Menu

Lively Art of Writing...anyone made up a schedule for this?

Just curious to see if anyone has already scheduled this out.

Thanks!

No--but am reading through it now. I love her writing style and examples, but find the assignment topics very dated (1960s). The explanations are great, though, and I will be using this in conjunction with Elegant Essay to teach my gr 8 son essay writing next year.

Another book I've used previously alongside EE is The Pen Commandments--fun reading.

There aren't answers to the assignments....

But dd18 is just reading it like a book, and picking a few writing asssignments to do. She really likes the book and says it has helped improve her writing (and thinking) skills.

We also have done a few chapters of Windows to the World. The annotating chapter and allusion chapter were great. Dd is graduating, so I'm not sure we will finish this, but what we have done has also been beneficial.

Still Waters is the person who did the workbook, do a Lively Art of Writing search on this forum, it will come up (sorry I don't know how to link.)

Edited by Susan C.

I taught this to my writing class for the first semester of this year. We did about a chapter a week. Here's the schedule:

Wk Topic Chapters

1 The essay, expository writing Ch. 1

2 Thesis Ch. 2,3

3 Writing process, revision

4 Parts of an essay Ch. 4,6

5 The big mistakes, persuasive writing Ch. 5

6 Transitions Ch. 7

7 Voice and tense, academic response Ch. 8

8 Fist steps in style Ch. 9

9 Parallel construction, literary analysis Ch. 10

10 A way with words Ch. 11

11 Many little mistakes Ch. 12

12 Review

Here are the assignments to go with those weeks:

Week 3 to 5: expository essay

Week 6 to 7: persusasive essay

Week 8 to 9: academic response paper

Week 10 to 11: literary analysis

Week 12: assigned "bad essay" (in book) and another academic response (to a Christmas story or poem) to work on over break

I pulled in a lot of internet resources as well as corresponding chapters in Elements of Style, which some had used before and some hadn't. They read the chapter before class, and we discussed the exercises in class, as well as some material I created for discussion. I didn't make them write anything out, because that seemed like busy work. Instead, I looked for evidence in their actual writing and edited with an eye to the content we had covered.

Edited by angela in ohio

Here are the assignments to go with those weeks:

Week 3 to 5: expository essay

Week 6 to 7: persusasive essay

Week 8 to 9: academic response paper

Week 10 to 11: literary analysis

Week 12: assigned "bad essay" (in book) and another academic response (to a Christmas story or poem) to work on over break

I thought the whole book was about writing persuasive essays. And, what's an academic response paper? :001_huh:

Oh, thank you so much everyone!

If you don't mind another question...I was considering checking out Elegant Essay, would this be above (do after LAoW), below (do before LAoW) or redundant (don't bother with it at all) to the instruction in LAoW?

Thanks.

I thought the whole book was about writing persuasive essays. And, what's an academic response paper? :001_huh:

No. Chapters 1-4 and 6-7 are about writing an essay, not necessarily persuasive, though some of the examples are persuasive topics. Chapters 5 and 8-12 are about more general stylistic concerns. Chapter 13 is about some miscellaneous types of writing (including the "bad essay" I assign.) Chapter 14 is actually about term papers, but I used other materials for that.

An academic response is a type of writing often done in college classes. You study an assigned reading and then you respond to the technique of the author, content, or both.

My ds is taking an essay class at a co-op and using Lively Art of Writing as the text. They are going through the book about one chapter every 2 weeks. In addition they are writing about 7 essays to practice what they are learning along the way.

I used the first half of the workbook that the gal on here put together for her son. I PM'd or emailed her to ask for the second half of the workbook, but she never responded back to me. It was helpful just to have a place for my ds to write down answers to the questions.

Edited by Evergreen State Sue

Oh, thank you so much everyone!

If you don't mind another question...I was considering checking out Elegant Essay, would this be above (do after LAoW), below (do before LAoW) or redundant (don't bother with it at all) to the instruction in LAoW?

Thanks.

The Elegant Essay offers more of a step-by-step approach to all the parts of an essay--thesis statement, topic sentence for body paragraph, body paragraph, intro and conclusion, how to include quotations. It does not focus on style. LAoW is much more engaging to read than EE (oh, so very much more!) and does include instruction on style, but moves more rapidly through the structural aspects of essay writing.

I've used EE along with The Pen Commandments and my own worksheets to teach essay writing classes, but although I had LAoW on my shelf, I didn't actually read it till recently (much to my regret). Next year I'll be taking my gr 8 son through essay writing and plan to combine all 3 books--EE for the basics of step-by-step practice in beginning essay writing; LAoW for its engaging tone, excellent explanations, and review of style; and PC for fun:)