Menu

Name that curriculum...please!

mystika1

Hi,

We are suffering from major burnout. I am about to pull out my hair. I need a change of pace and so does my dd. I am looking for something with plenty of hands on activities, lots of experiments that won't have me driving all over town for weird supplies. Something ready-to-go...no huge planning involved. My dd loves history and science.

I was looking at:

K12(purchasing the history and science)

Sonlight(I used them before but they really had hardly any activities:tongue_smilie: )

Any suggestions?

Penny

Science:

Nancy Larson Science Kits

Magic Schoolbus Science Unit Kits

Noeo Science

Sonlight Science

Guesthollow Science (just purchase whats needed off amazon in one swoop)

Supercharged Science Kits

Switched on Schoolhouse (Home training tools have the kits)

Real Science (Home training tools have kit)

RSO Science (Home training tools have kit)

Real Science 4 kids (home training tools have kit)

History:

History is harder, theres no real kits I have seen, I'll just have to list ones and let you figure out whats interesting

Story of the World

History Odyssey

Truthquest

Tapestry of Grace

Myths, Maps & Marvels (free curriculum by bringing up learners)

Veritas History

Bibliplan

Mystery of History

Using hands-on activity guide books instead, like classical kids, Ancient egyptians and their neighbours

There's some ideas anyway :) xxx

SL is not where you want to go if you want lots of activities... unless you want to add them in with maybe Evan-Moore history pockets?

Connecting With History is Catholic but I think it has plenty of activities.

For Science you could always revert to Bill Nye or Mr.Wizard DVDs and a science project book.

Sorry if that isn't much help...

I'm barely trudging through every day, too. I wake up every morning wanting to do anything except "school." :glare:

For Science I really like the Young Scientist Club Kits. It's one of those- would I rather spend the money or put in the time things. I pull together so much of our school and I had the money a couple years ago, so I bought a bunch of them. They are reusable too. You'd only need to replace a couple things here and there, like yeast and maybe a rubber band. :)

I'm barely trudging through every day, too. I wake up every morning wanting to do anything except "school." :glare:

That's me...must be the moon or something. I am pretty sick of planning and my dd's whining when I say it's time for school is driving me nuts.

Penny

That was us. Last year. I was on a one way track to Burn-out. So, I went on a curriculum hunt which was HARD until I wrote down exactly what I needed/wanted.

I went with Winter Promise's AA-1. My children, like your daughter, requested more history & they loved hands on. That particular core uses the HSITW Time Traveler Cds & everything was all planned out. It was a beautifully fun year. I had things scheduled, my kids got hands on. It was awesome.

For science we went with Apologia which has experiments. You can, if you order from CBD just order a kit as well for it which comes with all the needed supplies for any single book you get. :D

Homeschool in the Woods has an American History series that's entirely based around hands-on crafts and projects. Throw in some American Girl and Dear America books, maybe Liberty's Kids and a few other videos, and you'd have a really fun history program that would be perfect for girls in your age range.

For science, Inquiry in Action is a free elementary chemistry program that even your 4 yo could join in on. It's entirely lab-based, includes all the necessary worksheets and lab sheets, and the materials are things you'd probably already have around the house or could easily pick up at the grocery store.

Jackie

Dd9 and ds5 are having a blast with the Time Traveler's Units this year. We've done the Explorers and are now working on Colonial Times. In the next couple of weeks we are going to be dying fabrics, sewing and stuffing a straw bed, weaving a blanket on a homemade loom, and experimenting with creating clothing of the period.

Can't help you with science. I gave up trying to find something that I love and am just writing my own for next year. :glare:

Hi,

We are suffering from major burnout. I am about to pull out my hair. I need a change of pace and so does my dd. I am looking for something with plenty of hands on activities, lots of experiments that won't have me driving all over town for weird supplies. Something ready-to-go...no huge planning involved. My dd loves history and science.

I was looking at:

K12(purchasing the history and science)

Sonlight(I used them before but they really had hardly any activities:tongue_smilie: )

Any suggestions?

Penny

What are you using now? Maybe there's a way to use it differently? Take something away, add something else, without a complete overhaul? Or are you coming to the end of resources and needing to start "next year" now? Maybe you just need spring break? I don't remember where you are, but is beautiful weather taking over? Cut back to the 3Rs and get outside next week! Or take a week off from your usual history/science and spend time on a subject you don't normally get around to (if you have that problem.... for me that would be art, LOL).