Menu

Best one or two historical things to do in Boston?

The USS Constitution is okay. I grew up outside of Boston and never went to Paul Revere's house. Since you mentioned Mystic, which is a good drive away from Boston (still feasible as a day trip though), may I suggest Plimoth Plantation instead. We no longer live in New England but if I had to choose 1 historical activity up there for my kids to experience it would be Plimoth hands down.

Too long. What ONE thing did you like the best?

Oooops! I am embarrassed to say that when we planned to take the boys, ages 9 and 12, we had to cancel due to my parents health crises.... And they lasted for years. Now dd's are 9 and 12 and we plan to go this summer.

I asked dh, who has lived here all his life, and he said Paul Revere's House.

We lived in Charlestown for a few years. The USS Constitution is fantastic, and my kids loved the interactive second floor of the USS Constitution museum. Of course, once you're in Charlestown, you should go have lunch at the Warren Tavern, which was frequented by George Washington and Paul Revere. Plus, they make some really great burgers.

What time of year? Mine loved the USS Constitution -- there's also a very nice, small museum for the ship nearby which was a big hit. Small enough that it wasn't overwhelming, with a few hands-on exhibits that the kids liked.

Plimoth plantation is interesting, but it's an outdoor thing, and I don't know if you'd want to to this time of the year (might not even be open).

Paul Revere's house was not a big hit here, nor was the Tea Party ship.

I've never been, but surprisingly, I've heard very good reviews of the Duck tours.

The USS Constitution is okay. I grew up outside of Boston and never went to Paul Revere's house. Since you mentioned Mystic, which is a good drive away from Boston (still feasible as a day trip though), may I suggest Plimoth Plantation instead. We no longer live in New England but if I had to choose 1 historical activity up there for my kids to experience it would be Plimoth hands down.

Mystic is nearer to our "hub" and my husband is madly in love with the sea and all things seafaring. However, we hate tourist traps.

We are doing Sturbridge Village. Is Plimoth Plantation significantly better than Olde SV? Plimoth is out of our way, OSV is on our way to my great grandparent's house from our "hub".

When we were in Boston there was some trolly that you paid one price for the day and you could get on and off it along a circular route that hit all the historical spots. It was a great way to see lots of things. We stopped at place for the Boston Tea Party (and bought some Tea), the Boston Massacre, Paul Revere's house, the Old North Church, Chinatown, an a market.

With a 9 year old.

SS Constitution and Paul Revere's House?

Other ideas.

What about the seaport at Mystic? Historical value or tourist trap?

Thanks.

My ds loved the SS Constitution. He also enjoyed Revere's house. There are a few Freedom Trail stops right by Revere's house, so you could bundle 2-3 of them into one afternoon. Both my kids also liked Old North Church.

My son also LOVED Plimouth Plantation. It is so well done! You could take a day there easily.

Mystic is nearer to our "hub" and my husband is madly in love with the sea and all things seafaring. However, we hate tourist traps.

We are doing Sturbridge Village. Is Plimoth Plantation significantly better than Olde SV? Plimoth is out of our way, OSV is on our way to my great grandparent's house from our "hub".

We LOVE OSV. My 9yo speaks of it often.

When I was 10-12, we lived in Newport and had an annual membership to Mystic Seaport (and the Aquarium). There is a lot of hands-on stuff, it was definitely a favorite of mine and my brother's (he's 3 years younger than me). I haven't been back since I took dh when we were between weddings of college friends 15 years ago this May, but it wasn't overly touristy then.

I didn't like Paul Revere house as a child. Boston Common was more of a hit -- we didn't even go on the swan boats, but just saw them, the various sculptures, the historical markers, etc. Our favorite Boston outing as kids was the Children's Museum (even when I was 12) and the U.S.S. Constitution (cool, even though we saw LOTS of ships as Navy kids -- even old ones, living in old port towns).

Edited by higginszoo

my husband is madly in love with the sea and all things seafaring. However, we hate tourist traps.

Then you absolutely, 100%, do-no-pass-go, must go to the USS Constitution and the adjoining museum. They both are the real deal, nothing touristy about them. There is a water taxi line that stops right by the ship, which is officially part of the "T" system, so a "T" pass is valid on the boat, which might also be fun for the maritimely-inclined.

There's also the Peabody Essex Museum, which is unfortunately located in the middle of Salem, probably the epicenter of Tourist Trapdom. Nonetheless, there's a lot of maritime stuff in the museum (huge exhibit on ships-in-bottles when last there), and a bunch of interesting art as well.

I've only been to Plimoth, but I get the feel that it is about the same as OSV. I certainly wouldn't do both.

With a 9 year old.

SS Constitution and Paul Revere's House?

Other ideas.

What about the seaport at Mystic? Historical value or tourist trap?

Thanks.

Our favorite was Paul Revere's house. And if I recall correctly, there's some fantastic gelato just around the corner.

Paul Revere's house takes like all of 5 minutes to see.

You could go to Paul Revers's house then go to the Old North Church as they tie in together.

The USS Constitution was very cool.

Our favorite things to do there are to ride the subway and just be among civilization. We walk everywhere and just people watch.