Menu

What I learned on my vacation

I just got back from 3 days in the San Juan Islands. Such a beautiful place!

1. There are lots of homeschoolers here. Almost everyone I met told me this!:001_smile: People were trying to convince me to move here and that was their number one reason they gave me.

2. Moanie the Camel (now called Mona) is real. I have pictures to prove it. We were so surprised as we drove by this farm and saw a camel in the paddock. Her name was Moanie because she would moan when her original owner would leave her.

3. You find the best places to eat when you ask the local people for their recommendations.:) I recommend The Hungry Clam and Kung Fu Pizza (and yes, that really is a Chinese pizza joint.)

4. Alpacas make very expensive yarn. We stopped at an alpaca farm. I did buy a small amount of hand dyed yarn. Just enough to make a scarf for dd. At least that is my intent. There was absolutely beautiful clothing there for absolutely sky high prices.

5. A pottery studio is a very interesting place to tour. We didn't buy anything but I did get the name of a really neat plant (a hellebore named Lenten Rose).

6. Antique consignment stores have everything you could think of. Dh bought a very sharp and wicked looking machete. I'm thinking that I should let my life insurance lapse. . .

7. Local people are the best tour guides. We enjoyed the island so much more knowing that Jim's great grandpa started the general store and that we should look for the eagle's nest in this particular cove. Dd10 enjoyed meeting Popeye, the one eyed seal, because of a local's hint that the seal liked to hang out at the marina. Dh doesn't kid me so much now about talking to anyone and everyone.

8. Very cold windy weather is very bad for me. I was in pretty bad pain because the cold made me tense up and my muscles don't release once tense. That led to another discovery. . . severe pain makes me laugh hysterically. (I did this in labor too.) My muscles were so tight that I could barely touch. . . my knees!

I'm feeling better now though I'm headed to a date with a hot epsom salt bath. I'm still having blood pressure, blood sugar and sinus problems. But now that I'm home I'll concentrate more on home remedies to supplement the medicines that the doctor put me on. Dd10's UTI has responded well to medicine and she feels just fine.

9. The very last thing I learned on this vacation is that it is fun to enjoy things with family, even if all the circumstances aren't perfect. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Which island did you visit?

Must have been San Juan.

Glad you had a nice time, Jean. Yes, cold & windy is a fitting description for this weather of late. This may well be yet another "spring never happened and summer arrived in August" year.

Must have been San Juan.

Glad you had a nice time, Jean. Yes, cold & windy is a fitting description for this weather of late. This may well be yet another "spring never happened and summer arrived in August" year.

Yes, it was San Juan. And yes, we had hail, very cold rain, wind gusts and sun all within one hour of each other. Dh had mentioned wanting a tropical get away and I didn't listen! (Mainly because we can't afford a tropical get away but I digress. . .)