Menu

I'm in serious need of some help...

Our fifth child was born to us this Spring, 15 weeks prematurely. She spent three months in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and has finally come home. She requires a lot of attention right now, and I do have a lot of help at home for the next few weeks. However, my oldest children are just about to start Kindergarden (five year old twins) and I also have an (almost) four-year-old and a just now two-year-old. I was planning to plan for homeschooling this Spring... but God's plans were different. We are definitely going ahead with the homeschooling, but I need help with the planning! I used OPGTR last year with my twins and I plan to continue with it. I also tried Saxon K, and didn't care for it much. I have thought about Singapore Math, but haven't gotten to see it yet. We have a great Kids Bible we will continue to use with the coloring book pages from Calvary. This needs to be a pretty simple year considering all I have on my plate. (It is hard for me to accept this, because I have a tendency to be more of the "do everything you can the hardest way possible" kind of person.) What else, if anything do I really need for Kindergarden? Any suggestions on organizing/scheduling or making my life more simple would be appreciated.

If you would like to see pics of Baby Katie and her story, please see:

lammers-meis.blogspot.com

Thanks,

Jessica

I don't have a lot of advice on curriculum for young children, not advice on organizing with such a young family - it's bee a while for me. I'm so glad that your daughter is home with you now, though, and I hope that these days will feel blessed and beautiful for all of you. Much love!

I think letting the K'ers help with the baby when it's safe to do so, and what you have planned, and making sure they put their toys away, get read to, get fresh air and exercise, are all that's needed with what you've already got planned!

K'ers learn a LOT just from hands on outdoor play, nature walks, playing with water/sand/rice/beans and measuring cups, etc. Unless your state requires certain things, I'd let this be more of an explore year, and not worry about it! They're young yet, let them be kids, and you be the mama with the new one!

Best wishes to you! You certainly do have a lot on your plate! I'll pray for you!

I can tell you what we did. When our oldest was ready for first grade I had triplets that were three months old, and one that wasn't two yet. We went with packaged all ready to go curriculum for first grade, that Accelerated Christian something or other. We hated it, but it got us through that very busy year, we happily went on to something else for second grade.

You will have a lap-full of young children this year, enjoy that part of parenting and homeschooling! (I have a 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old twins, all girls, so I have some idea of the lap-full reality!)

For your K-ers, just stick with (1) reading through a children's Bible, (2) working through OPG/phonics instruction and practice, and (3) lots of read alouds of various genres (stories, poetry, non-fiction, biography), and (4) story narrations, picture narrations, and good conversations. You might not even need a math "program" at this level, maybe next year (?).

For your 4 and 2, just stick with (1) reading through a children's Bible, (2) lots of hugs and kisses, and (3) lots of read alouds.

For all, especially Katie (you go, girl!) -- lots of hugs and kisses!

For Mom and Dad, a pat on the back. You have done well to get this little one through so much. May God bless you with her and all the others.

P.S. I went to your blogspot, and your children are ADORABLE! Those potty party pictures have us rolling. :lol: Enjoy your miracles! :001_smile:

I think you need to go with the least amount of work possible. For kindergarten, you really do not need to do much. Maybe get some phonics software and let them watch PBS shows and such for phonics. Ditto for math. Saxon math is one of the most teacher intensive programs out there. I would not use it now.

Good luck!

After the year that we had, let me speak to you out of my experience. I have a Ker that I started out with grand intentions for. Unfortunately, we had a cross country move in November, with us not being settled in a home (read: living out of suitcases) until April. His entire K year was a wash. I did very little phonics and practically no math. What we did do was to read lots of different library books, we counted everyday and we had a straw cup (alla MFW) which we put 1 straw in everyday and then moved over to the "10's" cup when we had a group of ten. We also did counting by tens, days of the week and months of the year. Even with that slim menu, some weeks were better than others. We did more outdoor time than anything else.

After all that, you'd think he wouldn't have progressed very far, but the beauty of 5 year olds is that they are sponges! After doing no formal math, I sat him down with the singapore earlybird books. I started with the 1A and paged through to see what he understood, which ended up being all of it (1A, 1B, 2A and 2B). It's like the concepts were there, without even trying. He's starting to read as well.

So my message to you is put NOTHING on your to do list. Let them be the sponges they are. Just read to them, sing songs, count things, point out shapes ect. Sit in the backyard and let them build sandcastles and find critters. There is NOTHING that would doom them if they didn't learn it this year. Go pick up a book by the Moore's and let that be your philosophy, if only for this year. I know very well what it is like to have a special needs baby who straps you to the house for awhile. Let any "school" plans take a back seat to just enjoying and cuddling your kids.

I hope that helped,

Wow! You do have your plate full. I'm going to look at your website later. But, for now, I agree with the other posters - keep it simple!!! For K - Phonics - watch Leapfrog videos. Seriously - those things taught my third to read!! (Well, those and webkins!!) Math - count things, count money, tell time to the hour, simple addition, etc. Really - keep it simple. I think those two things are the most important. If there's time - handwriting. Just have her copy something you write - letter by letter. A little bit each day. I think when we did K with each child - it was about 30 minutes 4 times/week.

:grouphug: You'll get through it!!!

I think Shannon's advice is right on. My twins were 12.5 weeks premature and I know how much care they needed and I didn't have others at home. I would recommend continuing with the OPG and if you feel the need to do something formal for math, get some k level math workbooks from the bookstore. That is really all Kers need, along with lots of read alouds.

Best of luck to you.

on training -- character training with little jobs around the house. Getting a routine down, laying a foundation for when you do begin more formal schooling.

For now, as far as curriculum, I agree w/most of the other posters: Daily reading of the Bible, daily Read Aloud books, and let them sponge the rest through nature walks and small hands on activities.

Blessings on your family!

Another big :iagree: with the previous posters. Don't stress - your children will be fine. Young children learn so much just from living life. You will (and I'm sure already are) be amazed at what they pick up.

One thing I wanted to add is to see about getting some audiobooks to listen to (either purchased, or from your library), so if you're tired, you can all cuddle on the couch and listen.