Menu

WWYD? Question about possibly selling a book

wy_kid_wrangler04

Would you sell this book?  

1. 1. Would you sell this book?

• Sell it! You bought it from somebody and did not get it free from Book Samaritan
    • Don't sell it. That stamp says it all
    • Other- tell me what other to consider!

I bought a book from somebody this past summer. When I got it I saw it was stamped by Book Samaritan and that says to please not re-sell as this book was gifted to you. The person crossed it out in green permanent marker but its still very clear. I am now getting ready to sell unused curriculum to make room for what I just got (2nd time going through shelves trying to make room) I want to sell this book as I don't use it, but don't know if I am comfortable with that as it has that stamp on it. I didn't get it from Book Samaritan, but the person I bought it from did. WWYD?

The small amount of money you would get isn't worth the guilt you would feel. I can tell you would feel guilty, because you asked about it.

You can always give it away.

I'd offer it either here free for shipping or on Curriculum share free for shipping. That's what I did with items from our recent Book Samaritan box that we couldn't use.

Yes, but she did not receive it from Book Samaritan herself. She actually purchased the book and it is her personal property. It's an EX-Book Samaritan book. It has retained it's stickers and markings much like an ex-library book. The tax-payers paid for the library book to be lent to their patrons for FREE. Then the decision was made to get rid of it and was sold to random stranger all marked up with stickers and maybe a WITHDRAWN stamp on it or some sharpie scribbles on the outside stickers. The new owner can use the book, sell the book, use the book and THEN sell the book.

I think the situation would be completely different if OP had received the book free from Book Samaritan. In that case, she should respect the wishes of BS. Just my .02

Obviously if selling the book would cause you to lose sleep or feel guilty then just donate it. But I wanted to throw out there that FEELING guilty does not make one guilty. :001_smile:

I would send it back to Book Samaritan.

Fwit, I feel you were cheated by the person who sold it to you. I would not be a happy camper finding that stamp/mark-out if I purchased it.

I bought a book from somebody this past summer. When I got it I saw it was stamped by Book Samaritan and that says to please not re-sell as this book was gifted to you. The person crossed it out in green permanent marker but its still very clear. I am now getting ready to sell unused curriculum to make room for what I just got (2nd time going through shelves trying to make room) I want to sell this book as I don't use it, but don't know if I am comfortable with that as it has that stamp on it. I didn't get it from Book Samaritan, but the person I bought it from did. WWYD?

Honestly, I have never heard of Book Samaritan. Are you really obligated to their little stamp? You bought the book!

This seems to be a simple matter of stating the condition very clearly for your buyer, mentioning the little crossed out stamp (including your history of paying for the book if that makes you feel better) along with all the other things that need to be communicated. I am sure someone will be happy to have the book at the right price.

Blessings,