Menu

February Crafters Update

What sort of thread mum am I? I still haven't got the computer and camera on speaking terms again. :glare:

Anyhow, I sewed a couple of badges on my blanket, as per my challenge for the year. I'm running behind, but there's time to catch up. ;) I also started working on a quilt about my FIL, but my sewing machine is refusing to zigzag so that came to a grinding halt. :mad: I have managed to borrow one, which hopefully will work and I'll be able to get back to it. Y'know, some time in the future when the universe allows me a full night sleep! Gaah!

So, cheer me up with pretty pictures of your wondrous talents!

:)

Rosie

I wove two scarves from the same warp. One is for dd's school silent auction and one is for ??? :confused: I'll save it for a while to figure out who gets it. I didn't get a picture of the first scarf, but I'll try to get one of the other. I still have more warp on the loom from this project. I must have miscalculated. But, I had to cut off the two scarves because the project was due on Monday and I was already late :001_huh:

Sorry that you need cheering, Rosie. I wish you a good night's sleep.

It has been a pretty good month for me. Attached is a photo of some darling (if I may say so) reversible pants that I made as a gift for my nephew and his wife, proud new parents. The pattern is from Anna Marie Horner's book Handmade Beginnings that I found at the library.

I also stitched a Morsbag for my sister. The link will lead you to instructions for a great beginner sewing project. In Britain, Morsbag pods sew bags to distribute to shoppers in an attempt to persuade people to ditch plastic. I added two extra features not shown in the photo. Inside there is a small zip pocket, large enough for a library card or some cash. I also made a detachable wristlet bag for a phone and sunglasses. The fabric is an upholstery sample that I found at a charity shop. The pocket and wristlet bag are made from sample swatches that coordinate.

Finally, I have finished a single sock for my dear husband. The pattern is a freebie from Ravelry, the Granit sock. The yarn is superwash wool with some nylon and alpaca. I love alpaca. :D Maybe he'll have its mate by the end of March?

This past week I read a slim volume of essays on yarn and knitting called Beyond Stitch and B***h. Between this book and the current issue of Piecework magazine, I started thinking about how former generations always carried their knitting, embroidery, etc. and would not think of just sitting without occupation. My new signature here is a nod to a previous time. I read in an article on Patriotic Knitting in Piecework that sock reserves were depleted during WWI, hence the quote from the needlework magazine, The Modern Priscilla. When the US and Europe ran out of military colored wool during the first World Qar, any color of yarn and any type of fiber went into sock making for the military. While women in the US were asked to knit socks, Italian women were put to work darning. What a very different world than today's!

C'mon ladies! I want to see photos!

Hugs to all,

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

What lovely work, Jane! I'm in awe of people who knit socks. I don't dare try, but am certain when the time comes, I must learn from the beginning to knit both together. I've never seen it, but only heard of it. One gets knitted inside out or something. It seems like the most esoteric of arts to me and I'll feel so clever if I ever master it! Good work with the shopping bag. Fabric bags are being used more and more here too. Have you tried making them with gores?

I love hanging about with SCAers. They all carry their embroidery about too. :) Well, dh didn't. He got to be known on the train line in our old town as the chainmail guy...

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

What lovely work, Jane! I'm in awe of people who knit socks. I don't dare try, but am certain when the time comes, I must learn from the beginning to knit both together. I've never seen it, but only heard of it. One gets knitted inside out or something. It seems like the most esoteric of arts to me and I'll feel so clever if I ever master it! Good work with the shopping bag too. Fabric bags are being used more and more here too. Rosie

Thank you. I took my first sock knitting class in March 2011. I have been considering taking a class on the two at a time method, but there is a part of me saying that I want to stick with traditional double points.

By the way, this is the start of my sixth pair--looks like I average a sock a month.

If it is any consolation, I did not learn to knit socks until my son left for college. Ahem. You have a few years before that happens. ;)

I don't know if you can see everything in the picture, but there are a couple of bird's nest pendants, a butterfly pendant, a button bracelet, some wire dragonfly earrings and two beaded dragonflies. I got carried away with the bird's nests and have half a dozen more. These are the results of lots of experiment, time on Pinterest ;), and searching the internet for easy projects.

I've been really enjoying my new sewing machine. I made a twirly skirt for my neice's birthday, a bedside pocket for my nephew's birthday and aprons with matching ovenmits for two of my sisters who also have February birthdays.

All the other beautiful work here is so inspiring.