Menu

Science over the summer?

I'm looking at the holes in our schooling this year and it seems that science has fallen to the wayside as DH and I have struggled to tag team teach, WOH, run our business, run our scout units, and so on. So.... has anyone done this successfully? Crammed a year's worth of science into summer? I was thinking biology would work for this since we could grow some plants, do nature studies, and so on.

My kids will rebel if it is too intense but some experiments, field trips, and reading might be received without marked resistance.

Is there a program/curriculum that would work for this or should I just piece together experiments and such ala WTM?

I used Real Science 4 Kids for several summers as enrichment. I called it "chemistry camp" for "physics camp" and invited a friend or two. I made sure it was on set dates, I had all my supplies and of course we had snacks and play time. :) I did it once per week, but you could do it for a couple of weeks or whatever works. I also used some easy living books that the kids "checked out" and read each week - I had them share what they learned each week.

RSO Chem would be very doable over a summer, and fun.

If your kiddos like making models, Exploration Education has some simple but nifty wooden models and circuits, etc. to build.

Getting something simple like volume one of Adventures in Atoms and Molecules and just doing a couple of hands on things a week should be painless. Same with a variety of Janice Van Cleave. Your lib should have Van C.

You're in a place where you can dig at the beach, hike the beaver trail, go see the local blown volcano, and poke your head into the really fun Science Museum in Portland. Consider popping over to Goldendale for a peek through the telescope. (And there is the reproduction Stonehenge in Maryhill). We've enjoyed the aquariums that are 30 and 60 miles north of you.

If you haven't seen the David Attenborough nature movies, you MUST. A good one to start with is Life of Birds. Life of Mammals is the weakest, but Life in the Undergrowth, Life in the Freezer, and Life in Cold Blood are fascinating. Much better, IMO, that his "show piece" ones he just narrates, e.g. Blue Planet. He really teaches in these. Think of a male biologist version of Sister Wendy. :)

At this age, I say make science FUN.

Not a curriculum, but my daughter had a lot of fun with this:

http://www.the-private-eye.com/html/materials/desksets/kits.html#diy

Those look fun!

Intellego unit studies might be the right size and style for your needs. They have multiple topics and grade levels.

Interesting idea. I really like the idea that they are little unit studies but look pretty well organized so I wouldn't necessarily have to have a ton of other materials other than what I already have on hand.

We kind of do that. Lots of documentaries, some living books, and experiments with Dad for fun in the evenings. Nothing forced, no worksheets. He scored in the 99th percentile in science on the ITBS, so I think it works :)

We do a lot of documentaries and science DVD's during the school year (primarily over lunch) but I could expand on the topics with living books and experiments... hmmmm...

I used Real Science 4 Kids for several summers as enrichment. I called it "chemistry camp" for "physics camp" and invited a friend or two. I made sure it was on set dates, I had all my supplies and of course we had snacks and play time. :) I did it once per week, but you could do it for a couple of weeks or whatever works. I also used some easy living books that the kids "checked out" and read each week - I had them share what they learned each week.

We've done the PreLevel and Level I Chem this year and after that science just fell to the wayside (in the wake of my returning to work, transitioning to shared teaching, etc). I've heard the physics one is fun.

I'd probably choose stuff from Living Learning Books. I love their science.

http://www.livinglearningbooks.com/newllb/index.php

I'd never seen this one either. Those look fun and affordable!

You could do lots of the Delta Science in a Nutshell kits. The pond study would be particularly good in the summer.

I love "kits." I don't like having to pull together bits and pieces for experiments and such. I'm so lazy I was actually irritated the other day when a little plant kit I bought didn't include cups for planters (for the mustard seed, cacti, and some sort of "sensitive plant" included in the "Science Fair Kit." Sigh... Of course, like any good homeschooler, I grabbed an egg carton and a plastic bag and made a "greenhouse," but I was still irritated, lol.

RSO Chem would be very doable over a summer, and fun.

If your kiddos like making models, Exploration Education has some simple but nifty wooden models and circuits, etc. to build.

Getting something simple like volume one of Adventures in Atoms and Molecules and just doing a couple of hands on things a week should be painless. Same with a variety of Janice Van Cleave. Your lib should have Van C.

You're in a place where you can dig at the beach, hike the beaver trail, go see the local blown volcano, and poke your head into the really fun Science Museum in Portland. Consider popping over to Goldendale for a peek through the telescope. (And there is the reproduction Stonehenge in Maryhill). We've enjoyed the aquariums that are 30 and 60 miles north of you.

If you haven't seen the David Attenborough nature movies, you MUST. A good one to start with is Life of Birds. Life of Mammals is the weakest, but Life in the Undergrowth, Life in the Freezer, and Life in Cold Blood are fascinating. Much better, IMO, that his "show piece" ones he just narrates, e.g. Blue Planet. He really teaches in these. Think of a male biologist version of Sister Wendy. :)

At this age, I say make science FUN.

My kids like kits/models. They play with Snap Circuits all the time and love putting things together. They've done a solar system model, random animal models from Michael's, and a few other things. I'll look into those kits.

We did Vol 1 of Fun with Atoms and Molecules last year. They liked that a lot. And I think I have a few Van C books laying about. I really need to keep better track of what I have around here, lol.

Thanks for the reminder about local education fun. We love the aquariums, zoos, wildlife park, and science centers both in Seattle and Portland. We love beachcombing and hiking. We did the Conservatory (along with the Asian Art Museum and visiting Bruce Lee's grave) on Capital Hill a few weeks ago and that was great. Stonehenge and the telescope are awesome ideas!

And I need to check out those videos. We check out every Bill Nye, Disney Imaginarium, and Eyewitness video we find at the library and we are running low on ones we haven't seen.

And thank you all! I'm actually feeling better about what I see as not doing any science this year. It seems I have done some! We finished RS4Ks Chemistry earlier this year. We watch at least 1 science-related video/week. I've had DS10 doing research and writing papers on different animals on a regular basis as part of his writing curriculum. DD and I have a windowsill "greenhouse" going as we speak. And we regularly go to zoos, aquariums, conservatories, National and state parks, and so on.... So maybe I'm not far behind as I think I am.