Menu

Where have I been. . . Santorum homeschools 7 kids??

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The online charter schools that run in my state are very explicit that they are not homeschooling. I have seen representatives on local TV say this. So, since the online schools (a la K12) specifically say they are NOT homeschools, why should I define them as homeschools?

:iagree:

There have been numerous threads where someone asks about being rigorous enough, or what's the bare minimum, or unschooling, etc., and WTMers come out of the woodwork defending a parent's right to educate however they see fit.

But cyberschooling is wrong? How is that different than taking online classes through Potter's School? How is that different than Lisa Whelchel using SOS for all of her kids but then being hailed as a homeschooling expert? How is it different than using co-op classes or classes at the local CC or some other way of farming out subjects?

So unless you teach your kids every subject yourself, at home, in a dedicated schoolroom, using no outside help whatsoever including online courses... You are not "actually" homeschooling?

Sheesh. :glare:

You are right. All of the bolded are the same thing (at least, IMO).

Yet, I still don't think any of those things are homeschooling. If/when I ever get to a point where I am using co-ops, cyber-schools, outside tutors, etc. I will no longer say I am exclusively homeschooling. I *might* say I am partially homeschooling, but I wouldn't claim to be homeschooling if we were not, indeed, teaching our kid all of his academic subjects personally.

The online charter schools that run in my state are very explicit that they are not homeschooling. I have seen representatives on local TV say this. So, since the online schools (a la K12) specifically say they are NOT homeschools, why should I define them as homeschools?

Technically, you are correct.

HSLDA also states they will not intervene on a situation that is with a virtual school that is under federal or state funds. Sticky wicket. And legally means that those who do K12 or other virtual schools (via a school district) are without legal representation?

In my state no one is legally homeschooling. All students are enrolled in either private or public schools. Those schools could be classroom-based or at home. I think it's better that way because it grants home-based private schools a LOT more freedom (no standardized testing, portfolios, parental education requirements, etc.) and also it avoids the whole "who is a REAL homeschooler" controversy.

Technically, you are correct.

HSLDA also states they will not intervene on a situation that is with a virtual school that is under federal or state funds. Sticky wicket. And legally means that those who do K12 or other virtual schools (via a school district) are without legal representation?

No, it means they could hire their own attorney. They also can read all the rules and requirements themselves since those are public documents.

No, it means they could hire their own attorney. They also can read all the rules and requirements themselves since those are public documents.

My point, exactly.

HSLDA states that those people who have their child use a public virtual school like K12 are not homeschooling. Legally, they have to find their own attorney if a legal matter develops. But, this does not make you a homeschooler by definition.

I know of many parents who sue the school district and get their own attorney over a serious matter. But legally, as a student of that public school or (virtual) public school... the student is considered a public school student. I am curious. Doesn't the program you use do attendance and as a result monies are funneled to the state for ADA (average daily attendance)?

I believe the article about the online charter school that was linked said they were using it from 2001-2004. I haven't seen anything talking about how the Santorums homeschool now. Anyone know?

I really can't get all worked up about the residency issue. We are retired military and we retained the residency of our home state wherever we lived. Santorum was representing the state of PA in Washington. Of course he had to have a home near DC and his family wanted to be with him. But he was still a Pennsylvanian, or he couldn't represent them. He was still paying taxes there. I'm sure it was a unique case for the charter school and had never come up before, or probably since.

Mary

Edited by Mary in VA

I'm another that has no idea who he is. I don't see anything at all about the election since the only tv we have is netflix.

I don't see anything wrong at all condemning the public school system and using a charter. I hear teachers around here complaining about the budget issues, the stupid clothing rules, the rules that children can't go to the bathroom, the prospect of going to a 4 day school week, etc. The system stinks. Our school board is a total disaster. Superintendants running off with money, other people stealing, etc. It's horrid and crooked. It needs to be changed.

I use a charter (my first and final year) that allows me to use the K12 curriculum for free. It is not the state curriculum. They are paying for it to be used by whoever wants to. Yes, we have to put in a certain amount of hours and days. They tell us we are not homeschoolers. However, I feel that I may not be using a "homeschool" program, but my child is home educated. I am certainly the one that chose the curriculum because I liked what I saw with K12. I decide what to teach him, in what matter, and for how long. I don't have to deal with my son being in the classrooms with teachers who can't speak correctly, or be forced to wet his pants because he can't go to the bathroom. If he didn't have to deal with all of these issues and others, then maybe I would have sent him to school. Thankfully, Louisiana saw the need to provide an option for those who are disatisfied with what goes on in the schools. For some it works great, for others not so much. I won't be using it again next year for first grade, but I feel that doing it my first year gave me some direction and the confidence I needed to do it all on my own.