Menu

Composting:which method and why?

Tell me what you do!

Tumbler?

Hot bin or pile?

Slow pile? I know this is Spy Car's preference. :)

I'm not up for the worm thing I think.

We have our garden up and going after a bad year last year. Purchased compost to improve the soil and will get more later for mulch for veggie and roses.

So my question is really for next year or at least the fall.

We have this black bin we got at Costco. It does great. What really did well for us is making sure it was in the sun and that it got water (we just hooked it up to our sprinkler system, so when the sprinklers go off, it gets watered). It makes beautiful black compost for us twice a year when we till our garden. And it has tons of worms already in it. I guess they crawl in on their own. We put leaves, some lawn clippings, but mostly kitchen scraps.

Tell me what you do!

Tumbler?

Hot bin or pile?

Slow pile? I know this is Spy Car's preference. :)

Boy, you have a good memory! :001_smile:

In some sense I prefer a hot pile, if practical. During the times of year when that green/brown mix is just right and the pile steams it is awesome!

I am just too lazy to go way out of my way to actively manage a pile, especially if the items I need to achieve a perfect balance are not immediately at hand. It will break down anyway.

It is helpful to have a tucked away area where the pile(s) are not unsightly. Small yards have different constraints.

Bill

We have a hot bin, but we also have chickens. The scrapings from the coop floor go into the bin every week and really keep it hot. Also, it depends on what you are composting. I would stick with a bin of some sort if you are going to have a lot of kitchen scraps, but I prefer a slow pile for yard debris.

Oh, and worms are pretty easy. Just sayin'. ;)

We do have a good place, even in our small yard. :)

Our backyard is oddly shaped because of a nearby cul-de-sac and our shed has a triangle shaped space behind it, about 12'x12'x8', between the shed and the fence. A bin or tumbler, plus storage for extra leaves/brown materials would fit there fine. DH made a rule when our kids were toddlers that they couldn't go behind the shed, so it's not a play space.