Menu

What great discoveries have you made?

1 July 2008

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2006/0215godsdesign.asp

I'm hoping this'll do it for me for chemistry...

Plus inprint montessori - lots of hands on/manipulative chemistry helps... http://www.in-printforchildren.com/

I have most of the cards.

I also made a 2.5metre periodic table of elements so that we can find out about the element, draw a picture of something that uses that element and stick it on the appropriate place ie: Helium - draw a rocket firing into space - because rockets use helium to burn because it burns hot and it helps them get out of our atmosphere. It would go on the top right-hand side... with H (the symbol) and Helium (plus the atomic number) written over the picture so you still know what it is...

Another brilliant Australian resource is: http://www.australianhistorypictures.com/

Wen

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sentence Composing for....... and the Grammar books in the series. Mega improvement with these!!!!
  • Sequential Spelling
  • Life of Fred math
  • Vocabulary Cartoons
  • Teaching company DVDs and CDs
  • Winter Promise's time line book
  • Amy Pack's time line figures
  • Uncle Josh's Outline Maps on CD
  • Apologia Science
  • History through living books with a spine
  • Reading Reflex
  • White board with color markers
  • Hold that Thought United States Geography
  • WTM Boards!!!!

My boys are visual spatial thinkers and twice exceptional. Our list reflects that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily a "eureka" moment, but I like the Vocabulary for Achievement series a little better than Vocab from Classical Roots. Might be worth a look. Same publisher as Write Source materials.

Haven't started it yet, but I'm looking forward to the Sentence Composing series which is often recommended by the gurus here on the high school board.

Of course, a lot of folks here like the Lial's math series, but my daughter is looking forward to Chalkdust. The guy is funny and extremely clear and concise. Enough to make me overlook the fact it's a DVD course.

New conversation that's intrigued me - seeing more mention of summer camps at colleges... real academic ones, not babysitting ones... for example Hillsdale apparently has a travel/study program for juniors and seniors and the cost includes college credit - how interesting! How many colleges do this sort of thing? That would be a great topic to research and comment on - what flexibility and variety there is for the high school student, but it's like you have to stumble on this information accidentally... no resource available except maybe google.

Robin

I must have missed this thread before...

For us, these are what have worked great so far:

Explode the Code

Growing with Grammar

Horizons Math

SOTW

And I'm hoping that Song School Latin will be a hit and get us all going on Latin study (will be starting this in the Fall, so I can't say what I think of it yet, but we are looking forward to it!)

Brimwood Press is new and totally different.

I would love a review on these products.

I'd love to hear more about these products, too. I am thinking of using their program as a fun review after we finish our history cycle with VP (this school year), and before starting our upper level history.

Wendi

I'm not sure what's "new" but I think at least some of these are!

These are things where I think the author is truly gifted in helping the student learn, as well as being concise while in-depth. (I've actually used these, not just looked at them.)

- Algebra: Math Relief by Leonard Firebaugh - my #1 recommendation****

- Spanish: La Clase Divertida (you can skip the projects to make it fit the concise description). This (a) teaches things kids want to say, rather than travelers, and (b) emphasizes correct pronunciation of vowels and then the alphabet, as well as modeling this on the video (it's hard to catch exact pronounciation on some programs).

- Astronomy: Jeannie Fulbright. She made me think learning the chemical elements of planets made sense and was actually interesting!

- Writing Strands: I agree with Carol in Cal - I still like it :o)

- Handwriting Without Tears: grades 4-5-plus are new books, well done, and some are even available in Spanish. Good for kids who won't cooperate with proper letter formation (i.e. legible cursive)

- Rainbow Science: I agree with 74Heaven, & add that it's the only program I know where all the labs *really* get done!

- Homeschool in the Woods timelines: How could you get anything more thorough? BUT with a caution to avoid info overload, which can negate the learning, especially with kids not in high school - but even with high schoolers

- Drive Through History (the original 4 DVDs; I haven't seen the America one): Kid-fun visuals of historical places

Curricula/ putting SOTW into action:

- For those who want to use Story of the World, don't forget that My Father's World schedules it in, so you might mention programs that include SOTW? By 1850-Modern Times, the activity book is also part of MFW. (This is pretty new.)

- I love that you offer CDs so we can listen to SOTW on audio!

- Online forums - agreeing with Terri & Colleen, an excellent thing to mention!

And since everyone's adding their suggestions for adding a chapter to TWTM:

- Computer programming (I've looked at a few things but would like some experienced guidance!)

You know, I follow your recs pretty closely. Thanks for that! I loved Growing with Grammar for my son this year and will be using it for 5th also.

The thing I found at our conference this year that I am very excited about isHandle on the Arts.

It coordinates art, art appreciation, music, music appreciation, drama and architecture. It's designed to be done for about 20 minutes per day in 5-10 minute increments - fun little activities you can break up the day with.

There is a chronological program and a more general "hit the highlights" kind of program. I picked up the four week program after our conference and if we like it, I'll probably use one of the 16 week programs.

For me it is a great thing, because we are a bluegrass loving family. Our background noise is a banjo or mandolin around here, so classical music and art often get short shrift. I'm hoping this will help me be better about covering these topics.

This is an excellent program. We're doing it right now...ds is learning so much. I highly recommend it.

I don't know if this would be new curric or not, but Lively Latin incorporates Latin Grammer, Roman history, derivative study, just everything that I would think a classical latin program would cover without taking time away from other subjects.

Also, for highschool history, I'd say my new find has been Trisms.

I can't say enough about Hillside's english and composition books. For a mother of many, this has it all: dictation, beauty, narration, copywork, writing assignments, grammar - all in ONE and it's not boringly tedious either. I like Hillside's much more than the original Serl series. The only thing I'd change is that I wish Hillside's were hardback. Probably not a big deal to most users, but I plan on handing it down a half dozen or more kids!

The other would be Life of Fred math.

#1 - Be sensitive, be a listener, and watch what your child is doing / struggling with...in stead of assuming "he" (or she) is the issue.

# 2 - Just because 90% of the people use one curriculum does not mean it is "the best".

#3 - This will sound contradictory of #1 and #2. Sometimes you need to just finish a curriculum, at least for the year that you are in. Sometimes, it all comes together down the road (meaning, before you finish the book).

Particular Suggestion:

We used this without ANY tools to aid in teaching, but I still love the incredible job that Foerster does of teaching Algebra. I looked at Jacob''s and we had used Saxon a bit, and I have looked through Lial's books...still keep choosing Foerster.