Menu

Catholics-Drinking wine recreationaly in sanctuary?

I have a question for fellow Catholics. I joined our church choir this past winter and twice people have brought wine or brandy to choir practice to pass around for everyone to drink. They giggle and laugh like it's a joke and it kind of bothers me. It just doesn't seem appropriate to have alcohol in the sanctuary. What do you think?

Before our Christmas choir concert they were passing around a bottle of Schnapp's in the church basement right before we were going up to sing. This is not a conservative group of people. ;)

In the sanctuary? Definitely not. Right before singing at Holy Mass? Also a definite no way. Before a Christmas Choir conference? I would also say no if they were singing in the church and in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

Sounds like they need to find an appropriate way to socialize, like going out for drinks after choir practice or something.

The choir director is the one that supplied the wine the first time. :001_huh: Drinking is taking place right off the side of the alter within 20 feet of the tabernacle.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's in poor taste. I might have the guts to mention it respectfully to them the next time it happens. Or at least let a few of them know.

That's the first I've ever heard of that! :001_huh: Is the choir director aware of this? If not' date=' I might bring it to his/her attention. If it's the choir director who's supplying the group, I'd go to the pastor. It's definitely not right IMO.[/quote']

I don't think ANYTHING should be consumed in the sanctuary, from toddlers with Goldfish to adults drinking wine. When I was pg with twins and couldn't make it through Mass without drinking water, I didn't even want to drink from my water bottle during Mass for fear of setting a bad example! A family in our parish very generously makes cupcakes for Christmas Eve Mass for all of the children attending and I do not let my dc eat them in the sanctuary, although others do let their dc eat them there. So I'm with you, and I would have to say something. That is not respectful at all!

I don't think ANYTHING should be consumed in the sanctuary, from toddlers with Goldfish to adults drinking wine. When I was pg with twins and couldn't make it through Mass without drinking water, I didn't even want to drink from my water bottle during Mass for fear of setting a bad example! A family in our parish very generously makes cupcakes for Christmas Eve Mass for all of the children attending and I do not let my dc eat them in the sanctuary, although others do let their dc eat them there. So I'm with you, and I would have to say something. That is not respectful at all!

Ditto.

I'll admit to thinking this was normal. :001_huh: The only time I've been inside a Catholic church was for a wedding and there was drinking before, during, and after. I just thought Catholics were really ok with alcohol.

We ARE but you know, we are into reverence as well (some of us any way :tongue_smilie:).

I'll admit to thinking this was normal. :001_huh: The only time I've been inside a Catholic church was for a wedding and there was drinking before, during, and after. I just thought Catholics were really ok with alcohol.

In the sanctuary, not the church hall or meeting space? Before the wedding? During the wedding? After the wedding? Who was drinking?

Enquiring minds want to know! :D

But where was it taking place? In the sanctuary? That is highly unusual. I was raised by the most liberal of liberal but religiously devout Catholics you can find and we never ate or drank anything in the sanctuary. On Sundays we did not even eat or drink at all before church, period. It was totally not ok.

My Irish Catholic family can really drink it up. My extended Catholic family members are certainly "really ok" with drinking. The wake after my grandmother's funeral was extremely alcohol laden- there was much wine with the meal served as well as a whisky shot to toast her and afterwards all her children and adult grandchildren gathered in her condo and emptied an amazing number of bottles. Granted there were are lot of people doing that drinking because my grandmother had 9 children and I have a VERY large number of cousins who are all married now. Still, my brother and I were like OMG our relatives are all completely drunk and started to take people's keys and giving rides in our rental car. However no one in the family, including the lapsed Catholics, would have considered for a moment eating or drinking anything in the sanctuary besides the bread and sip of wine with the eucharist. When I saw people taking after church treats and coffee from the lobby into the chapel at the Baptist Church we used to attend I just about died. Certainly the Catholic upbringing in me reacting.

Edited by kijipt

I guess it wasn't in what is considered the actual sanctuary?

There was a keg in the reception area and the bridal party was drinking before the ceremony in the changing room. Everyone was drinking it up after the ceremony. There were a very few crazies at the back drinking during - I probably shouldn't have included the during, sorry.

I have never been to a church before or after that allows drinking on the premises at all so it made an impression.

I honestly just thought it was considered ok so this thread was news to me.

Basement - Yes

Hall/reception area - yes

Sacristy, bell tower - maybe, in a novel

Church itself (sanctuary, nave, choir, choir loft, etc) - No

Kids have always (in my memory, not the catacombs :001_smile:) had snacks, about which opinion is divided. Everyone else, no.

Even the cantor having water is a new-fangled phenomenon (last 5 years or so.)

I guess it wasn't in what is considered the actual sanctuary?
The actual sanctuary is the area right around the altar, beyond where the altar rail used to be and usually up a step.

flrpln.jpg

Edited by In The Great White North

Basement - Yes

Kids have always (in my memory, not the catacombs :001_smile:) had snacks, about which opinion is divided. Everyone else, no.

The actual sanctuary is the area right around the altar, beyond where the altar rail used to be and usually up a step.

flrpln.jpg

:iagree: This has always been my experience. I'm from a small German Catholic town in the midwest where drinking is pretty much like breathing. Everyone would drink in the parking lot or basement of the church before a wedding. As soon as the wedding was over, everyone headed across the street to the church hall to start back up. But no one would dream of bringing a beer into the sanctuary.

Basement - Yes

flrpln.jpg

I think this might be the answer to the issue. My kids' choir director does hand out candy after practice in the choir stall.