Menu

I need (vegetarian) lunches the kids can make.

sunbutter and jelly sandwiches? (or peanut butter if that's your thing)

macaroni and cheese (you said vegetarian not vegan right?)

grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup

crackers, cheese, dried fruit and yogurt

These are some of our basics for lunch for my older three. We have raw veggies (typically carrot sticks, sometimes broccoli) and fruit with lunch typically.

My kids love Ramen, but I don't like them to eat the mysterious contents in the spice packet. We found that you can buy the plain ramen style noodles (they are in larger portions so my kids just break off a bunch). They put them in a bowl with bits of fresh veggies, soy sauce, and whatever spices they are in the mood for, cover with boiling water and let stand for a few minutes. It's easy (and breaks the long stretches of nachos for lunch).

Not that these are actually balanced, but:

Amy's Macaroni and cheese is easy to prepare

Hummus can easily be made ahead and left in fridge. Kids can use in on a pita or whole wheat tortilla and make a wrap. You could have broccolli, cauliflower or sweetbell peppers to dip into the hummus.

Cheese cut into same size squares as whole wheat crackers and they can stack other little things on top for snazzy crackers. My kids like mozzarella, low fat triscuits and tomato slices.

Apple slices with organic peanut butter and a sprinkle of raisins.

Homemade yogurt with fresh fruit and granola.

sloppy joes...you would have to make the tvp hamburger type and then just add sloppy joe seasoning/tomato sauce and a hamburger bun...pickles and onions.

Bagels turned into easy pizzas.

the ever lame pbj sandwich

vegetarian hotdogs

sliced vegetarian hotdogs mixed with baked beans (beanie weanies ala vegetarian)

cream cheese sandwich with cucumbers and a rasberry dressing.

that is all I can rattle of my head right now!

We often do Triscuits with Laughing Cow lite cheese spread along with fruit and/or raw veggies on the side.

Also, cream cheese spread on a tortilla or wrap and filled with whatever veggies they will eat. That requires some chopping or slicing of veggies though.

Pasta tossed with any variety of veggies and variety of sauces.

Egg salad sandwiches -- if you all eat eggs.

Pimento cheese sandwiches

That's all I have for now.

My kids love -

Roundabouts: Corn Thins (large round corn cake) topped with salad items like sliced tomato, grated carrot, cheese, grated cucumber etc. My kids like to have all the salad selection on a plate and then arrange it themselves on their Corn Thins.

Vege Wraps: Tortillas filled with baked beans and salad.

Saucy Toast Melts: Bread topped with lots of grated cheese, then a swirl of sauce (BBQ, sweet chilli, or even tomato) then toasted under the grill.

Sorry if some of my Aussie terminology is showing :001_huh:

Salads are a lot more interesting if one makes a selection of dressings to put on them. The choice and ability to have something different to one's siblings really helps :) We toast pita bread and put that in the salad for carb content. Just don't leave it sitting around for too long or the bread will go soggy *blergh!*

:)

Rosie

We are vegetarian, we LOVE cottage cheese, with veggies, chick peas (they go together really well), or whatever (also go well with fake hot dogs, especially smart dogs); smart dogs; tofu eggless salad or egg salad if you are not vegan; chili if you make it ahead of time, then they can do tacos another day, or nachos, so easy, and I'm sure they will love that! They can also do a bean dip, refried beans (fat free from Old El Paso is also vegetarian), then add cheese and some salsa, and nuke it, then have tortilla chips, or, actually, carrots or celery do work well for dipping (I have found you don't taste the chips very much!).