Menu

Convince me to press the button or not...a little long, sorry

julikins

My first grade son is struggling with math. I used MUS with my daughter very successfully and just assumed it would work for him in Alpha. BUT, tears were a constant part of math every day and the "I don't get it" look after watching the video a couple times and I explain it. Then he'd seem to get it, but the next day we'd have to do it all over again. No retention.

So I took a break from MUS Alpha, printed off some MM workbooks in the same topic (simple addition) and he did okay for a little while but quickly got overwhelmed. We went back to the beginning of the workbook and got to about the same point we had in MUS and then the tears and stalling began. He just couldn't seem to get past addition of more than 5+6.

I wondered if it was a maturity issue and he needed a break. So I took out an Evan-Moor workbook on coins, time and fractions. He's done splendidly with it. Loves it. It's very small incremental steps to the learning. He gets it sometimes without my explaining. He seems to enjoy math again.

But now we're at the end of the book. From what I'm learning in observing him, I think he needs spiral approach (whereas both MUS and MM are mastery). I've been considering CLE Math. I like the idea of built in review and drills. I think he would like the sense of accomplishment of finishing the worktexts, instead of looking overwhelmed at a whole huge book to finish.

I'm not mathy, so I have a hard to figuring out how to explain things to my kids in math. I can do it, but I'm not sure how I got the answer sometimes, even though it's right. So, I need something that will help the student understand and/or gives me very clear instructions on how to teach. I can't be expected to come up with it on my own.

I've read tons of reviews of CLE Math. I've done the placement test. He places in the 100s. I've calculated how much. I've put it in the cart. And I just can't press the button.

Does it sound like a good fit, from those who have experience? Did you have similar experiences with finding the right math? I've read so often that people wish they had turned to CLE earlier or that after trying many different curricula they're so glad they found this. Would I be happier with CLE if I added in MM for review or a different method approach? I already have MM and MUS Beta for 2nd grade too. Part of my reluctance is spending more money. Do I just sell MUS Beta?

Just tell me what you would do in my situation, please.

My first grade son is struggling with math. I used MUS with my daughter very successfully and just assumed it would work for him in Alpha. BUT, tears were a constant part of math every day and the "I don't get it" look after watching the video a couple times and I explain it. Then he'd seem to get it, but the next day we'd have to do it all over again. No retention.

So I took a break from MUS Alpha, printed off some MM workbooks in the same topic (simple addition) and he did okay for a little while but quickly got overwhelmed. We went back to the beginning of the workbook and got to about the same point we had in MUS and then the tears and stalling began. He just couldn't seem to get past addition of more than 5+6.

I wondered if it was a maturity issue and he needed a break. So I took out an Evan-Moor workbook on coins, time and fractions. He's done splendidly with it. Loves it. It's very small incremental steps to the learning. He gets it sometimes without my explaining. He seems to enjoy math again.

But now we're at the end of the book. From what I'm learning in observing him, I think he needs spiral approach (whereas both MUS and MM are mastery). I've been considering CLE Math. I like the idea of built in review and drills. I think he would like the sense of accomplishment of finishing the worktexts, instead of looking overwhelmed at a whole huge book to finish.

I'm not mathy, so I have a hard to figuring out how to explain things to my kids in math. I can do it, but I'm not sure how I got the answer sometimes, even though it's right. So, I need something that will help the student understand and/or gives me very clear instructions on how to teach. I can't be expected to come up with it on my own.

I've read tons of reviews of CLE Math. I've done the placement test. He places in the 100s. I've calculated how much. I've put it in the cart. And I just can't press the button.

Does it sound like a good fit, from those who have experience? Did you have similar experiences with finding the right math? I've read so often that people wish they had turned to CLE earlier or that after trying many different curricula they're so glad they found this. Would I be happier with CLE if I added in MM for review or a different method approach? I already have MM and MUS Beta for 2nd grade too. Part of my reluctance is spending more money. Do I just sell MUS Beta?

Just tell me what you would do in my situation, please.

Can you order just 1 Light Unit to see if it will work for you?

CLE is a big success here. I wouldn't say my dd loves it, but she doesn't cry anymore and she is actually retaining what she learns. We tried Right Start, Singapore, and MM before landing on CLE and I wish I had been doing spiral from the beginning. She is moving through the books and feels more and more confident as we go. We have been using it for about a year now. You could always try a couple of light units first and see how it goes. They are pretty inexpensive and at this level you could probably skip the teacher guide if you wanted.

Noelle

It sounds like a good choice for your DS. Give it a try. Some kids need that constant review to build up their confidence enough to move forward. My friend's DD was like that, and she has flourished with CLE.

They are pretty inexpensive and at this level you could probably skip the teacher guide if you wanted.

IIRC, the TM is necessary at that level because it contains the text of the word problems.

You could always just try one unit of CLE. The other possibility since you already own MM 1/2 is to make MM spiral.

For example in MM 2 you schedule a page of CH1, a page of CH 2. When you finish Ch 1 you change the schedule to a page of CH 2 and a Page of CH 3. When you finish Ch 2 you change the schedule to a page of CH 3 and a Page of CH 5 and so on.

Part of my dilemma is that I can't just buy one light unit and try it. We're missionaries overseas, and I have someone coming down in April bringing our homeschool stuff for next year. So I need to make a decision and hopefully it's the right one. But truthfully, the curriculum itself isn't all that expensive compared to MUS. I might send MUS Beta back to the States and try to resell it. We'll see. Or keep it for my next little one. I don't know if she'll need spiral or mastery. It's a little early. She hasn't been born yet :).

We have been where you are now. My son did MUS in Kindergarten and really struggled. We switched to Singapore (somewhat similar to MM) and he did ok for a while but still struggled a bit to retain. A few months ago we decided to switch to CLE 100 level (although we started in 103 and have worked quickly through to 105) he says he loves math. He does really really well in it (he got 100% on his first test and a 94% on his 2nd test) ... he is actually retaining math skills. I love it and plan to continue using it.

You might consider ditching formal curriculum and just play games, do file folders, things like that to strengthen his base fact knowledge, KWIM? Scholastic has another dollar sale going on and you can download those easily. I wouldn't jump into buying something right away. He is young and in curriculum like Oak Meadow the knowledge of the facts is introduced through chanting and stuff. Maybe do flashcard games? I think you can work through it.:001_smile:

We had the same experience. MUS worked great for my older daughter, but with my youngest it was a disaster. She is technically still only in kindergarten but is now happily doing CLE 102. It started moving a little fast for her (remember though, she JUST turned 6) so we are taking a break and doing some supplemental workbooks to reinforce what she has been doing in CLE. I am really glad we made the switch. You do need the TM for 1st grade, though. Good luck!

We had the same experience. MUS worked great for my older daughter, but with my youngest it was a disaster. She is technically still only in kindergarten but is now happily doing CLE 102. It started moving a little fast for her (remember though, she JUST turned 6) so we are taking a break and doing some supplemental workbooks to reinforce what she has been doing in CLE. I am really glad we made the switch. You do need the TM for 1st grade, though. Good luck!

My kindergartener is doing CLE Math as well. She just turned 6 in February but is doing very well. We just started LU104 today. Sometimes I split the lessons into 2 days and throw in some supplemental word problems or Cuisenairre rod work or what have you, but for the most part she is doing very well w/ the 100 level.