Menu

What did you use to teach cursive to your lefty?

myfatherslily

My lefty DD, almost 8, is interested in learning cursive. She has good fine motor skills and writes well. HWT is my default, but I don't love the style :) I love HWT printing and the general layout of the books! I am leaning toward this because she can do it on her own. She's motivated enough to learn that I could probably just hand it to her and never mention it again. MAJOR PLUS.

Phonics Road starts teaching cursive later in the year. Though I've decided to back off on PR and use something else, I might try to get her started using that. The author is left-handed, so I have confidence in that! Her style is simple, like HWT, but not as... ugly. Mrs. Beers has perfect handwriting.

Those are both very good options, but give me more! I want to know ALL my options. What did you use? :bigear:

I'm using the instructions in Writing Road to Reading with a struggling adult learner who is a lefty. The font has less slant than many other fonts, so is good for a lefty.

We looked at HWOT for her about a year ago and after buying StartWrite just for the font, decided not to use it. We actually found the straight connectors awkward to write, never mind ugly.

Cursive First is almost identical to the WRTR font and comes with worksheets and other "helps" but we stopped using it, and I am just in her face, teaching from the simple instructions in WRTR.

Teaching the WRTR font is a lot of work for me, right NOW, but she is learning so quickly and correctly that I think there won't be years of worksheets needed. And when she does practice, it won't be with worksheets.

WRTR uses precise scripts and teaches combinations of just a few strokes. Similar letters are taught together so the student can practice a stroke and see how it is used in multiple ways.

I used WRTR with myself first and in maybe 3 hours my handwriting showed remarkable improvement.

After a week of about one hour a day of instruction, my student went from illegible writing to better than average, when doing a single letter at a time. She isn't ready yet to use the font when writing in general. We are going to start with 3 letter spelling words tomorrow and teach the parts of speech and spelling rules at the same time, while introducing these otherwise too easy spelling words.

I don't think worksheets would be less work in the LONG RUN, but we shall see :-0

I bought a random cursive workbook at the teacher store. I looked through them all until I found a book that had sample words and letters above the blanks, instead of to the left (under her hand). It also had pictures in the front to show a lefty how to angle the book. After that book, she started with Cursive Connections.

Used Handwriting without Tears. It was just OK. We worked and worked and worked. She is in 8th grade now, and her handwriting is OK if she's going slow and trying. But, it's not too great if she's writing quickly. But, with all that said, it's better than I had hoped when we started out.