Menu

Need to figure out credit for youth symphony

Both of my kids are in an area youth symphony. This is not a homeschool group. They have to audition for it. I haven't decided if I will list it for credit on their transcript, or as extra-curricular activities. I probably won't decide that for awhile.

If I do count it for credit, how should I award it? They meet once a week for rehearsal for 2.5 hours. Adding it up for the year, it comes to 70 hours. They also have private lessons and practice time, but I hesitate to include that in the hours. If they were in a PS orchestra, they would still do these things, so I don't really think of them as part of the course itself.

So, should I count each year as .5 credit? Any thoughts?

For our umbrella you could count any time spent with an instructor, so the 2.5 hrs a week at orchestra practice, plus time in private lessons, but not time spent practicing.

And since you said 2.5 hrs at orchestra, and adding in private lesson time, I would think it could be a full credit for the year (since it would be over 3 hrs a week).

HTH

Unless you are in desperate need of a "fine arts credit," I would list it a an extracurricular and not give course credit for it.

When I was in high school, I was in a very prestigious regional youth orchestra and received no credit for it. I also attended an all-day music program on Saturdays with theory, chamber orchestra, chamber groups, lessons, and vocal training, again with no credit.

Strong EC's are all but required to get into strong colleges these days!

Edited by Gwen in VA

For our umbrella you could count any time spent with an instructor, so the 2.5 hrs a week at orchestra practice, plus time in private lessons, but not time spent practicing.

And since you said 2.5 hrs at orchestra, and adding in private lesson time, I would think it could be a full credit for the year (since it would be over 3 hrs a week).

HTH

Thanks. This is very helpful.

My dc are in a similar situation. They have 2 1/2 hours a week plus performances for the youth symphony that they had to audition for. They also do scholarship and performance auditions, plus the regular lessons.

I count instruction time and daily practice time as 0.5 credit for music each year (it could be 1.0, but she also has music history/theory for the other half, plus 0.5 credit of art.) Then I count the youth symphony as an extracurricular/honor, as well as any of the other things she wins or participates in (master classes, etc.)

When I was in band in school, we practiced each day and that was part of our credit. We didn't usually practice extra at home, because an hour a day was plenty, unless we had a solo contest or the like. So that's how I count it for dd: her lesson plus the weekly practices is her credit. The youth symphony is an extra thing for all of the students who are in school.

When I was in band in school, we practiced each day and that was part of our credit. We didn't usually practice extra at home, because an hour a day was plenty, unless we had a solo contest or the like. So that's how I count it for dd: her lesson plus the weekly practices is her credit. The youth symphony is an extra thing for all of the students who are in school.

My dd takes a band class at co-op, which is 1.5 hours a week. Also she has a private lesson for .75 hour each week. She practices at home for an hour a day. I have been wondering if I could award .5 credit per year for this, and from your description it sounds like maybe I could.

My dd takes a band class at co-op, which is 1.5 hours a week. Also she has a private lesson for .75 hour each week. She practices at home for an hour a day. I have been wondering if I could award .5 credit per year for this, and from your description it sounds like maybe I could.

I think you could definitely award 0.5 based on that wihtout a doubt, and even possibly 1 full credit.

So glad you asked this question - I wondering about all of this myself as ds starts 9th grade next year. Ds takes violin lessons, plays in our city's Youth Philharmonic Orchestra. He also plays in a local Fiddle group which involves 1-2 rehearsals/month and 1-2 gigs/month.

I was mostly thinking that all of this would be listed under Extra-curr but it is interesting to hear the varied responses in this thread.

:bigear:

Both of my kids are in an area youth symphony. This is not a homeschool group. They have to audition for it. I haven't decided if I will list it for credit on their transcript, or as extra-curricular activities. I probably won't decide that for awhile.

If I do count it for credit, how should I award it? They meet once a week for rehearsal for 2.5 hours. Adding it up for the year, it comes to 70 hours. They also have private lessons and practice time, but I hesitate to include that in the hours. If they were in a PS orchestra, they would still do these things, so I don't really think of them as part of the course itself.

I'd count it as a whole credit in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter that they'd still have private lessons and practice time if they were in ps. I'm guessing that the experience in this private orchestra is more comprehensive and intensive than a p.s. orchestra would be.

I'd count it as a whole credit in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter that they'd still have private lessons and practice time if they were in ps. I'm guessing that the experience in this private orchestra is more comprehensive and intensive than a p.s. orchestra would be.

I believe it is. I've been to enough of their rehearsals. Other than one 10-15 minute break in the middle, they don't stop for anything. It's pretty amazing. (I was in band, so I'm familiar with school rehearsals.)