Menu

Reborn doll craze: cute or creepy?

Reborn doll craze: cute or creepy?  

1. 1. Reborn doll craze: cute or creepy?

• Cute.....they are soooo adorable!
    • Creepy.....it's kinda weird!
    • Other.....explain yourself!

I think they are beautiful and stand in awe of someone who could create something like that! Seems more work than actually giving birth! I don't find it creepy I find it sad. People have all kinds of reasons for wanting something like that and for those who need it to love on I just feel bad for them.

I don't want to judge because it is obviously a coping mechanism and who am I to say it is wrong? For all we know loving that doll maybe keeping them from suicide or something.

My 14yo dd loves these and has made a few. She loves babies and wants to be a neonatal nurse practitioner. In her case, I don't think it's creepy. But real women taking them out and treating them like real babies is totally creepy.

As far as baking the parts in the oven, yeah it looks creepy. But is it creepy when toy doll parts are being made in a factory? These dolls are handmade, which makes each one really special. My dd studied a bit of anatomy to be able to paint these properly, such as where the veins should be lightly painted on, the exact colours of a newborn baby verses the colours of a 6 month old, how to do the hair and eyelashes for the different ages. Making them is actually quite an art.

I haven't voted because while I do think there is a creepy factor attached to them, I also think they are really cool. I guess I'll go vote 'other'.

I think it sounds like a neat hobby to learn to actually make them. Some of the dolls do look really life-like and even cute, I think. Some....not so much. I guess I maybe should have clarified that the "creepy" to me is the adult woman carrying them all over town and treating them like a real baby. That's just plain weird. :001_rolleyes:

I've seen reborn dolls before, which I assumed were just for collecting, like other expensive dolls-- but wow, I never knew about this whole nurturing trend.

It kinda reminds me of those realistic baby-shaped cakes for baby showers. I never knew who could slice and eat such a thing.

heebie jeebies all around.

Ok

So I guess I won't post the link of the crackpot collector I know who breastfeeds them and posts videos of her doing it on youtube :p

I bet the ones who carry their doll in an infant carrier seem pretty normal now don't they :tongue_smilie:

I hesitate to say that because you could say that about almost any activity or hobby. People say that type of thing about homeschooling moms. "If you have that much time and energy to spend on your child's education, why not volunteer at the school and improve things for all children?" I try not to make value judgments about people's hobbies at least in regards to how I think they should spend their time or money differently even though there are many hobbies I will never come close to understanding. :p

My issue with this particular hobby is that the dolls themselves are creeeeepy. ;)

I'm late circling back around to this discussion. I understand your point about making value judgments on how others spend their time and money, and in general, I agree. The underlying difference with the dolls seems that they aren't as much a hobby as they are a no-commitment alternative to actual people. It reminds me of folks who dress up little monkeys treat them as real children. It diminishes the humanity of a living child.

Definitely creepy - but then I think it's creepy when people treat their toy dogs as children. The limit was when a woman had her dog in a doggy stroller in the grocery store.

:iagree: I don't think it's more disturbing than people treating their pets as humans. And that said, if it's fulfilling some need in someone's life without hurting anyone else, then carry on. A little creepy to me and not my cup of tea, but everyone's different. I do totally get the allure of cuddling an infant.