Menu

(CC) Church looking...

Hey There ;)

So, we live in this little spot that has a few churches. Theology is important to me, as it's the Study of God. :) We have one church that we agree with Theologically and like some of the people, but we've gone and left a few times. It's just not a church that is gonna work for us, I guess :(

So, there's another church in town that is friendly (good thing there!) I don't agree with some of it, as it has a different missions philosophy and also is kinda "Charismaticy" :) But it is "Christian" and the people there are friendly.

My daughter was just saying yesterday that she misses church, she wants to delve into a youth group. She also was considering her younger brother and thinks he should experience "church".

So, how do I just focus on the common and ignore the things that seriously bug me?

I mean.... youth group that outreaches is good, right? I need something my kids can sink into... I just have to give up the "no church/church hop" thing and settle. As my daughter was saying, "No church is perfect" and if we don't go to one in town, we can't fellowship with the people... :(

Friendly and actually Christian... the main two things that count... I can suck it up, right??

At least 15-20 minutes, maybe? But our town is pretty isolated. Once you leave our little spot, everything feels pretty far. And.... while we do co-op in the next town, as far as being involved... popping over for youth group... etc.... it just doesn't happen ;( And, then the kids aren't going to school with any of their "friends"... (We just hs our youngest)

Your post is too vague for me to really reply. What bothers you? Is it charismatic and biblical, perhaps just uncomfortable for you? Or is charismatic in a non-biblical way where weird manifestations take place each week in the "name of God?" Is the missions focus different from your own preference, but still done in a biblical manner? Or do they not believe in missions at all??

Just trying to better understand.

Susan

What a tough decision. As other posters mentioned, it's really hard to advise with those generalities. Are those churches part of larger denominations with clear theological viewpoints that you can analyze and authority structures that provide checks and balances? If they are independent or non-denominational, do they have a clear statement of beliefs and vision along with clear guidelines wrt their government? Friendly can be a great sign in a theologically sound church (John 13:35) but it can be a warning sign if the authority structure is out of whack.

I will pray for wisdom for you.

What a tough decision. As other posters mentioned, it's really hard to advise with those generalities. Are those churches part of larger denominations with clear theological viewpoints that you can analyze and authority structures that provide checks and balances? If they are independent or non-denominational, do they have a clear statement of beliefs and vision along with clear guidelines wrt their government? Friendly can be a great sign in a theologically sound church (John 13:35) but it can be a warning sign if the authority structure is out of whack.

:iagree: FWIW, I'd choose theological agreement over (initial?) friendliness. But I definitely agree with the authority structure issue - this provides protection for both the pastors AND the people who have committed themselves to serve and walk through life with a particular group of believers.

:iagree: It's a tough call. Without more info I think I would choose a different church personally. Doctrine is very important to me and I don't think I would want to go somewhere where I would have to correct my kids all the time on the teaching they hear.

What specifically is it about the one church that has caused you to leave a few times? <-- Rhetorical Is it that you just don't jive with the people, or the opportunities are lacking, or ...? I'm wondering if it isn't something you can soldier through, by choosing to see it through different eyes -- might it be an obstacle that's been placed before you to help you to grow, whether divinely or otherwise? <-- Rhetorical, again!

I'm not Christian; I've never been. To that end I'm unqualified to even weigh in here. But I do have a spiritual faith, and I've hit my own inconvenient speedbumps on the journey. Little annoying factors that kept popping up until I decided that they weren't ever go away if I didn't tackle them head-on.

In my case, one was a situation very similar to yours -- moving to a small town, limited places of worship - particularly for my faith, not really anything wrong with the nearest temple other than it just wasn't "me" and we didn't click, you know? Well, by living in the Bible Belt and not affliliating myself with a worship place, I opened myself up to all sorts of Christian evangelizing! I realized that the temple nearest me may not be the best fit, but that for whatever reason we were planted nearby one another and darn it all if we weren't going to grow together (if not on one another LOL).

The theology was sound, and that is what mattered; the fellowship and relating to the larger religious community eventually followed, though neither overnight nor without getting my own hands dirty. Truly, I was a young woman worshipping with a bunch of crazy old coots who were culturally different and historically discriminatory towards my ethnicity. Now I love the old farts. It's taken time, much time, and effort, some effort. They'll even begrudgingly admit that they love me, too ;):D.

I think friendliness is often enough to get the ball rolling, but you can get that anywhere outside of church. It's nice to have AT church, but church isn't the only place to find it - right? Yet, why do you go to church? For spiritual nourishment, ... your personal religious truths ... IMO even the friendliest church can't beat that in the long run, and -down the line- you risk finding yourself feeling stuck with a group of lovely, friendly people who aren't able to build you up and help you to grow in your chosen faith.

If you have to compromise, err on the side of your theology. :grouphug: Especially if you wish to pass on your faith to your children. (Though, maybe you're open to them being any denomination? If so, and if they're the one's seeking, ... I suppose I'd change my answer to yes - you can suck it up for them so long as you have a bona fide outlet for your own spiritual needs ... be that an online component or literature or long-distance mentor or whatnot.)

I've not regretted having faith that the speedbumps I encountered were carefully placed by a force/power greater than me, and realizing what I needed to do was hurdle over them rather than walk around them in another direction.

Well, kinda answering all at once, the church we're NOT going back to is the one that we actually agree with... on paper. BUT, it's not what the pastor is preaching like now :( (Although we LOVE the pastor... just not his preaching... He's a great guy... would be a great neighbor... Just not our taste for pastoring)

So... we have visited the church that I think we'll end up going to... just never really suited my taste as far as sermon & music. The mission goals are a bit off from what I believe. BUT, I guess I am wanting to go back to hang out with some people who love Jesus! :) And... who are welcoming. I mean... at the other church I can't say it's warm and inviting. My daughter wants to hang out with Christian friends/at least acquaintances. She's going to public school, and this is where is where many of them go. So, I guess I'll listen to podcasts during the week, from people I find intellectually challenging... and hang out with people on Sundays that I find good to be around :)