Menu

What would you choose for AAS if no magnetic whiteboard available?

lamolina

Hi- I am wanting to start AAS with my 2 younger children. I have levels 1-3 ready to go. The problem is that we have recently moved to South America where there is apparently no such thing as a magnetic white board!

I know it can be used on cookie sheets, is that the next best thing?

Or does anyone have any ideas on how to make a whiteboard magnetic!?:confused:

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Oh, this is encouraging! For some reason I thought the whiteboard was necessary.

I like the lapbook idea but don't even know if I can find magnetic strips.

Maybe we will just try it on a table and see how it goes. Does it take a long time to set everything up?

We do have an ipad, would that app take the place of the tiles?

thanks everyone!

I used an oil drip pan that we picked up at an automotive store for $9. I love that it is so big but if space is an issue then this might not be a feasible alternative. You can see pictures of it here. Also, I found that I can use wet-erase markers on my pan so we literally do most of the lesson right there.

We use Sound Literacy instead of our white board - it doesn't have the syllable tags, so I'm eagerly awaiting their own app. Until then, Sound Literacy is awesome - read about it here and totally worth it.

Before that we used cookie sheets, then a magnetic white board, now the iPad!

Does Sound Literacy work just the same as the tiles, so I would use it in place of the tiles?

I love the ideas of the pattern board and the drip pan, but I wouldn't have a clue where to find something like that here, if they even exist.

Maybe we will try the app and see how that goes. Any word from AAS when they think their app will be ready?

Thanks Jennifer. I haven't started AAS at all yet and have really barely looked at it yet, so are the syllable tags important? Is that something we can just do orally or some other way and do the rest on the app?

Maybe I will contact All About Learning and see when they expect their app to come out!

Thanks everyone for your help, I thought i was doomed without the whiteboard!

Well, I do wish we had them in an app because it can be a bit tricker for my DD to remember all the different types. We do it orally and with some drawing on the words - Sound Literacy lets you draw right in the app, so we split up syllables and tag them with the pen.

I heard they wouldn't have the app out until summer :).

BTW, if you are starting with level 1 you don't need to worry about syllable tags - they don't come in until level 2.

I am planning to start with my 8 year old who reads above grade level just fine and whose spelling is pretty good though she does make quite a few mistakes. Do you recommend starting level 1 with her?

And I want to start with my 5 year old at some point to but he is just starting to sound out CVC works, do you suggest waiting with him for a while?

THANKS so much!

Level 1 does have some important concepts in it, you could start there and go more quickly with your oldest, then start your youngest a little bit later. We waited to start level 1 until reading was fairly well established, so no rush there :).

I am planning to start with my 8 year old who reads above grade level just fine and whose spelling is pretty good though she does make quite a few mistakes. Do you recommend starting level 1 with her?

And I want to start with my 5 year old at some point to but he is just starting to sound out CVC works, do you suggest waiting with him for a while?

THANKS so much!

I'd wait on your 5 year-old. If you are using All About Reading, the author suggests starting AAS after AAR 1. If not--AAR 1 covers CVC words, blends, simple open syllable words, and short vowel compound words, to give you an idea.

For your 8 yo, this link might help you decide whether to start with 1 or 2. I started my kids at 9 & 11 on Level 1 (well, first I tried Level 2, but realized they had some gaps from 1, even though they knew how to spell the words--they didn't know all of the concepts. I went back and filled in with the Level 1).

HTH some! Merry :-)

Thanks both of you! I think I will go ahead and start on level 1 with her. It might not take long to get through but since i have it anyway it seems silly to take a chance on missing something that may help her later.

I have OPGTR that I plan to use with my 5yo, any idea at what point through the book would be appropriate to start AAS 1?