Menu

has anyone lost and kept off a significant amount of weight on a plant based diet?

It sens like all the weight loss threads are focused on low carb with most of the women esp saying low carb was their only answer. I have several compelling reasons for not wishing to go that route but I also really need to lose a bunch of weight. I would love to hear success stories from anyone who has done it with a plant based but small amounts of animal products included.

Thanks!

I'm insulin resistant, and before I knew I was, I spent many years as a vegetarian. I don't think it helped me at all. I wasn't overweight, but I think I probably increased my insulin resistance. eta: to be clear, I think insulin sensitivity is a continuum, and I think there are people who can tolerate a plant/grain based diet better than others. For me, as someone with PCOS and IR, I don't think it was the best option. A significant percentage of the population trends toward IR, including many people who are of a healthy weight. For me, a lot of grains results in brain fog and fatigue. When I was younger they did not result in weight gain per se, but as I've gotten older I could easily pack on weight by returning to grains. My BMI has always been normal though, between 19-21 going back to my early 20s to now in my early 30s. As a LCer, I do eat a lot of veggies.

Edited by Momof3littles

Every person I know that went plant based lost weight and has no problems staying at a healthy weight while continuing to eat a plant based diet. I had 2 kids, am 37 years old, and I've gotten back to my pre-pregnancy weight (and clothes) without even trying.

The only thing I would say is not to eat the processed foods like veggie burgers, dogs, etc, as a main part of your diet. Those people who went veg and ate those foods actually gained weight in most cases. Once I told them to cut out those foods the pounds just melted off. :)

Every person I know that went plant based lost weight and has no problems staying at a healthy weight while continuing to eat a plant based diet. I had 2 kids, am 37 years old, and I've gotten back to my pre-pregnancy weight (and clothes) without even trying.

The only thing I would say is not to eat the processed foods like veggie burgers, dogs, etc, as a main part of your diet. Those people who went veg and ate those foods actually gained weight in most cases. Once I told them to cut out those foods the pounds just melted off. :)

:iagree:

I lost 25 lbs (145 to 120) a few years ago and have been able to maintain my weight by eating vegan 80-90% of the time. It's a lifestyle, not a diet. Hubby eats about 75% vegan and has been able to fend off all of the diseases that run in his family (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure).

Edited by NicksMama-Zack's Mama Too

There are several here who liked Eat to Live and other such programs. Raw is often a good one. These are good especially if you're having sugar issues. The problem many people have is eating too much fat, grains, etc. But people who focus on veggies, fruits, and beans ("greens and beans" is a popular saying) can often lose weight efficiently, fix sugar issues (my sugar issues were fixed in less than a month and stayed that way!), etc.

Anyway, I definitely believe in plant-based. In fact, I'm starting an exercise program that is very strength training based on Monday. I'm using a higher protein plant based diet (little to no meat) to help me build muscle mass and lose weight. I gained a lot of weight while we were traveling. I'm going to lose it and keep it off now that we're back to a normal lifestyle :) Also, since my hysterectomy (Feb 29th), I feel on top of the world (though a little tired the last couple days as I have a baby I can't get to quit screaming her head off). I finally feel ABLE to do it well :)

In the end, I think I'll be 70-90% vegan. I was pretty comfy there before job loss/traveling :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

I actually follow NoS (http://www.Nosdiet.com) which encourages healthy eating habits and routines without specifying an exact menu. I've lost 50 pounds and am maintaining nicely.

While we don't follow a "plant-based" diet per se, I strive to have my plate divvied up as follows: 1/4 protein-based (may or may not be meat--we have meatless meals 2-3 times per week); 1/4 grain/starch/bread; 1/2 salads, veggies, fruits.

I agree with pps and suggest that you stay away as much as possible from overly refined foods, whether plant-based or not....

HTH,

I lost all my weight after my first pregnancy by going vegan. I followed the Mc Dougall diet plan. i looked fantastic and I felt great.

I went mostly vegan again at the start of the new year. This time I am gaining my carbs mostly from legumes but do have other carbs. I do not feel well on a high carb diet so I am mostly limiting my carbs to once per day. Weighloss is slower this time but while I want to lose 30 lbs, I went vegan because I WANTED to.

If you are on a high carb diet, weighloss will be difficult. Limiting carbs and not going overboard on fat will help with weightloss.

Could the difference maker be, not between meat and plant, but in the grains?

I'm reading Taubes. I've read Michael Pollan. In ways, they are at odds. :). But I'm wondering if you exclude grains from the "plant"....if you aren't left with being able to eat what you want, in terms of fruit, veggie, meat. (this is assuming sugar, HFCS, trans-fat, processed carp isn't considered healthy in any of the diets.) I'm purely speculating.

And I'm also, I guess, assuming that people will eat in moderation. I don't think over abundance of fruit is necessarily good. But, if you are making sure to eat lots of green veggies, I'm still not convinced a sweet potato or banana or apple is bad. With no grains, carbs gained from a moderation of fruit, might just be fine? Again, speculation as I try to make sense of everything.

Edited by snickelfritz

I guess it depends on how you define plant based. I am a vegetarian. I have lost about 50 lbs being a vegetarian, but I also gained that 50 lbs being a vegetarian.

I can eat an awful lot of calories eating big bowls of whole wheat pasta with lots of olive oil and garlic, or peanut noodles, or bowls of homemade potato soup and bread. Rice (even brown) has an amazing amount of calories per cup. Beer and wine are vegetarian, so are chips and oil cooked popcorn. Candy is vegetarian and so is soda. Cookies, muffins, jam, peanut butter, nuts, cakes...all vegetarian. And if I made it myself, it was all whole wheat and often vegan.

Are you seeing the problem here?

If you switch to plant based you have to keep making good choices. Now my lunch is about 8oz of steamed veggies with .5 cup of black beans and a squirt of lemon juice. I drink veggie juice instead of fruit juice. I eat whole fruit. I have a half a cup of high fiber cereal with unsweetened almond milk for a snack. I make fat free split pea soup, or steamed veggies with tofu (or more beans!) for dinner. I have a cup of miso soup for an evening snack. I have egg whites and spinach and salsa for breakfast.

Very different diets, both plant based.

I'm insulin resistant, and before I knew I was, I spent many years as a vegetarian. I don't think it helped me at all. I wasn't overweight, but I think I probably increased my insulin resistance. eta: to be clear, I think insulin sensitivity is a continuum, and I think there are people who can tolerate a plant/grain based diet better than others. For me, as someone with PCOS and IR, I don't think it was the best option. A significant percentage of the population trends toward IR, including many people who are of a healthy weight. For me, a lot of grains results in brain fog and fatigue. When I was younger they did not result in weight gain per se, but as I've gotten older I could easily pack on weight by returning to grains. My BMI has always been normal though, between 19-21 going back to my early 20s to now in my early 30s. As a LCer, I do eat a lot of veggies.

:iagree: i have been hypoglycemic most of my life and am IR now. When I went vegan the first time, I monitored my sugars and did well on high grains and legumes. Now too many grains make me feel unwell.

I honestly dont think anyone can lose weight without limiting their carbs. I know someone who had no more than 45 g of carbs per MEAL and lost a ton of weight. She did a LOT of walking, but she also went back to her old eating habits and gained it all back. Still, I was surprised at how much weight she lost eating that many carbs.

Have you checked into any of the low carb websites? i will be making pancakes tomorrow with coconut or almond flour. I haven't done a recipe search yet. i have heard these are DELISH.

There are several here who liked Eat to Live and other such programs. Raw is often a good one. These are good especially if you're having sugar issues. The problem many people have is eating too much fat, grains, etc. But people who focus on veggies, fruits, and beans ("greens and beans" is a popular saying) can often lose weight efficiently, fix sugar issues (my sugar issues were fixed in less than a month and stayed that way!), etc.

Anyway, I definitely believe in plant-based. In fact, I'm starting an exercise program that is very strength training based on Monday. I'm using a higher protein plant based diet (little to no meat) to help me build muscle mass and lose weight. I gained a lot of weight while we were traveling. I'm going to lose it and keep it off now that we're back to a normal lifestyle :) Also, since my hysterectomy (Feb 29th), I feel on top of the world (though a little tired the last couple days as I have a baby I can't get to quit screaming her head off). I finally feel ABLE to do it well :)

In the end, I think I'll be 70-90% vegan. I was pretty comfy there before job loss/traveling :)

i started out doing mainly Eat to Live and do love this way of eating. I need to get more creative with salad toppings, though. i also want more raw salad recipes that aren't your traditional salad types!

pamela, did you limit uour carb intake to one cup per day? Did you limit legumes? I'm doing ETL without having read the book. My understanding is that you can have unlimited legumes? I try to have a cup MINIMUM per day.

Which exercise program are you goijng to start? We have been walking a lot since there is no snow for snowshoeing :glare: but I think I am going to order PUMP! Very soon. Curious as to what you are using.

Have you tried co-sleeping with the baby? Many kid's trauma happened at night and they have too many fears to sleep. Co-sleeping can help with that. We did it with RAD for around 3 years before I nearly lost my mind. She never let me sleep through the night. Three years of nsomnia nearly killed me! Still, I have no regrets.

I went vegan (originally to lose weight) from 2005-2006. I also counted calories and exercised for about an hour a day, in addition to wearing a pedometer at other times to make sure I got in my daily quota of "steps". Of course, I lost a ton of weight. I also restricted carbs, but still ate them, just sticking to high-quality, whole grain, high-fiber varieties. I read both of John Robbins' books and became convinced that the arguments for avoiding meat products as much as possible for health and environmental reasons made sense.

I definitely agree that going "vegetarian" by eating mostly pasta, etc. will not help a person lose weight. A vegetarian or vegan diet must include mostly veggies and some healthy whole grains and natural proteins (beans, tofu, etc.) I did eat some processed tofu-based items, but this was not the majority of my diet.

I wish I could have stuck to that diet, because I felt great and really loved the food. However, there were two major obstacles that kept me from sticking to it beyond 18 months.

1. The rest of my family refused to eat a vegan diet. I made chicken and fish for them once a week, but they weren't that thrilled with the vegan meals, and it became a strain on our relationship and on my time.

2. Vegetables, tofu-based processed food, organic items, basically "healthy food" in general is expensive. I know there can be ways to cut costs, but financially we went from being able to afford weekly trips to Whole Foods to having to buy the cheapest of the cheap food, and I couldn't maintain my vegan, lower-carb diet.

Our grocery budget has increased a bit, and I am slowly increasing the amount of veggies in my diet. A plant-based diet is fabulous for your health and your waist-line (as long as you don't overdo the processed carbs). I would only suggest that you figure out how that diet will fit into your meal plans for the rest of the family, and how to balance your grocery budget while including more veggies and whole foods.

Good luck!

I just wanted to add that I do eat pasta and rice and muffins (and occasionally candy), but I eat a small amount. I also eat butter and cheese and yogurt. Mostly, I track my calories and weigh my food.

Pasta and rice and bread aren't 'bad' foods. They are just calorie dense. That is great if you don't have many dense sources of calories in your diet. It could even mean the difference between making it through the winter and not. But, thankfully, that isn't an issue for me. I have the privilege of choice.

It sens like all the weight loss threads are focused on low carb with most of the women esp saying low carb was their only answer. I have several compelling reasons for not wishing to go that route but I also really need to lose a bunch of weight. I would love to hear success stories from anyone who has done it with a plant based but small amounts of animal products included.

Thanks!

You might want to look into Dr. Mercola's nutritional/metabolic typing. He feels he can divide people into 3 types that work best for their bodies - protein type, carb type, and mixed type. If you sign up on the website you can take the "test" free and they'll email you results and stuff. (If you don't want to get future newsletters from them, be sure to uncheck the appropriate boxes.)

My tendency is to believe that traditional vegetarian diets are too grain-based - it's hard to get enough calories without them. But eliminating processed foods and most grain products (ala raw food), you can get a fairly healthy diet; although I'd never recommend that anyone give up meat entirely except for religious reasons. You have to be very careful with long-term vegan/vegetarianism - short term it can be helpful, but after a few years it can be disasterous for some people.

ASMAA, I stopped being vegan due to my family, too. I used to cook my weekly meals on Sunday yet cook daily for dh and ds. i got tired of that.

This time around I have MUCH tastier recipes. My family is doing vegan most nights. They have meat an average of two times per week. This is MUCH easier for me and the health benefits are for everyone.

I havnt ever used a plant based diet to loose weight but it sounds healtheir than my Kelloggs 2 week diet I went on last year. All that happened is that I felt super tired all the time!

I did loose a bit of weight but not a significant amount, no one even commented.

:confused::confused:

I guess it depends on how you define plant based. I am a vegetarian. I have lost about 50 lbs being a vegetarian, but I also gained that 50 lbs being a vegetarian.

I can eat an awful lot of calories eating big bowls of whole wheat pasta with lots of olive oil and garlic, or peanut noodles, or bowls of homemade potato soup and bread. Rice (even brown) has an amazing amount of calories per cup. Beer and wine are vegetarian, so are chips and oil cooked popcorn. Candy is vegetarian and so is soda. Cookies, muffins, jam, peanut butter, nuts, cakes...all vegetarian. And if I made it myself, it was all whole wheat and often vegan.

Are you seeing the problem here?

If you switch to plant based you have to keep making good choices. Now my lunch is about 8oz of steamed veggies with .5 cup of black beans and a squirt of lemon juice. I drink veggie juice instead of fruit juice. I eat whole fruit. I have a half a cup of high fiber cereal with unsweetened almond milk for a snack. I make fat free split pea soup, or steamed veggies with tofu (or more beans!) for dinner. I have a cup of miso soup for an evening snack. I have egg whites and spinach and salsa for breakfast.

Very different diets, both plant based.

This has been my experience, too. I lost about 40 lbs from 2001 to 2002 by cutting out anything white and refined. Then I became vegan in 2003 and kept the weight off without any difficulty until I had children! After I had my DD in 2008, I started eating a lot more of the calorically-dense comfort-type foods. I gained about 30 lbs. I'm now back to making much more conscious choices about more vegetables, less refined food--generally more whole foods. I have lost about 15 lbs so far. It's slow going, but it's happening. I know if I continue to eat this way, I will keep it off.

Which exercise program are you goijng to start? We have been walking a lot since there is no snow for snowshoeing but I think I am going to order PUMP! Very soon. Curious as to what you are using.

I got ChaLEAN Extreme back when my other babies left but then got pneumonia and some other issues. Now I'm ready :) It is a 120 day program, ramping it up every month. I'll probably work on some hybrid-ing after that as I have YBB, P90, P90X, HHA, etc. I'm getting the kids Tony and the Kids for summer. They spend so much time outdoors and now sports, but they wanna be like Mama :) Obviously, I like Beachbody products.

Have you tried co-sleeping with the baby?

You know...foster care and all that stuff. I'm a rule follower. :)

She actually does well once she's asleep for the night. It is during the day. We decided to do something different this morning. We put her down rather than holding her screaming. After 30 seconds or so, we'd offer to pick her back up (or let her sit touching us). If she screamed touching us or while being held, we set her back down...again, only a few seconds before offering to bring her close again. She got the point. We had our first hour without screaming! Now, I thought the caseworker was wrong about gma spoiling her, but she "got it" so maybe *I* was wrong.