Menu

Math Options for 1st Grade

Math is not my best subject by far. I keep reading all the math threads and feel like I might need help choosing a math curriculum. I really don't know what to look for.

For this year (K) we are using Singapore Earlybird 2A & 2B. DD6 really likes it and does fine with it. We are not really going for mastery-just introduction.

I have MUS Primer that a friend gave me but I have no idea if that's a good program or not.

So could some of you math whizzes hold my hand and help me understand how to choose?

#1 Because I am NOT a math whiz and

#2 because I don't want something to zoom thru concepts

I have chosen Rod and Staff.

It holds my hand and it doesn't advance before my child is ready. I have tried ABeka and Singapore and both were dismal failures for us. Too much too soon. Now if your child gets math concepts AND memorizes facts very quickly I would choose something other than R&S.

I have found that Right Start Math is a great way to teach kids how to think mathematically even if you, as the teacher, isn't mathy. It will make you mathy. :lol: That said, a lot of people don't like the time it takes to teach Right Start. I spend about 20-30 minutes on math a day.

Miquon is a wonderful way for a child to really understand math. You can have your child play with the c-rods for a couple of weeks and then start in Book Orange. I do recommend getting the Lab Annotations and the First Grade Diary. The other book (I can't remember what it is called) is very short, but very useful to help understand how the program works.

Miquon pairs really well with Singapore Math. You could just keep on going with that. I find it is easy to teach, especially if you have the HIGS.

Finally, if you don't want an asian math, I highly recommend McRuffy Color Math. It is an excellent program. It just doesn't teach in the asian way that I prefer.

Asian math refers to a way about thinking about math--understanding numbers and finding multiple ways of solving problems, thinking about math conceptually, instead of just memorizing facts. Right Start, Singapore, Miquon are all popular programs that teach this style of math.

I have not used Miquon, but I have looked over the book. We used Singapore briefly. Both are outstanding programs, but Right Start is a good fit for us because there are very few worksheets for kindergarten and first grade, and everything you need is in the Teacher's Edition. I am NOT mathy, and RS gave me confidence in teaching math. The reason we didn't stick with Singapore was simply a personal preference--with RS, I have one book to look at. With Singapore, there is the HIG (home instructor's guide), the textbook (colorful, and used to illustrated concepts), and the consumable workbook where the student shows his work. (They have other supplements such as a Challenging Word Problems book and a test book as well.) After using on the RS TE, I had a hard time juggling all of those books to teach a lesson. But as I said, this is just a personal preference.

Some people get sticker shock with RS when they see the cost of the book and manipulatives. If you can look at the TE first, you will see you don't need everything up front. You can get away with the TE, student worksheets, and some popsicle sticks at first! See if you can borrow the book or at least look at it first before you make the commitment, and that might help your decision-making process. I talked to a great rep at our local homeschool convention, and I have been sold on RS ever since!

I am using HOD Beyond math activities, singapore 1a and 1b workbooks, miquin, crods and MUS primer and alpha. :) also sprinkling in some montessori math activities and supplies.

Working great for ds7!

I know it sounds like a ton, but we don't do all of it daily and we loves math. We use HOD as the main guide and do free play w miquin and montessori stuff. Mus like once a week.

We like BJU. I like that it teaches each concept in units, but still reviews what the child has already learned. A Beka spiraled too much for us. It was, new concept, new concept, new concept, review, new concept, new, new, new, review. Even my mathy DD was overwhelmed. I considered going back to Singapore (we used it for K), but I tried it with my oldest and didn't feel it had enough review.

BJU is also scripted, and comes with all the components you need. You can check out samples here.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

HTH!

We really like CLE here. In the 1st grade, the teacher is pretty involved, but they gradually get the student to more independence. My 3rd and 4th graders work through their lessons on their own, since the new concepts are right there in the workbook for them to read. I do help when needed of course, and I also check their work immediately so that they can re-work any missed problems.

We are former users of R&S and Singapore. I think that CLE has a good mix of what I liked about the other programs I was using, so I don't feel the need to supplement. CLE is a spiral program; each lesson has a variety of problems to keep reviewing all of the previously taught concepts.

I am using Horizons K for our core, but I will be supplementing with Miquon as I just ordered the necessary tools. We also supplement with Life of Fred and a little with MEP. Next year I will be switching to Singapore for my first grader as that is what my older son uses and it works well for us! One thing to think about is whether your first grader would do better with a mastery based math program or a spiral approach.

thank you all for your help. I have a few more questions

1. which programs are asian math?

2. which are spiral?

3. which are mastery?

4. why do so many people use multiple programs?

I'm really not sure what would be best for dd (spiral vs mastery). I think mastery but I can't really say why.

This discussion is so helpful!

thank you all for your help. I have a few more questions

1. which programs are asian math?

2. which are spiral?

3. which are mastery?

4. why do so many people use multiple programs?

I'm really not sure what would be best for dd (spiral vs mastery). I think mastery but I can't really say why.

This discussion is so helpful!

From what I can remember: Asian - Singapore, MM; Sprial - CLE, Saxon, Horizons; Mastery - Singapore, Math Mammoth? (not sure about others)

I only started using multiple programs because I wanted my son to be able to do mental math/conceptual and to have more simple drill and understand how to predictable math and practice answering basic addition/subtraction.

ETA: I can't remember which MUS is ... I thought it was mastery but it did have some review.

Well, I could tell you what works for us, but I think the important thing is that you think through what you want and what you are comfortable with...

Do you want a conceptual math program - one that helps your child understand the math concepts and not just memorize the steps to solving specific types of problems?

If yes, then are you willing to learn along with your child as you go along?

If yes, then what style do you and your child like best? Colorful? B&W? Workbooky? Lots on a page? Little on a page? Manipulatives? Discovery? Lecture? Mastery? Spiral?

You may not know the answers to these questions, and that's OK. In that case, read, read, read what other people like and see what appeals to you. See if you can get to a convention or borrow someone's books to actually sit and look through so you have a better idea of what each curriculum is like. And eventually make a choice. And if it doesn't work out, try something different until you find one that works.

Now, if you're actually interested in what's worked for us....

We do Singapore and Miquon and LOVE both. Singapore is strong in mental math and word problems. It is more traditional in it's style of teaching and it's sequence of topics. My kids have strong mental math abilities because of this program. Miquon is discovery based and probably looks like nothing you've ever seen. It is very plain looking, but that plainness hides a true gem. My kids "get" math because of this program. They understand fractions and number bonds and the distributive property - things that would have scared me to death several years ago! I've learned along with my girls in most programs. I always got good grades in math but never understood why I was doing what I was taught to do. These 2 programs have made the lightbulb go on. I'm so glad we've found them!

RightStart is AWESOME!!! Not only will your child totally get math, YOU will too!!! It's 100% scripted, so it tells you every single thing to say. In quotes. Then it tells you if the child says this, they get it, and if they say this, they don't, and they tell you what to do about that. You cannot mess it up!

It does take one-on-one time with your child - if you are looking to hand your kid a workbook and go wash the dishes while do math, RS is not the program for you!

There are very few worksheets in RS - it's almost all done with manipulatives.

--------

We have really enjoyed Miquon as well, but if you are not mathy, it will be a little nerve-wracking at first. It's WEIRD. It works, but it is really weird!

--------

Math Mammoth is similar to Singapore, but in smaller chunks. All instructions and explanations are directly in the student pages, so a child who reads well may be able to be a little more independent with that one.

I have MUS Primer that a friend gave me but I have no idea if that's a good program or not.

I *think* for 1st grade, you would need the next level up - Alpha - but I am not sure.

If you do go with MUS, be aware that the sequencing is very different from most other math programs. They do ALL of addition first, then ALL of subtraction, etc. Rather than doing one digit addition, one digit subtraction, then two digit addition, etc. If there is any chance of your child going to public/private school before you finish the series, he may be advanced in some areas and never heard of other things that the other kids can already do.

How important is math to you?

How much time do you want to spend self-educating?

How much time do you want to spent teaching?

Do you want that time to be worksheet, chalkboard, living book, or manipulative driven?

How much can you spend? Do you want to print or not print?

Do you want to stick closely to your state standards, or do you not care about that?

How important is math to you?

Well since I never really 'got' math and avoided it like the plague its important to me that she have a better outlook on it than I did.

How much time do you want to spend self-educating?

I like reading/researching when I know where/what to look for.

How much time do you want to spent teaching?

Ah, this is the hard one. I have 3 littles so I have to be 'efficient' with my time.

Do you want that time to be worksheet, chalkboard, living book, or manipulative driven?

I don't like chalkboard much but the rest is fine.

How much can you spend? Do you want to print or not print?

Cheaper the better. I would rather have it printed but I do have means to print.

Do you want to stick closely to your state standards, or do you not care about that?

I don't care.

Sorry it takes so long for me to get back to everyone. I have my hands full with a newborn right now :001_smile:

I appreciate all the help.

I think of all the subjects, math requires the best fit for you and your child. When you can't understand the teaching method, you can't teach it to your child. If your child has certain learning needs, the curriculum should meet those needs. Since you have a newborn, you probably want a program that is open and go. Lots of planning or many manipulatives would make things harder for you.

It doesn't sound like you're familiar with the various math programs. I would see if there's a local homeschool group, used curriculum book store, or even a conference nearby. Holding the books in your hand and looking through the lessons can make a big difference in your selection. Finding local moms can help guide your choice. In my experience, hs moms are willing to talk about their curriculum choices, particularly when it comes to math. Look through the Rainbow Resource table of contents and sample lessons. I would recommend that once you make a provider selection that you try to stay with it through the traditional grades 1-6 sequence. Different publishers introduce concepts at different times and curriculum hopping can lead to gaps.

When we started homeschooling, I knew I wanted Singapore Math, and I've supplemented the curriculum to fit my children's needs. It's worked well for us, but may not be a good fit for you. There is no perfect curriculum out there. You should make a best fit choice and enhance it to suit the needs of your child and you.

Another vote for RightStart. We absolutely LOVE it! I started out the year using a mastery, workbook approach for our math curriculum and ditched it for RS and haven't looked back since. It is time consuming, but I feel (at this age anyways) math and LA are the 2 most important subjects to spend my time on. RS is truly a genius program. Why do I think so? Many reasons;

1. It breaks math down into easily understandable and digestible parts that build gradually on concepts so nothing is hard or overwhelming. Before you know it, your 1st grader will add 64+98 in his head faster than you can!

2. It is math made fun!

3. It teaches a strong fundation of mental math

4. It teaches concepts, not memorization. Everything is broken down and understood

5. It is scripted and open and go. No printing lessons off the internet, no tracking down household make-shift manipulatives.

6. It is fun! (wait did I already mention that one ;)). Seriously, no 5-million workpages to complete in 1 day. There are lots of fun games that are used to reinforce and assess learning.

I could go on..and on. Seriously ;) we love it. My son loves it. He started the year absolutely crying and hating math, now it is his favorite and he is absolutely soaring with this program. It's got my vote. I will use it for all my kids!

Edited by Marie131