Menu

Algebra tiles?

I'm inspired by Crewton Ramone's House Of Math. The videos of his kids doing algebra are absolutely adorable. What cute kids!

Does anyone have experience with algebra tiles, MUS blocks or algeblocks.

Looks like IXL has interactive tiles. Illuminations has a clever module.

We love HoE for linear equation/problem solving. I'd love to find a hands-on approach to polynomials for dds.

Is it worth my energy? Expense?

Feedback welcome!

Thanks in advance -- and Happy Easter! :001_smile:

I bought some tiles and a book a few years ago. I liked them better than HOE, but we never really made full use of them. Sorry I can't be more help. I got ours from RR and the book/tiles weren't very expensive so if you liked HOE I'd give them a try.

I have Algebra tiles and a book using them. Last year, Cuisinaire had small sets really cheap at their customer appreciation sale. I should pull them out and see if DD likes them.

I LOVED Algeblocks when I was teaching, but they're expensive enough I hate to buy them for a kid who traditionally has used manipulatives once or twice and them put them away, never to touch them again. I have a bunch of various things that will be going to our homeschool curriculum sale in a couple of weeks because DD either never used them or has already passed them.

I hate to buy them for a kid who traditionally has used manipulatives once or twice and them put them away, never to touch them again. I have a bunch of various things that will be going to our homeschool curriculum sale in a couple of weeks because DD either never used them or has already passed them.

My kids have never used any sort of manipulatives. Some kids do not need them.

I can see the value of manipulatives for struggling students.

We aren't quite to algebra yet but we use mus as our spine for learning arithmetic and dd loved the blocks. She didn't need them to learn anything but always enjoyed playing with them for fun. When we first got them she basically taught herself math facts with them. She is doing fractions now and again doesn't need the overlays that go on the manipulatives to learn the concepts but likes playing with them for fun. I am assuming it will be the same when we get to algebra.

I know accelerated kids don't need manipulatives but dd has always enjoyed playing with them for fun.

I hate to buy them for a kid who traditionally has used manipulatives once or twice and them put them away, never to touch them again. I have a bunch of various things that will be going to our homeschool curriculum sale in a couple of weeks because DD either never used them or has already passed them.

I hear ya! I have all these RS A manipulatives that go unused. My 5 year old did need manipulatives to get started, but C-rods were all he needed. My oldest won't need algebra tiles, I'm sure. He is not a manipulative-needing kid. He tends to play with them and not use them for math, so I don't bother. After math, he can go build gunships with the base 10 blocks. :tongue_smilie:

The algebra tiles do look cool. I just know better than to get something like that for DS1 (DS2, otoh, may need them when we get there).