Menu

Breast milk bad after freezing?

My sister called me to ask about this. She pumps so that when and if she needs it someone can give the baby a bottle with breast milk.

WELL, the baby hasn't been talking the bottle. At all. He just didn't want anything to do with it.

Finally today my sister was preparing a bottle with the breast milk and noticed it smelled funny. So she dipped her finger in and tasted it. She said is was sour.

She got out another one from the freezer and it was the same thing. She tried thawing it differently. On the counter, in the fridge and in warm water. Still the same with 4 different frozen bags of milk. These particular bags are only about 4 weeks old.

She pumps, puts it in the little milk bags, squeezes the air out, dates them and puts them in the freezer.

Anyone have any suggestions? BTDT? She has called her lac consultant but hasn't gotten a call back yet.

I pumped and froze breast milk in the little plastic bags with no problems. Ds#2 was drinking milk in July/August that I has expressed in May (I knew I was going to have to stop making milk because I had to go on a medication, so I over produced and stocked up.) Maybe it's the brand of bags? Maybe it was something she changed in her diet at the time of the milk making? I suppose it is possible that the bags were to full and ripped a seam? Was she pumping with lanolin or something similar on her breast?

Yes, this is possible. It has to do with the amount of lipase in her milk. I could freeze my milk with my daughter but not my son. The solution is to "scald" the milk before freezing, or keep in the fridge (7 days max). I'll see if I can find an article when I'm not on my phone.

Edited by Heather R
lipase, not lactase

The lipase issues, combined with poor output for the pump, is why I don't pump (thankfully it isn't too important that I do so!) I encourage all moms building a freezer stash to test for this problem early in the process. How heartbreaking to build up a huge stash and then discover it is worthless!