Menu

Just breaks your heart, doesn't it?

If your dishwasher dies, as mine did, it's extremely important to have children who are able to do the dishes until you can get a replacement. In fact, all chores should be done by children. That's why we had five kids, and would like more. :lol: Perhaps the suffering rich could look into procreating some dog walkers and housekeepers. I'm just trying to think outside the box. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You were such a forward thinker when you were having those babies! :D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. The vitriol by some members is astounding. This man pays 30% or more of his income to the federal government, plus a large chunk to NY state. Then, tuition for his children to go to school.

I wonder how much he works. My husband does quite well financially, but he works quite hard, typically 50-60 hours a week, on top of the law school class he teaches, plus Bible class twice a week.

And we share plenty of our money. We donate to friends, tithe to our church, and other various charities. We share our time and our home.

Please don't judge me because I live in a nice house and I have a little money.

Wow. The vitriol by some members is astounding. This man pays 30% or more of his income to the federal government, plus a large chunk to NY state. Then, tuition for his children to go to school.

I wonder how much he works. My husband does quite well financially, but he works quite hard, typically 50-60 hours a week, on top of the law school class he teaches, plus Bible class twice a week.

And we share plenty of our money. We donate to friends, tithe to our church, and other various charities. We share our time and our home.

Please don't judge me because I live in a nice house and I have a little money.

I don't think ppl are reacting simply b/c the ppl mentioned in the article have a nice house and money...

It's the idea that someone is suffering hardships based upon not taking 4 mths vacation at a summer house.

It's hard for ppl to find sympathy when so many families are struggling to survive. Not a matter of facing cutting some luxuries, but genuine survival...food on the table, a roof over their heads, clothing for their children. Being upside down on their home, looking at foreclosure.

*That* is hardship.

Whenever I think "what is real hardship," I think of when I was traveling in India. Obviously I saw many situations that would have been considered poverty in the USA, but the one that always comes to mind is the family sleeping on the pavement without so much as a ratty cloth between their faces and the filthy ground.

I think it's been established that this article was intentionally inaccurate - intended to make us mad. For all we know, these individuals have given hundreds of thousands to charitable causes, on top of paying huge tax bills. For all we know, they were born poor and are now supporting the less fortunate members of their families. More likely than not, they have all the sympathy in the world for people who are worse off. None of us can save the world.

Being misquoted and manipulated so some journalist can make more money sucks.

It's the idea that someone is suffering hardships based upon not taking 4 mths vacation at a summer house.

It's hard for ppl to find sympathy when so many families are struggling to survive. Not a matter of facing cutting some luxuries, but genuine survival...food on the table, a roof over their heads, clothing for their children. Being upside down on their home, looking at foreclosure.

*That* is hardship.

I don't think anyone quoted in the article ever compared themselves with people who couldn't put food on the table.

I honestly think the reporter asked them something along the lines of how they were scaling back as a result of the current economy, and they mentioned a few of the things they were doing without. I didn't get the impression that they were ready to hang themselves because they were so horribly deprived.

I also didn't think they were trying to get anyone to pity them. And if they were feeling a little sorry for themselves, why shouldn't they? They have had to alter their lifestyles, and most of us wouldn't be too excited to have to do without the things we were used to enjoying.

Then I think you should be required to live 6 months or even 3 months on the amount people who have less than you have to live on.

You're also assuming they have always had the money they have now and have never lived on the amount most people have to live on—whatever amount that is.

Already answered this. I DID live in Kenya for a month, and would have stayed there much longer if I could have. :001_smile: I am more than willing to do so. But many of the people mentioned have not tried living that way.

I didn't mean it rudely, I meant it as an eye opener. When you've done something like that it really does open your eyes to how much you really truly have, and it's an amazingly awesome experience!!! Before I left after that month I gave all my clothes and shoes and everything I had there with me, except the clothes on my back away to the people there. I kept barely enough money to get home. The others I was with and I used most of our money to get clothes, shoes, food and books for an orphanage, and for a family who had a small hut and had taken in 5 extra kids because their parents had died of AIDS. It was a huge eye opening experience for me and I would do it again in a heartbeat.....only I'd take more stuff to give to them and more money to put to honest work!

Their woe at not knowing what to do with "only" $250,000/year is rather sad! Even in high expense places, people are living with WAY less pay than that. This guy just wants to live like he always thought he should--with lots of money and things (as he said). Probably LOTS of people would like to live with lots of money and things. At this point he's making over $200,000 more than many, many people that had that same dream.

I think they should be required to live 6 months, or even 3 on the amount that most people have to live on, THEN go back and see what they may be able to live without that they really don't need!

:iagree: All my sources of income combined(including child support, disability payments etc) comes to $30,000 per year. Making what that guy is would feel like winning the lottery. I get that to them it feels bad to cut back etc, but it doesn't change the fact that they are still quite weathy and makes them sound like whiners. Like I have seen said on this forums many times, 1st world problems for sure.

Like I have seen said on this forums many times, 1st world problems for sure.

The vast majority of what we discuss on this forum consists of "1st world problems."

Just look at the topics on the boards right now: choice of curriculum, how much to keep out on our kitchen countertops, paleo vs. primal diet, how to keep a journal, what type of sewing machine to buy for one's child, how to organize all our STUFF.

Many of these choices and situations come out of our material abundance itself. To most of us, say, mealworms in the pantry would be considered a bona fide problem worthy of advice and sympathy. But even that is a sign that we're privileged enough to have extra food on hand. (Not to mention that in some parts of the world, they are considered a good protein source. ;))

Edited by Eleanor

:iagree: All my sources of income combined(including child support, disability payments etc) comes to $30,000 per year. Making what that guy is would feel like winning the lottery. I get that to them it feels bad to cut back etc, but it doesn't change the fact that they are still quite weathy and makes them sound like whiners. Like I have seen said on this forums many times, 1st world problems for sure.

Quite honestly, I think anyone who spends a lot of time complaining about his or her money problems sounds like a whiner.

My level of sympathy isn't based upon how much money they make, but rather on what they are doing to work their way out of whatever they consider to be a bad financial situation.

If all someone does is whine, but he or she continues to spend frivolously and doesn't try to get a job or find another way to earn some extra money, I'm probably not going to feel sorry for them for very long. My real sympathy goes to the people who have overwhelming medical expenses, or who are living very frugally yet still can't make ends meet because they are continuously looking for, but can't find a job. But many of the people I know, who do the most whining and complaining, are doing it while they're sitting with me in an expensive restaurant and keeping an eye on their watch so they can be sure they're not late for their appointment at the day spa. :glare: