I know we are all likely to have slightly different ideas of modest, but I doubt it is too drastically different, just answer by your own definition. :)

In my town, no, but it could/would/does just a few towns over :)

We're just getting by, but that's due to specific circumstances. Commute, over extended on house and car which we bought when we had a completely different income and belief about job security, and so on. At least we're not upside down!

There's money to be made driving here, if you have CDL A. and if you have OTR, tanker, or tractor-trailer experience. DH does, plus he does HazMat stuff and can pull double or triples. That's rough though, particularly if you're headed west. Experience is key, otherwise you are out all week for 0.35 a mile to build experience.

He's staying in this position for now because the company treats their employees like valued human beings and he's gaining experience that will be valuable. He interviewed recently for a job where the money would be quite a bit better and we're praying. Bad hours, different company vibe, but we'll be back on our feet.

Were you all this compassionate when the white-collar workers were whining that despite their college degrees, they were making less than many folks who hadn't finished high school, and certainly many who hadn't spent one dollar or one hour on college? As I recall, people generally just told those folks "it was your choice to spend your time and money on college; deal with it."

Nobody's saying that those whose choices tend to correspond with tighter budgets should be ashamed of their choices. But some are saying they should accept that those choices have those consequences. If you're happy with the career and family choices you've made, great! Be happy! But some of you don't sound happy. Some sound like you want to do what you want without the natural consequences and risks.

It came up in the other thread, and I'm curious. I assumed jobs in most places in America are similar to where we live. I'd be happy to know if I'm wrong. Where you live would one, full time blue collar job support a family of four at a modest level? It wouldn't here. I know we are all likely to have slightly different ideas of modest, but I doubt it is too drastically different, just answer by your own definition. :)

absolutely not. I live in the NE in a college town. There are blue collar jobs, but none that would support a family of 4.

Well.. maybe yes..My BIL has worked blue collar jobs and he supports a family of three...but he never works just one job. He always has a second third shift job going. Right now he has a good desk job but still has the third shift weekend job going.

So, as long as the blue collar worker has more than one job the answer is yes. Every family I know who work blue collar jobs need to have both adults in the home working. Often one is working a 'pink collar' job such as nursing or teaching or administrative assistant.

We know of a family that is making it--however, half the time they don't have a running vehicle, they raise much of their own meat and all of their eggs and they have no health insurance. And I'm subsidizing their rent by about $400 a month. We consider it a ministry.

{{{hugs}}}

What a beautiful kindness.

I just looked up the average factory worker's salary in Detroit. It's $51,000/year. So, assuming he's bringing in $3916/month. (I just did a quick google search and it looks like Social Security and Medicare will cost this family about $4000/year.)

Seriously? This is the average factory salary out there?! My husband just received a promotion, so he's earning a little more than that now, but up until a month ago he was making less than that--and most living expenses are higher here than those listed in this post. He is a deputy district attorney here, in a rural coastal town in Oregon. And we budget $1000 per month to paying off our law school debt. (Granted, since my husband's a government employee, our medical insurance premiums are very low.)