Menu

Post Term pregnancy, fetal movement

Three sounds about right. But it's going to depend somewhat on the personality of the baby. Some move a whole lot, even at the end, and I know that I had one who barely even wiggled most of the time. He was fine, but three movements would have been a lot for him. I'd worry about less than three for a kid who has been very active up until now, but if you can get a squirm out of a baby who has been pretty quiet all along, they may be fine.

As far as encouraging them to head out -- lots of walking, also what got the baby in there in the first place is great for encouraging the cervix to soften and open. One homeschool board I know of swears by a whole lot of Reese's peanut butter cups. I don't know if there's any good science behind it, but if I were in that position, I might give it a try.

Edited by higginszoo

Remind the first time mama to stay well-hydrated too. I truly believe that some of the complications I experienced with my first were due to mild dehydration (then greatly exacerbated by the hospital policies). Eating well and drinking well will help prepare her body.

Lots and lots of walking -- but not to the point of exhaustion.

I believe the official goal is 10 kicks counted in one hour -- but if baby is sleeping, it might take a little longer. Sometimes eating a piece of fruit can help get baby going. So have a snack, then lie down on the left side and record the times of each kick until 10 kicks are felt. Should take 30-60 minutes. If it takes more than 120 minutes, call the doctor or midwife for further instructions.

My instructions from my midwife were ten per hour, during a time when I was focused primarily on counting movements, and lying down. And during a time when baby generally had an active time. If it took more than an hour to get ten movements, then I was to call my midwife.

In my experience, none of the natural induction methods really did much. I nursed throughout my second pregnancy, even in early labor, and it didn't speed things along much at all. My second baby was born at 40+6--a bit earlier than my first, who was born at 41+4. (Both were spontaneous labors, though.)

I found that getting as much rest as possible and doing enjoyable things was the best way to spend those last days/weeks: massages, pedicures, naps, reading a book uninterrupted . . . .

One homeschool board I know of swears by a whole lot of Reese's peanut butter cups. I don't know if there's any good science behind it, but if I were in that position, I might give it a try.

My first was a couple days early, but my second was induced at 10 days over and third started naturally at around 10 days over. I love peanut butter cups, so I'm keeping this in mind if this baby is a slowpoke too!

She delivered yesterday actually. She called me for advice during labor, but of course I missed the call and did not reach her dh till 10 min after delivery. Did not ask details about her delivery, so no real update!!

It sounds like things worked out! :party: