Menu

Educational things to see or do near Norfolk, VA

I am driving from northern Illinois to visit my daughter who recently got married and moved to Norfolk. It will be me, my dd23, dd19, ds6, ds3, and ds2 - so a mixed age group. We are looking for a few things to see or do while we are there that the kids would find interesting and are educational. We travel frequently but we've never been out east and I've heard there are some really great things to see out that way but searching on Google was overwhelming. I'd love some suggestions from real people :)

Oh my goodness...this is a great place for educational museums (we're in Portsmouth). You've had some suggestions...there's also the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News, the Virginia Air and Space Museum and IMAX in Hampton, the Va Aquarium and Marine Science Museum in Virginia Beach. Someone mentioned but it really should be stressed that Yorktown, Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg are all within 45-60 min. They're all great. You can also go to the Cape Henry Memorial (a monument and lookout) where the English colonists landed before founding Jamestown.

This is a very historic are with lots to do. Most cost $$ so you'll want to plan. You can walk through Colonial Williamsburg for free but not have entrance to the little stores and museums. They're (along with Jamestown and Yorktown) having their homeschool weeks right now if you're coming very soon. It's fantastic!! Have lots of fun!

Thank you all so much for these suggestions!! Sounds like there is much more to do than we will ever have time for. My daughter will be living there for probably 10 years (husband is stationed in there and in IT so he won't be going anywhere) so we will have plenty of opportunities to do many of these things.

Is Jamestown the one where they have all the re-enactments of colonial times jobs like a blacksmith or a wagon wheel maker and a little pretend town you can walk through? I know the boys (and I!) would especially enjoy these things and I think I saw something on TV one time about this.

Thank you all so much for these suggestions!! Sounds like there is much more to do than we will ever have time for. My daughter will be living there for probably 10 years (husband is stationed in there and in IT so he won't be going anywhere) so we will have plenty of opportunities to do many of these things.

Is Jamestown the one where they have all the re-enactments of colonial times jobs like a blacksmith or a wagon wheel maker and a little pretend town you can walk through? I know the boys (and I!) would especially enjoy these things and I think I saw something on TV one time about this.

Jamestown has recreated areas - like a Native American area and they have models of the first 3 ships to come over. It's smaller than Colonial Williamsburg. If your children are older, I'd recommend Colonial Williamsburg. They do have reenactments and people dressed up in time-period clothes, strolling down the roads. We just went last week for their homeschool days. Not every shop is open every day so you'd want to get that information before going AND it is quite expensive if you get full entrance. If your children are older and can interact with the workers, it would be great and worth it to go. Their website gives lots of info.

http://www.history.org/history/index.cfm

If you can afford it money-wise and time-wise, plan to stay a few days in Williamsburg. (They have a nice outlet mall :-) ) You can spend a couple days in Colonial Williamsburg and then go to Jamestown - only 10 minutes away - and then take the free ferry to Surry, VA for a scenic drive back to Norfolk. Very nice.

PS - Avoid the interstate at rush hour times!!!

Jamestown and Yorktown are a must for your first visit I think. Your little kids will love it, and a lot of it is outside so they can run around....the inside of Yorktown is just amazing. We went last year and we all loved it, even dh and I, so I bet your older ones will too. It's so cool. The original Jamestown is an archeological dig, so you can watch them work. We did the Mariner's Museum and dh and I really liked it, and my older two liked it, but it was a little boring for my littles. I ended up rushing them thru and letting dh linger.

The Chrysler Museum of Art has a fantastic new glass blowing studio where you can watch artists at work plus a great collection of art in the main building. Open W-S and free. When you go in you can ask at the information desk for kid scavenger hunt maps that will help to engage the smaller members of your party and they get a prize at the end. Great afternoon of fun! Norfolk Zoo is small but they have some nice areas and is good for a nice morning or afternoon.