Menu

Farewell to Arms or All Quiet on the Western Front

All Quiet is not an enjoyable book, but I highly recommend it. War is not pretty.

Farewell to Arms is a romance set against a commentary on the futility of war. I am probably one of the few posters who actually likes Hemingway but I think I would recommend All Quiet on the Western Front if your objective is a study of WWI.

Edited by Jane in NC

I would choose All Quiet as well. I read it in high school, and while I can't say I enjoyed it, I think it helped me understand the reality of WWI better than any history text I read.

:iagree: I also assigned it to my ds for highschool. Memorable. Readable. Sad. The fact that Hitler banned it in Germany makes it even more interesting for study.

I am planning a WW1 unit and want to require 1 piece of literature to go with it. I've narrowed it to either "Farewell to Arms" or "All Quiet on the Western Front". My ds's are 16 and 15 and I am wondering which they would most enjoy--I haven't read either in so long. What do you think?

In Love and War is a period romance set during WWI with the romance between Hemingway and an Army Nurse as the center of the plot.

I came away convinced that the ending to Farewell to Arms is what it is because he still was trying to strike out at the woman he couldn't keep.

Farewell to Arms is a romance set against a commentary on the futility of war. I am probably one of the few posters who actually likes Hemingway but I think I would recommend All Quiet on the Western Front if your objective is a study of WWI.

I disliked Hemingway intensely when I read him, but I will admit that I probably read him too early and complicated it by reading him on my own with no input. So if I wanted to read him again what work would you suggest (I am open to a collection of short stories or novels).

I disliked Hemingway intensely when I read him, but I will admit that I probably read him too early and complicated it by reading him on my own with no input. So if I wanted to read him again what work would you suggest (I am open to a collection of short stories or novels).

In my opinion, For Whom The Bell Tolls is Hem's best novel. I really like the Nick Adams short stories and the memoir A Moveable Feast. About the last: a re-edited version came out a few years ago. I have not read it but your post reminds me that I should.

All Quiet is not an enjoyable book, but I highly recommend it. War is not pretty.

:iagree:

Though I love A Farewell to Arms (I love Hemmingway), yep, it's a romance and for a study All Quiet is what you're looking for.

In my opinion, For Whom The Bell Tolls is Hem's best novel. I really like the Nick Adams short stories and the memoir A Moveable Feast. About the last: a re-edited version came out a few years ago. I have not read it but your post reminds me that I should.

Thank you!