Menu

Protein for breakfast?

Any validity to this? DS11 is probably ADHD - inattentive, mild dysgraphic and all-around bright. We've had a rough 2 weeks, he asks for eggs this morning and goes on to have a very nice day to the point of me thinking I've entered the twilight zone bc he was mature and respectful...a lovely young man I'd like to see more of. It reminded me that at some point, maybe september? I had made a point of getting up early to make him eggs every morning. I don't remember why I thought to do this, but I do recall that things went well at the time. Then for some reason...probably laziness...I stopped and forgot all about it. He went back to cereal or oatmeal. Is there any rationale for why this would help? I do suspect he's mild hypoglycemic too if that makes a difference. Thanks! Brownie

Our whole family does better with protein for breakfast. Carbs tend to make us want to go back to bed a few hours after we get up! The only carb I can get away with is steel cut oats, but I still need to mix it w/2% Greek yogurt (high protein). You might be able to get away with high quality cereal w/organic or raw cream. We have switched to the steel cut oats (use a recipe I got off of the general forum), and make muesli with it, and mix w/the yogurt and fruit when we eat it.

I've never posted on this particular board, but the title of this thread happened to catch my eye. Yes, absolutely, protein for breakfast makes a big difference to my children! (And for me, for that matter.) Cold cereal, even oatmeal, makes them hungry again in an hour, and they can't focus or sit still at all. If they have good protein and fat, however, especially eggs, they do much better.

ETA: Google says eggs are a good source of choline, and choline supports brain function. It looks like it might be helpful in managing ADHD. Focus Factor for kids has choline in it, and though I am still trying to get into the habit of remembering to give it to her, it does seem to help my DD focus.

Edited by happypamama

I have heard a few places that gifted people often have reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar a little while after eating sugar/carbs). I don't know if that has been scientifically established.

I know I don't feel well if I have carbs w/o protein. I usually have a waffle with peanut butter every morning. On our first day of homeschool this year we had doughnuts for fun and I felt ill from it.

If I just eat carbs I get shaky, cranky, sweaty, and weak about 20 or 30 minutes later. I don't think the kids have as much of a reaction, but I know they get cranky if their blood sugar is low.

Since I got pregnant last Fall and had major pain ( 3 weeks ) in my gut... we started soaking our raw oats overnight to ferment them with cultured cream or buttermilk...and we do try to eat at least 1 farm egg with this.

Lately, since I cut out cereal completely then too... we have been eating eggs every morning with Ezekiel bread, or high fiber pancakes, or pumpkin bread, muffins, etc. I cannot eat doughnuts and when I do I suffer, sugar gets me down and has for years... I feel bad for 3 days if I don't eat enough protein and too much sugar.

My dd12 is the same way, she gets irritable if she eats too much sugar and seems to crave carbs.

She likes protein shakes with banana and almond or peanut butter too.

My SPD dd loves eggs but only the yolks. She also LOVES my pancakes. However most would think...pancakes aren't that good for you. But mine are :p So I make those almost DAILY and my kids gobble them up and are fine. My middler dd would prefer a fruit salad. She picks from our tiered plate display on the table with fruit and our fruit dish on the counter as well as the fridge. She says it's like shopping :p My ds loves pancakes every morning with a heaping pile of frozen blueberries on top.

I agree protein is important. Especially in the morning.

My pancakes are with brown rice flour, almond flour, millet flour, tapioca flour, coconut oil, almond & vanilla extract, eggs, honey, guar gum, baking powder, sea salt, ground flax seeds, chia seeds & coconut milk.

My oldest and I pretty much have to have a protein every 2-3 hours or we are CRANKY! He does start the day with a carb to get him moving, but I try to serve a protein shortly thereafter. We deal with multiple food allergies so the protein is usually a lunch-type food.

I guess Atkins had that right ;)! What I can say is that while my husband and I did the Atkins diet several years ago (eating eggs for breakfast and lots of protein in every meal), not only did we lose weight but we felt better than we had ever felt in a long time. We are now more than likely going to go the GFCF way as a family :). I am currently researching the GFCF and Specific Carbohydrate diets to see which will work for us.

My pancakes are with brown rice flour, almond flour, millet flour, tapioca flour, coconut oil, almond & vanilla extract, eggs, honey, guar gum, baking powder, sea salt, ground flax seeds, chia seeds & coconut milk.

Would you mind posting or PMing me that recipe? That sounds great!

Protein for breakfast helps my entire family. Our pediatrician is a big believer in it. (Both my sons have been prone to migraines caused by low blood sugar, plus the younger one is ADD.)

My younger son has much better school days when he eats protein in the morning. He can be a very picky eater, so sometimes the best I can do is get him to eat a cheese stick. But at least he's off the super high carb breakfasts he used to eat.

I'll post my extra yummy (and nutritious) pancake recipe.. :D I like this recipe because it has a lot of eggs and we've already declared eggs to be a great breakfast, right? The coconut flour is high in fiber and the coconut oil has ketones that are so powerful that it can even REVERSE Alzheimer's disease! Definitely use coconut oil as much as possible!!

I make a big batch of these and freeze to pull out through the week. The following recipe makes about 30-40 small to medium-sized pancakes, depending on the consistency of your batter (I make our batter slightly runny). My husband actually came up with the following recipe, which I think he had modified from another source, but I'm not sure of the source.

Coconut pancakes

8 eggs

2 cups coconut milk (I use one 15 oz. can usually and then add a bit of water)

4 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp honey

2 tbsp coconut oil (warm it in the microwave for a few seconds to get it to liquid form)

1 cup coconut flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp Celtic sea salt

Blend eggs in a blender/processor until frothy. blend in the coconut milk, vanilla, and honey. In a separate bowl, combine and thoroughly mix the coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry using a fork. At first you will think you have added too much liquid, but give it a minute and the batter will thicken up.. You might even need to add a little water eventually to thin it out again. Coconut flour is very absorbent! This is why so many eggs are required in recipes that use coconut flour. Sometimes I cut in a little teff flour as well.. In that case, I reduce the eggs. Anyway, when the batter is to the consistency of your liking (we like it slightly runny so I usually add a bit more water) then start making those pancakes! They are soooo good!! We do not use syrup.. We spread (very lightly) some raw cinnamon honey spread or eat them without any spread. You could also do fruit preserves. These pancakes do not have a coconut taste.. They taste absolutely delicious.. My kids beg for them.

Between the eggs and the coconut oil, these pancakes are a fantastic breakfast for inattentive little ones!! You could also throw in some flax seed meal for some Omega 3's.

Edited by Misty

Thank you :D!

May I ask what some of the recipe books you use are? I would love a recipe thread! Not that you have the time but just throwing it out there for your consideration and hoping to get some support from others ;).

Most mornings, I make my DS11 a scrambled egg, turkey sausage, and fresh spinach burrito. I use a low carb tortilla. I have noticed he's fuller longer and he seems to be able to pay attention more. He's noticed the difference too and actually asks me to make the breakfast burrito for him vs. eating a bowl of cereal.

Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart.

I totally agree that protein is my secret weapon for controlling behavior around here. I get a lot of recipes from http://www.formulazone.com. If you happen to be a member, you can sign in to see my success story on the first page.

We have a chocolate milk recipe we like, canadian bacon sandwiches for breakfast, and chocolate peanut butter yogurt, among many others. When my kids eat a balanced meal too, it is SO much calmer around here because it maintains a steady blood sugar level.

The one challenge is getting my son with chewing problems to chew stuff like meat. He does better with the special chocolate milk recipe.

I'm collecting compatible recipes that can be frozen ahead of time so it will be easier to get meals. There are even somw ready-made meals at the store that are considered balanced.

Here lately, I've been getting a lot of my recipes from the Tropical Traditions website and various blogs.. I usually just google what I want to make and I usually find a blog with a good recipe.

Thanks again for all your input Misty :)!

I just found this yahoo group in the "Autism & ADHD Diet" book. Linking it for those that are following the GFCF diet. The book has some recipes also, and I have "Cooking for Isaiah" on the way. That should be here on Monday.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/GFCFrecipes/

Thanks again for all your input Misty :)!

I just found this yahoo group in the "Autism & ADHD Diet" book. Linking it for those that are following the GFCF diet. The book has some recipes also, and I have "Cooking for Isaiah" on the way. That should be here on Monday.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/GFCFrecipes/

I think I used to be on that group.. There is another more active group, I think, that I found to be more helpful (and more on topic) called GFCFKids . Barrie is on this group, but she does not post but every so often.

I think I used to be on that group.. There is another more active group, I think, that I found to be more helpful (and more on topic) called GFCFKids . Barrie is on this group, but she does not post but every so often.

Cool, joined that too! Thanks :)!