Menu

60 Minutes tonight is all about the guy from Khan Academy

I went to the Khan Academy website to see if I could sign up to track my kids' progress. Does anyone know how to do this? It looks like you need to sign up through Google Apps for Education, which requires that you own a domain name, which I don't.

I know we could just do the videos, but if we could use the tracking too, that would be great.

I don't have any more time tonight to look around the site, but I thought maybe someone here has already figured out what's needed.

I went to the Khan Academy website to see if I could sign up to track my kids' progress. Does anyone know how to do this? It looks like you need to sign up through Google Apps for Education, which requires that you own a domain name, which I don't.

I know we could just do the videos, but if we could use the tracking too, that would be great.

I don't have any more time tonight to look around the site, but I thought maybe someone here has already figured out what's needed.

There may be other ways, but here's what I know. Set yourself up with a Khan account. If you don't have a gmail address, get one for that purpose. Then log into your child's account. There is a button that says "Add coach" or something like that and you can add yourself as a coach.

Post if you are still having trouble and I can get on the computer that runs Khan better and look it all up.

There may be other ways, but here's what I know. Set yourself up with a Khan account. If you don't have a gmail address, get one for that purpose. Then log into your child's account. There is a button that says "Add coach" or something like that and you can add yourself as a coach.

Post if you are still having trouble and I can get on the computer that runs Khan better and look it all up.

I set up an account for myself (I used Facebook to log in, and set that to "Only Me" so stuff doesn't show up on FB). So my Khan user profile basically has me as a student. So do I need to get Khan accounts for my kids? (I'd need email addresses for them too?) It looks like I could get google accounts to log them in with (I don't want them on FB yet, of course), after I have email set up for them.

I think Khan has done great things, and I hope he continues to improve on his program. My guess is that the program is better than a lot of programs the public schools use.

However, I have not, as of yet, been particularly impressed with the teaching from a conceptual angle - it seems it leans rather procedural - although I haven't watched many videos in a long time. (am I just spoiled by RR and AoPS?)

I set up an account for myself (I used Facebook to log in, and set that to "Only Me" so stuff doesn't show up on FB). So my Khan user profile basically has me as a student. So do I need to get Khan accounts for my kids? (I'd need email addresses for them too?) It looks like I could get google accounts to log them in with (I don't want them on FB yet, of course), after I have email set up for them.

This is how I did it for my kids. I am their coach, they have gmail accounts that are only used for logging into Khan. I couldn't figure out any other way to be able to utilize all the tools available.

~coffee~

This is how I did it for my kids. I am their coach, they have gmail accounts that are only used for logging into Khan. I couldn't figure out any other way to be able to utilize all the tools available.

~coffee~

Yes, I set up gmail accounts for both of my kids, with my email as the alternate and of course I know the password. Depending on how you look at it, they are really my email accounts. (My older son is at a private school that uses email a fair amount so it was helpful for him in any case.) I then set up Khan accounts for each of them. And later added myself as coach when I figured that part out. :) So I can look through my Khan account at what each of them are doing -- or of course sometimes I just look at their account. Still, I think it is useful. I don't use the coach feature as much, but it is *definitely* helpful for them to have their own accounts to track their own progress. The "pupil having their own accounts and tracking progress" is such a key feature of Khan for me that I can't imagine using it without it.

BTW, the Khan presentation from last night is on-line in case anyone missed it.