Menu

So excited for dd14! Share in my joy!

I just got a call from a local vet. They have approved dd14 for a volunteer\apprentice position! She starts next Tuesday which is their surgery day. The owner of the office said he will let her attend the surgeries in the mornings and then in the afternoons she can shadow him during his appointments...what an incredible learning opportunity this is going to be for her!

When I told her about the surgeries she asked if she was going to have to hold anything. I asked her what she would have to hold and she said, " I don't know...a vein...a flap of skin...an organ." :lol: I told her it would probably be a hands off experience and she looked disappointed.:tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I just wanted to share here because I know you all will know what a big thing this is.:D

Update us on how your dd likes it as time goes. :D

I will!

:party:

She must be a remarkable girl if the vet is willing to go to that much trouble to help her learn more about the field.

Well, she is a remarkable girl, but his willingness speaks more to his character. He hasn't met her yet. He just loves his profession and wants to share his passion with those who want to learn. However, (and of coarse I'm prejudice) I have no doubt that she will impress him with her maturity and thirst for experience.;)

That is a really great thing!

I manage our vet hospital and have handled a number of volunteers over the years . . .

Here are my BTDT Tips:

1) Mom, stay out of it. Let dd do her own communicatioons with the hospital about scheduling, etc. Let her learn how to handle these things! Really! The manager/owner/etc don't have time or interest to chit chat with you about anything. They will do it, b/c they are being nice, but you are wasting their time with every email or call, and you are making it harder for them to do this for your dd.

2) Mom, if you feel the need to involve yourself, then have her quit b/c if she can't handle it, then she is not ready. Coach her from home, help her compose the emails, or whatever, but, please, let HER do it!

3) Coach her to avert her eyes during SX the first few times, and that if she feels woozy to immediately find a safe place to sit on the floor outside the SX suite. There is no shame in this. MANY kids and even young adults experience this. It will pass! The vet won't think badly of her, I promise. Many vets experienced the same thing early in training!

4) The most important thing is that she not get hurt and she not allow another staff member to get hurt.

5) The second most important thing is that she not allow a patient to get hurt.

6) To ensure 4 & 5 above, it is OK TO ASK QUESTIONS. If she is not SURE how to do something, ASK!!! She cannot be SURE unless she has been TAUGHT. Normal at-home common sense only get you so far, there are many special protocols in a hospital environment. DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING! Speak up and ask!!

7) Coach her to ask if there are written protocols or training materials, and to use them! There is SO MUCH to learn in this environment, and if she maximizes her opportunities, she can learn SO MUCH!

HTH

I manage our vet hospital and have handled a number of volunteers over the years . . .

Here are my BTDT Tips:

1) Mom, stay out of it. Let dd do her own communicatioons with the hospital about scheduling, etc. Let her learn how to handle these things! Really! The manager/owner/etc don't have time or interest to chit chat with you about anything. They will do it, b/c they are being nice, but you are wasting their time with every email or call, and you are making it harder for them to do this for your dd.

2) Mom, if you feel the need to involve yourself, then have her quit b/c if she can't handle it, then she is not ready. Coach her from home, help her compose the emails, or whatever, but, please, let HER do it!

3) Coach her to avert her eyes during SX the first few times, and that if she feels woozy to immediately find a safe place to sit on the floor outside the SX suite. There is no shame in this. MANY kids and even young adults experience this. It will pass! The vet won't think badly of her, I promise. Many vets experienced the same thing early in training!

4) The most important thing is that she not get hurt and she not allow another staff member to get hurt.

6) To ensure 4 & 5 above, it is OK TO ASK QUESTIONS. If she is not SURE how to do something, ASK!!! She cannot be SURE unless she has been TAUGHT. Normal at-home common sense only get you so far, there are many special protocols in a hospital environment. DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING! Speak up and ask!!

7) Coach her to ask if there are written protocols or training materials, and to use them! There is SO MUCH to learn in this environment, and if she maximizes her opportunities, she can learn SO MUCH!

HTH

WOW great tips! I am GLAD you posted those!! I would be the mother that would DRIVE a vet to go nuts. I will remember these tips if and when something similar comes our way in the future.

Here are my BTDT Tips:

HTH

Great advice, thanks!

Numbers 1 and 2 aren't a problem at all. I have always been the type to let them dive in and do things on their own. When she was working at the horse barn I never tried to chit chat with the trainer...I didn't have the time and neither did he, and if she couldn't show up or wanted another day I would have her call. The only reason I didn't let her set this whole thing up is because I was trying to make it a surprise for her and I didn't want to get her hopes up in case the vet wasn't receptive to it.