Menu

Making bread without bread flour? Anyone?

Most recipes I have seen call for bread flour. I don't have any. I haven't bought it in a long time. I keep thinking that back when you couldn't buy bread in a store they probably didn't have bread flour and "regular" flour. Did they?

What is the difference between them?

I keep thinking that back when you couldn't buy bread in a store they probably didn't have bread flour and "regular" flour. Did they?

What is the difference between them?

More protein in bread flour. I am not sure when one couldn't buy bread in a store, though. Not very recently, for sure.

There are a lot of breads that will be fine with all purpose flour. My grandma has always made bread with all purpose, I think. Are you making very crusty, "artisinal" bread? Or a soft loaf?

I think King Arthur Flour has a great collection of recipes on their website. They obviously sell flour but I use other brands without any problems. Here are their sandwich loaf recipes: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/bread/sandwich-loaves

I think this is their most popular: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/king-arthurs-classic-white-sandwich-bread-recipe

I rarely buy bread flour, myself.

Here is another King Arthur link, if you are really, really interested in protein levels of various flours. You have to scroll down a bit, but the page has descriptions of the different types.

Lately, I've been making the no-knead bread and I just use KAF all-purpose. I just don't have room for a lot of different types of flours.

When I could eat gluten, I either used KAF all-purpose or their "special", which has a protein content between their AP and bread flours. I really saw no difference in AP/special/bread as far as end product, in any type of bread (plain old white, French, artisan loaves, no-knead, sourdough).

(I should mention Special is only available in 50lb bags, though.)

You can also add a bit of vital wheat gluten to the recipe, when using regular flour. That adds in the extra protein you would get from bread flour without needing two kinds of flour.

:iagree:

You need to add one tablespoon of gluten for every cup of flour.

I just buy flour and keep the vital wheat gluten in the fridge.