Menu

Kafka for a 4th grader?

Would you read Kafka's "Metamorphosis" with your 9yo?

Why, or why not?

Couldn’t read it for its perversity. The human mind isn’t complicated enough"

Albert Einstein, after returning a Kafka novel loaned to him by Thomas Mann.

No. I think that certain books need to be read when people are at the right maturity level to read them to really get the most out of them. That depends on a whole lot of things - reading level, difficulty/complexity of the themes and issues (the one I'd focus on with this work), a certain amount of life experience to bring to the reading. . .

No. I think that certain books need to be read when people are at the right maturity level to read them to really get the most out of them. That depends on a whole lot of things - reading level, difficulty/complexity of the themes and issues (the one I'd focus on with this work), a certain amount of life experience to bring to the reading. . .

This too. :rolleyes:

Edited by Geo
added smilie

On the other hand a man-turns-into-bug plot-line has enough inherent appeal to a 9 year old boy that they can be pulled into enjoying a great story with multidimensional levels of depth. I think is is a great gateway experience to more complex themes.

Bill

On the other hand a man-turns-into-bug plot-line has enough inherent appeal to a 9 year old boy that they can be pulled into enjoying a great story with multidimensional levels of depth. I think is is a great gateway experience to more complex themes.
I loved reading Kafka in college English. I ran across this book the other day and was wondering about the same thing - though I have a 10-year-old boy. I couldn't remember enough of the story, though, but was thinking: Man turns into bug? What boy wouldn't enjoy that?

Will have to re-read soon and see about putting it on our reading list for the year.

No. There are just SO many great books to read, and I think the only way to get to as many as we want to is to read each one at a point when they will be able to understand the most out of it, if that makes sense.

So what do you propose for 9 year old boys?

Bill

No. There are just SO many great books to read, and I think the only way to get to as many as we want to is to read each one at a point when they will be able to understand the most out of it, if that makes sense.

This is a good point.

I see it like Bill - the whole cool man-turned-bug aspect.

But Angela, your argument convinces me.

I guess we could read Kafka now if we wanted to, but we probably wouldn't read Roald Dahl in high school.

Sold.

Bill

My 10 yo (girl) would get nightmares and probably experience great anxiety, for many of the "right" reasons. She's simply not emotionally equipped to deal with it.

ETA: She is not an overly sensitive child when it comes to books, except when it comes to *big* questions wrapped in dark themes.

Edited by nmoira

Bill

Very true! But at the end of it all my boys would think someone was very weird to make a book out of such a story. They would prefer the movie version :D

My 10 yo (girl) would get nightmares and probably experience great anxiety, for many of the "right" reasons. She's simply not emotionally equipped to deal with it.

ETA: She is not an overly sensitive child when it comes to books, except when it comes to *big* questions wrapped in dark themes.

Guess what we started reading together a couple of day ago, and has been his "journaling" book the pst two nights???

Think stardust and gold :D

Bill

I see it like Bill - the whole cool man-turned-bug aspect.

But Angela, your argument convinces me.

I guess we could read Kafka now if we wanted to, but we probably wouldn't read Roald Dahl in high school.

I see both sides.

If you look at several popular homeschool reading list, they have children reading Shakespeare and Dickens at a young age. I don't see how Kafka is that different.

As far as nightmares go - James and the Giant Peach has both parents dying, leaving the orphaned boy to go live with awful aunts. :001_huh:

But there are so many wonderful books out there. You can't get them all read, no matter how hard you try.

Guess what we started reading together a couple of day ago, and has been his "journaling" book the pst two nights???

Think stardust and gold :D

:D Very cool.

I see both sides.

If you look at several popular homeschool reading list, they have children reading Shakespeare and Dickens at a young age. I don't see how Kafka is that different.

As far as nightmares go - James and the Giant Peach has both parents dying, leaving the orphaned boy to go live with awful aunts. :001_huh:

His parents were killed by a rhino, and I've yet to meet child who has had an existential crisis over Roald Dahl. Sure there are sensitive kids who can't handle it, but that's on a literal level.

I see both sides.

But there are so many wonderful books out there. You can't get them all read, no matter how hard you try.

So true. Sigh.

I think the problem with Metamorphosis is the separation from your family.. The father throwing an apple that lodges in the son's carapace and then rots with death at the end. I'd wait.

Of course, I read my 9yo A Modest Proposal the other day... But I'd wait on Kafka.

I would not initiate it myself.

If my children discovered it on their own, I would not be too opposed to them reading it.

:iagree:

I think the problem with Metamorphosis is the separation from your family.. The father throwing an apple that lodges in the son's carapace and then rots with death at the end. I'd wait.

There is nothing so terrible in the waking up one day to find yourself turned into a giant cockroach, I suppose, but the angst, the horrible family, the misery and despair? That was a bit tough to read through when I was a German lit major in college. It's not quite as terrible as reading the story "In the Penal Colony" but it's pretty full of misery and woe of a kind I'm not ready to throw on youngish kids.

On a side note, I suspect JK Rowlings had the Penal colony story in mind when she invented Dolores Umbridge and her nasty punishment pen.

I wouldn't introduce it. I read it, but have to confess I don't remember it well enough to see it through the eyes of a 9 yo to know. If there is nothing wildly inappropriate for the age, I'd be fine with it. :D Classics can be read and reread and enjoyed at different levels with advancing maturity.

I think sometimes things that seem very intense to an adult pass over the heads of young readers who don't have the life experience to comprehend them, so they don't have the same effect.

Edited by Penelope