Menu

Art for 1st grade

rebecheka

I hope to begin art next year with my son (beyond the fun "crafty" type projects we're doing this year). Would you recommend Artistic Pursuits, Drawing with Children, or something completely different? My level of artistic ability is pretty low - think stick figures. Thanks for the tips!

We use both Drawing with Children and Artistic Pursuits. I love both programs, but Drawing with Children has a limited number of suggestions for projects and Artistic Pursuits doesn't have tons of drawing instruction in the K-3 books. It probably sounds crazy to use two art programs, but it works. We go through the basics with Drawing with Children to establish a general approach to seeing and drawing, but then we apply those techniques to the art projects from Artistic Pursuits.

We've had a lot of fun with World's Greatest Artists, which is completely free. It isn't a stand alone art program, but it was a great starting point for introducing my kids to some well known artists. We used Mike Venezia's books along with books by Laurence Anholt and the Smart About Art series. It might be fun to do while you decide on an art program :001_smile:

We will be doing Harmony Fine Arts (I used it with my friend's 1st grader a couple years ago and I think it a good program for me to implement).

I am interested in more art projects and drawing and such also (the above curriculum does include art to do, just not to the degree I know my kids, esp the 6yo, would like). Hopefully y'all have great ideas there.

Edited by 2J5M9K

We use Drawing with Children, Artistic Pursuits and Mark Kistler's Draw Squad online.

They are all great, but I think DWC is pretty hard to transfer into lesson plans. I love the instruction in the book and it has helped ME become a better drawer, but I only got a few lessons out of it that were suitable for my dc.

Someone on the boards recommended Scott Foresman art books about a year ago. We love them! They are perfect for using with children. Easy to understand instructions, a variety of projects and mediums, plus some art appreciation thrown in as well. You can find them really cheap on Amazon used (less than $10 including shipping).

Here is the link for the first grade book.

This year we have used Artistic Pursuits book 1 and we LOVE it! For drawing instruction, we like the simplicity for this age of Draw, Write, Now. We skip the writing and just draw the pictures. We use various art books for appreciation, including Come Look With Me series (fantastic).

We will continue next year with Artistic Pursuits book 2, Usborne Book of Art for appreciation, and Draw and Write Through History/Draw Write Now for drawing.