Menu

Where did I see.. AAS tiles in file folder?

naturally

I can't remember the blog either...but you can see it

:001_smile:

ETA: on this video you'll see when she opens the folder that a long magnetic tile has fallen off and is upside down. She puts it back onto the magnetic strip. She could have solved this problem by putting another magnetic piece on both ends of the tile (she only has one small piece right in the middle). I think if it would have at least 3 magnet pieces then this would solve the problem of those longer tiles falling off.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Thanks. That helps.

The one I remember used blue folders.

Would you still get the same results using the folder instead of the board? We already have a whiteboard up but it's not magnetic.

Also, I wonder about using velcro insread of magnets. Then maybe putting a large velcro in the center to build on.

Edited by naturally

Thanks. That helps.

The one I remember used blue folders.

Would you still get the same results using the folder instead of the board? We already have a whiteboard up but it's not magnetic.

Also, I wonder about using velcro insread of magnets. Then maybe putting a large velcro in the center to build on.

I'm sure you'd get the same results. In the video, her opened folder seemed to give plenty of space for building words. Your velcro idea is a really good idea. I think I like that much better for inside the folder. You could use velcro dots. They wouldn't fall off then. Had I not already bought a large magnetic white board from Walmart for our AAS tiles, I would have considered the folder...going with the velcro instead of the magnets. :001_smile:

But couldn't you use velcro dots and not use the other side of vecro, but instead use felt? I'm desperately wanting to use the tiles but I can't afford the whole package. I saw a blog with the phonograms you could print on cardstock. You might need to trace them in the color that conforms with the IG from AAS. Then couldn't you use felt (5 for $1 at Hobby Lobby) glued to a file folder? We use this velcro this way for story board in Sunday School and they don't fall off easily but don't rip loudly when pulling them off.

Thoughts?

But couldn't you use velcro dots and not use the other side of vecro, but instead use felt? I'm desperately wanting to use the tiles but I can't afford the whole package. I saw a blog with the phonograms you could print on cardstock. You might need to trace them in the color that conforms with the IG from AAS. Then couldn't you use felt (5 for $1 at Hobby Lobby) glued to a file folder? We use this velcro this way for story board in Sunday School and they don't fall off easily but don't rip loudly when pulling them off.

Thoughts?

Have not used AAS but considering level one for my gung-ho middle DD. Would love input on this idea!!

Have not used AAS but considering level one for my gung-ho middle DD. Would love input on this idea!!

I tallied it all up. Buying some kind of file folders (not using ones I have on hand, although I could do that), felt, velcro dots, card stock (I need some), 2 pkgs of colored index cards, and an index file box. This will all cost me about $17. The full pkg is $29 and won't include the box. I don't need the CD. I also don't want to purchase a magnetic whiteboard.

The other idea I am tossing around is using a tri-fold presentation board of some kind, or making my own out of foam core. I like the idea of the large space to keep everything, but I want to make it easy to use and store. DS and I usually snuggle on the couch for reading and spelling, so I want to keep that time.

The other reason I think this is a cool idea is that the middle of the folders, the open space you use for making the words, will also be felt and therefore still stick-able, whereas the magnet idea wouldn't be. I just think this might work well for working in your lap or on the go.

I plan to buy the supplies tomorrow and will let you all know how it goes!

I used Velcro for our calendar board, and really regretted it. It is hard for the kids to pull off. All my neat little calendar labels are bent and wrinkled.

I don't know how stiff the tiles are (are they truly tiles, or laminated cardstock?), but I would guess that Velcro on a file folder wouldn't hold nearly as long as magnets.

I tallied it all up. Buying some kind of file folders (not using ones I have on hand, although I could do that), felt, velcro dots, card stock (I need some), 2 pkgs of colored index cards, and an index file box. This will all cost me about $17. The full pkg is $29 and won't include the box. I don't need the CD. I also don't want to purchase a magnetic whiteboard.

The other idea I am tossing around is using a tri-fold presentation board of some kind, or making my own out of foam core. I like the idea of the large space to keep everything, but I want to make it easy to use and store. DS and I usually snuggle on the couch for reading and spelling, so I want to keep that time.

The other reason I think this is a cool idea is that the middle of the folders, the open space you use for making the words, will also be felt and therefore still stick-able, whereas the magnet idea wouldn't be. I just think this might work well for working in your lap or on the go.

I plan to buy the supplies tomorrow and will let you all know how it goes!

If you make it.....post pics for us to see!

I used Velcro for our calendar board, and really regretted it. It is hard for the kids to pull off. All my neat little calendar labels are bent and wrinkled.

I don't know how stiff the tiles are (are they truly tiles, or laminated cardstock?), but I would guess that Velcro on a file folder wouldn't hold nearly as long as magnets.

They aren't truly tiles (I'm not sure why they are called that). They are laminated cardstock and could bend.

You do so much work with syllable division in AAS. I think it would be hard to make that work nicely with velcro, even if you had felt instead of matching velcro dots. The tiles wouldn't slide over in a group - they would bunch and fall off, and you'd have to rebuild.

You do so much work with syllable division in AAS. I think it would be hard to make that work nicely with velcro, even if you had felt instead of matching velcro dots. The tiles wouldn't slide over in a group - they would bunch and fall off, and you'd have to rebuild.

Oh! Good point! I'm still only in level 1 w/ds so I don't really know these things.

I wonder if I made it like Merry did as a folder but instead of magnets used the felt just in the areas where the tiles stick in their holding position, wonder if that would work? Then the center would be open for sliding things around.

*sigh* or maybe I just need to suck it up and spend the extra $15 for the tile set and another $$ for a magnetic board. :glare:

I used a smaller magnetic whiteboard when we started AAS. Recently I switched to a full 3'x2'- LOVE it, wish I had bought it the first time. My oldest put it up with heavy duty Command Strips (one set of 4). It works great, everything is out of the way when working, and we use the board for other things too.

I do think the magnetic folder idea is pretty cool, if something like it is needed for whatever reason.

The big white board is cumbersome, but I don't think I'd want to do AAS without it. It encourages my kids to pull down each letter sound as they say, just like with the tokens. It also is a space to write the words after using tiles. Lastly, my kids LOVE drawing all over it when we're done!

The big white board is cumbersome, but I don't think I'd want to do AAS without it. It encourages my kids to pull down each letter sound as they say, just like with the tokens. It also is a space to write the words after using tiles. Lastly, my kids LOVE drawing all over it when we're done!

Yes, given he choice I'd prefer to do the big white board! I like the folder-style as a "travel version" (I've had at least 4 friends locally ask me to show them AAS, and often they have babies & it's easier for me to travel than them--so the folder is easier to take on the go, as it would be if you are a family who goes to the library a lot or travels around etc...). But it's also handy if you have little ones & don't have another way to keep tiles out of reach, or if you just plain don't have room. (2 smaller trays can work for that need too--cookie sheets as long as they are not aluminum, and that would be inexpensive). It's easier to work on a big board though.

I've been looking for another "travel" version option though. Hinged & edged steel seems like it might be heavy, but that could possibly work. Or some kind of magnet folder. I found this, which intrigues me but would be more costly than a magnet board by the time you got 2, if that was big enough.

Avery makes full-page magnet sheets but they are not really strong enough to hold magnets in place (not as strong as the strips.)

Merry :-)

I bought the 3 X 2 white board but it kept on being knocked down and the tiles would just go all over. We even lost one of -u- letter tile.

I went out and bought small cookies sheets (slightly bigger than A4 sheet) that fit into each other and laid them out in a similar way as the white board.

The top one is blank and gets laid in the middle for us to build our words. I keep the cookie sheets is order (alphabet on top, the phonograms left and right of the board and drop the top cookie sheet in the middle.

It takes less than a min. to set up and pack up, no more lost tiles. I should try and get some pics tomorrow...

Yes, given he choice I'd prefer to do the big white board! I like the folder-style as a "travel version" (I've had at least 4 friends locally ask me to show them AAS, and often they have babies & it's easier for me to travel than them--so the folder is easier to take on the go, as it would be if you are a family who goes to the library a lot or travels around etc...). But it's also handy if you have little ones & don't have another way to keep tiles out of reach, or if you just plain don't have room. (2 smaller trays can work for that need too--cookie sheets as long as they are not aluminum, and that would be inexpensive). It's easier to work on a big board though.

I've been looking for another "travel" version option though. Hinged & edged steel seems like it might be heavy, but that could possibly work. Or some kind of magnet folder. I found this, which intrigues me but would be more costly than a magnet board by the time you got 2, if that was big enough.

Avery makes full-page magnet sheets but they are not really strong enough to hold magnets in place (not as strong as the strips.)

Merry :-)

When we were traveling over Christmas break, we were in between levels. I did still pack up our tiles in case we wanted to work with them. I used a couple of activity tins like this one. This way it stayed closed and nothing was lost. I can't tell you how easy it would be to work with the tiles this way because we only use the tiles for new teaching. After that, much of it is on paper or written on the whiteboard itself.

We love the whiteboard and the multi-colored expo markers. Well actually my kids do. I just love that DS doesn't complain about all of the sentences I make him write ;)

I am really looking forward to an IPAD app. This plus notebooks would make the whole process much less cumbersome :)

This was a good thread to help me think through some options. My situation might differ from many of you. My dh is unemployed right now. I have been able to borrow levels 1-3 so far from friends, but they are still using the tile and card sets. So I am trying to avoid the $30 to buy the tile/card set from AAS, and also avoid the $50 magnetic white board option. I do not want to use a huge metal drip pan either. As it is my school stuff is taking over my house. I think the idea of metal cookie sheets is pretty good.

I am just going to go ahead and make something, purely out of necessity. I can print out the tiles, make my own cards, and am going to use the felt and velcro idea.

:glare: Ask me later how long it lasted and how mad I was at wasting my time doing it all myself when I should have just spent the few dollars and bought the stuff. ;)

Thank you all so much. This has given me lots of options to think about. I don't have the wall space and am trying to get rid of extra clutter.

I'm hoping to be able to get AAS for my oldest and AAR for my middle. I think they would be great but have to afford it.

Love the ideas. Keep them coming.

I bought the 3 X 2 white board but it kept on being knocked down and the tiles would just go all over. We even lost one of -u- letter tile.

I went out and bought small cookies sheets (slightly bigger than A4 sheet) that fit into each other and laid them out in a similar way as the white board.

The top one is blank and gets laid in the middle for us to build our words. I keep the cookie sheets is order (alphabet on top, the phonograms left and right of the board and drop the top cookie sheet in the middle.

It takes less than a min. to set up and pack up, no more lost tiles. I should try and get some pics tomorrow...

Would love to see pics!

This was a good thread to help me think through some options. My situation might differ from many of you. My dh is unemployed right now. I have been able to borrow levels 1-3 so far from friends, but they are still using the tile and card sets. So I am trying to avoid the $30 to buy the tile/card set from AAS, and also avoid the $50 magnetic white board option. I do not want to use a huge metal drip pan either. As it is my school stuff is taking over my house. I think the idea of metal cookie sheets is pretty good.

I am just going to go ahead and make something, purely out of necessity. I can print out the tiles, make my own cards, and am going to use the felt and velcro idea.

:glare: Ask me later how long it lasted and how mad I was at wasting my time doing it all myself when I should have just spent the few dollars and bought the stuff. ;)

Just so you know.....I got my 2'x3' magnetic wipe off board at Walmart for $19.00. I love it. I don't have the wall space, so it leans up against a dresser we have in the living room (yeah...I know...a dresser in the living room :001_rolleyes: ). Not the most ideal...but it works. But, I can certainly see how even 20 bucks might be difficult right now. Cookie sheets will work too. :001_smile: Do you have the link to that site to print off the phonogram tiles?? If you don't, let me know and I'll try to find my link. But....you probably already know it since you said you're going to print them.