Menu

Can I vent here a moment? (Texas PS standards)

I shared the fact that we decided to try a cyber charter, and enrolled ds at the beginning of the school year. I promised to share both the good and the bad. Well, I've shared some of the positives in the past, but now I'm about to gripe. So, if you have reached your quota for griping already this month, please do not proceed further.

. . .

Ok, everybody exited that doesn't want to join the class? Good.

Big deep breah.

Basically, in a word, ps curriculum here sucks. No, really, it's completely and totally awful. It is so bad, it has even managed to eff up a curriculum as good as k12's. How does it do this you ask?

Because the state requires the same concepts be covered in the cyber charter as what's in ps, that means that k12 not only has to supplement some of its material, but it has to change up the sequencing. This is a huge deal.

It means that instead of reinforcing adding and subtracting, etc. and learning multiplication tables in third grade, my son's lessons are introducing multiplication and division together, at the same time. Do you think that's stupid? Because I do. I do believe in such a thing as ordered and sequential learning. Also, lessons on reading graphs involve statistical reasoning that is so freakin' far ahead of what a normal third grader is develpmentally capable of, it's ridiculous. RIDICULOUS. I am not exaggerating when I tell you he is being taught concepts I was not introduced to until middle school (grads 6-8). He is being taught to solve for x--introductory algebra, as well.

Ok, that's the math side of it. Now, for the language arts. :::cracking knuckles.:::

So, his second written paper is due today, right? The title of the assigned paper--"Expository Writing."

Seriously. Third grader. No introductory book reports. No outlining taught. Just wham, bam, here's-a-high-school-esque-concept, ready, set, go! Write!!

And, here's the kicker: the topic is writing about someone who is a personal hero or someone very important to you.

:::silence, cricket, cricket:::

Well???!!! Does anybody else out there think that it's sheep-stupid to teach a child how to write an expository paper with a totally subjective them as the topic???!!! Am I going crazy? Is the temperature at the state capitol totally stupid degrees?? WTH IS WRONG WITH TEXAS' ED DEPT?!

I mean, I'm reading over Jackson's assignment, and I feel like I have the ghost of SWB standing over my shoulder (which is weird, cuz, she's still completely alive) sagely telling me, "It's explaining the problem of evil in French all over again."

And I want to tell SWB that I'm not sure what evil French language has to do with stupid, ass-backwards writing protocols, but I'm totally with her on the classical education approach.

I mean, I always approved of it, but I had hoped (looks like foolishly), that a program like k12 would retain enough of a similar approach to reading and writing and other subjects, to what I had when I was growing up. Despite being a public charter.

Please note, I am NOT blaming k12. I think it's a very challenging, good program. The problem is that it's ruined by the state's illogical, nonsensical, meth-induced approach to education (ok, I don't know for a fact that meth is involved--but if it was, this is what it would look like).

So all that's to say, we're in state of flux right now about what to do next year, whether to hs or to enroll him in a private school (which is not subject to the state's kamikaze approach to education), but we are not enrolling him in a public school. Any Texas public school. So help me Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

(If that sounds like it has all the weight of a vow, it's maybe because of the blood oath I just took, with both hands on a Bible--one NIV, one KJV, just to cover all bases--and a British accent, just for effect. Also, sorry about the bloody keyboard, I'll clean that up later.)

(Breathe in, breathe out.)

Whew. Thank you, everyone, for letting me get that out of my system!

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Edited by Aelwydd

Saying "r-word inserted" is just as bad as typing it out, you know. :(

Ok, so should I just type it out next time? Because I'm pretty PC and liberal, but even I roll my eyes at all the censoring of language these days. The word, BTW, is a medical term, and has legitimate use. Not that anyone cares.

Ok, so should I just type it out next time? Because I'm pretty PC and liberal, but even I roll my eyes at all the censoring of language these days. The word, BTW, is a medical term, and has legitimate use. Not that anyone cares.

If it were on my ds's medical chart, I wouldn't have a problem. You are not using it to describe a medical condition. You are using the word in a derogatory way. You are using it as a synonym to say that the Texas cyber charter is bad. When you use it this way you are making the word a generalization for bad. Is my ds bad?

I completely agree with tou about the writing, asking for a paper before doing any instruction in writing skills is ridiculous. But on the math - my son was introduced to multiplication and division at the same time and it has worked well. Since they are inverse operations, it makes sense to me that they are learned at rhe same time.

HAlo does basic algebra concepts, it does not use x, but a blank line. I also think this can be a positive thing. When kids get to algebra it is a natural transition.

If your son is struggling, can you talk to the teacher? My nephew needed to slow down in math (he is in a virtual charter in OK). My SIL discussed it with his teacher and they worked out a new plan for his math. He will cover it, just slower with some supplements as needed.

If you dislike thenprogram so much, I would go back to homeschooling next year. A private achool may not teach the way you want either.

***with the writing, I would start supplementing, look ahead for his next writing assignment amd do the prep work on your own.***

I totally understand. We left a K-12 charter earlier this year. The day the Math+ program introduced addition and subtraction with regrouping (on the same day), was the day I completely switched to SM.

Aha! So we are not the only ones who have experienced the insanity that is state education standards gone horribly awry, in a cyber charter.

We use it independently and we're currently doing 3rd grade. I don't think the sequencing of writing is off or has been changed to meet your state's standards. The hero essay is before the book report in the curriculum. Once you get to the book report, it makes sense why it's done that way. The book report is longer and more detailed. I think K12 sequences it by length and writing difficulty. It's easier to come up with examples of why someone is your hero than it is to find details in a book to support your point.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say multiplication and division are taught together. I'm curious if it is truly different than the way it's sequenced by K12. The way the curriculum is sequenced, they do multiplication up to 5, division up to 5, some other unit (word problems, maybe?) in between, then follow up with multiplication from 6-9, and then division from 6-9. There isn't as much repetition as I'd like to see in the regular curriculum. I'd like to see several days on each multiplication and division problem because my son needs it. DD is doing fine, but I might switch math out next year for DS. I'm not jazzed with their math program.

Edited to add: The regular curriculum also teaches an intro on how to solve for x in equations too. I do agree -- this stuff is far more advanced than what I learned in 3rd grade. We've been using it since first grade, and it's been the same all the way through in terms of difficulty. I've heard people say the curriculum is too easy, but I attended one of the top school districts in my state and I'm not THAT old (36). The stuff K12 is teaching them is well above and beyond what I learned at the equivalent grade levels.

Edited by jujsky

:grouphug: I know how you feel. My boys were enrolled with Connections Academy BRIEFLY when they were in kindergarten here in Florida. Their "teacher" kept kicking back drawings because they were drawing stick figures and they weren't "grounded" as she called it. REALLY? The final straw for me is when they were trying to assess the DIBELS assessment over the PHONE with two special needs children with severe speech apraxia. I was trying to reword the question to my boys (had they been in the classroom they would have been able to get special accomodations) and she YELLED at me. I had had enough of the unnecessary stress and immediately pulled them out of the program.

If it were on my ds's medical chart, I wouldn't have a problem. You are not using it to describe a medical condition. You are using the word in a derogatory way. You are using it as a synonym to say that the Texas cyber charter is bad. When you use it this way you are making the word a generalization for bad. Is my ds bad?

Do you refer to your son as retarded? In any case, "retarded" can refer to many forms of mental impairment. A word can have more than one connotation. In the context of my post, I mean it negative.

So, because I refer to them as retarded, does not mean I view all retarded children as stupid or dumb. I refer to them as special needs; I refer to people who are willfully stupid as "retarded." Just like I used "dumb" to describe stupid people, not mute people. I'm using the word in one particular context, or definition, for one group, and use a different term or meaning for another.

You may feel differently, but I disagree heavily with language censorship, even when the terms used are offensive to me.

Do you refer to your son as retarded? In any case, "retarded" can refer to many forms of mental impairment. A word can have more than one connotation. In the context of my post, I mean it negative.

So, because I refer to them as retarded, does not mean I view all retarded children as stupid or dumb. I refer to them as special needs; I refer to people who are willfully stupid as "retarded." Just like I used "dumb" to describe stupid people, not mute people. I'm using the word in one particular context, or definition, for one group, and use a different term or meaning for another.

You may feel differently, but I disagree heavily with language censorship, even when the terms used are offensive to me.

If it's a medical term, as you stated, use it as such. I said if the term were on my ds's medical file I don't have a problem. Do you believe you are not using this term in a derogatory manner? The way you have used it is derogatory, not simply descriptive. Apparently, you are too closed minded to see that.

I completely agree with tou about the writing, asking for a paper before doing any instruction in writing skills is ridiculous. But on the math - my son was introduced to multiplication and division at the same time and it has worked well. Since they are inverse operations, it makes sense to me that they are learned at rhe same time.

I agree about the inverse operations. But I have used both the K12 (Math+) and SM and the way they teach these things is COMPLETELY different. I think at the end of the units (addition/subtraction, multiplication/division) the children in the programs would be at the same place but for *us* the way Math+ taught it was painful.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say multiplication and division are taught together. I'm curious if it is truly different than the way it's sequenced by K12. The way the curriculum is sequenced, they do multiplication up to 5, division up to 5, some other unit (word problems, maybe?) in between, then follow up with multiplication from 6-9, and then division from 6-9. There isn't as much repetition as I'd like to see in the regular curriculum. I'd like to see several days on each multiplication and division problem because my son needs it. DD is doing fine, but I might switch math out next year for DS. I'm not jazzed with their math program.

Edited to add: The regular curriculum also teaches an intro on how to solve for x in equations too. I do agree -- this stuff is far more advanced than what I learned in 3rd grade. We've been using it since first grade, and it's been the same all the way through in terms of difficulty. I've heard people say the curriculum is too easy, but I attended one of the top school districts in my state and I'm not THAT old (36). The stuff K12 is teaching them is well above and beyond what I learned at the equivalent grade levels.

This is how SM is set up as well.

I agree about the inverse operations. But I have used both the K12 (Math+) and SM and the way they teach these things is COMPLETELY different. I think at the end of the units (addition/subtraction, multiplication/division) the children in the programs would be at the same place but for *us* the way Math+ taught it was painful.

I have not seen the K12 method, I was just pounting out that it is not all that unusual for the two to be taught side by side. SM did multiplication by twos, then division by twos, the same with 3s-5s, then 10s now we are taking a break for some other topics. We will then pick up with 6s.

We use it independently and we're currently doing 3rd grade. I don't think the sequencing of writing is off or has been changed to meet your state's standards. The hero essay is before the book report in the curriculum. Once you get to the book report, it makes sense why it's done that way. The book report is longer and more detailed. I think K12 sequences it by length and writing difficulty. It's easier to come up with examples of why someone is your hero than it is to find details in a book to support your point.

I'm not protesting writing a subjective paper about a hero. I'm protesting the logic of writing an expository paper about a subjective topic, that necessitates first-person language.

Expository = objective, third-person, evidence-based writing. That is what every teacher, professor, and university writing lab I have ever consulted has taught.

As an adult, I would find bridging that gap challenging. Like, solve this equation using colors. I don't find that very sensible. And it's even worse trying to explain it to a 9 year old.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say multiplication and division are taught together.

I mean that instead of focusing on multiplication in grade 3, learning and reinforcing the times tables, he is being taught to solve division equations right along with multiplication. He hasn't even mastered one concept, and he's expected to differentiate and carry out mathematical operations that are predicated on such mastery. That's what I mean.

That's my main complaint. I understand the push to have kids learn more material each successive generation. However, there comes a point where you push the envelope for what is developmentally appropriate, in terms of brain structure and logic, for an age group. As I said, it's not k12 that I'm saying is off here; it's a state standard that insists that is normal and expected for all 3rd graders to learn and understand, multiplication, division, statistical concepts, and even beginning algebra.

I'm all for rigor; I'm not for unreasonable expectations.

:grouphug:

Amazing!

My daughter finished her K12 math for the year in March when we were in K12 through a state cyber charter. Our state charter decided it was too late in the year for her to start the next level, and that she would have to wait until the next year's start in September.........NO MATH FOR ALMOST SIX MONTHS?

I think it was just that charter though, not the whole state. I could be wrong, I do live in PA......

If it's a medical term, as you stated, use it as such. I said if the term were on my ds's medical file I don't have a problem. Do you believe you are not using this term in a derogatory manner? The way you have used it is derogatory, not simply descriptive. Apparently, you are too closed minded to see that.

I already said I'm using it in a derogatory manner--towards people in the Ed. Department. I said, "A word can have more than one connotation. In the context of my post, I mean it negative." Is that not clear?

But not towards people with special needs. In the same way I don't refer to people who are mute as "dumb," though I still use the term to describe other people who act stupid. Does that I believe mean mute people are stupid? NO. I don't. A word can have multiple applications and meanings. I explained how I meant it. If you cannot accept that intent, but insist on your own interpretation of my meaning, then I am not the one being close-minded.

I agree with you completely about writing. I am fully on SWB's bandwagon on this topic.

As far as math goes, what you described is pretty much exactly what I love about our homeschool math curriculum. But, we used another curriculum previously that would probably be more along the lines of what you're looking for. So I'd say, keep searching, you'll find what you want.

As far as the "r-word" goes, I grew up in a time when it was a fully entrenched part of my vocabulary, this despite the fact that I have a sister with physical disabilities and learning challenges. I know that for me, when I said the word, I was NEVER thinking of my sister or people like her. I honestly believed that I was using the term based on it's meaning, to refer to the idea or object at hand, not comparing them to folks with disabilities. However, since the term was also you to refer pejoratively to folks with mental challenges, I agree that it can be hurtful and shouldn't be used colloquially anymore. But I have to admit, although I never say it to others and would try to refrain from using it even when venting, I have never been able to completely excise it from my thoughts. Sometimes, it's the word that fits the feeling best, like other profanities, but I do try to exercise more self control and use better vocabulary to express my thoughts.

I was actually looking at k-12 and we're in Texas too.

Are you dropping K-12? (Is that even possible?)

Remember that these are two different entities: the public school charter, and K12. What you're actually thinking about doing is enrolling your dc in a government-funded, home-based public school. That isn't the same thing as looking at K12.

Those are two of the many good reasons NOT to enoll your dc in a public school charter: you do NOT have control, and you DO have to follow public school guidelines.

As far as the "r-word" goes, I grew up in a time when it was a fully entrenched part of my vocabulary, this despite the fact that I have a sister with physical disabilities and learning challenges. I know that for me, when I said the word, I was NEVER thinking of my sister or people like her. I honestly believed that I was using the term based on it's meaning, to refer to the idea or object at hand, not comparing them to folks with disabilities. However, since the term was also you to refer pejoratively to folks with mental challenges, I agree that it can be hurtful and shouldn't be used colloquially anymore. But I have to admit, although I never say it to others and would try to refrain from using it even when venting, I have never been able to completely excise it from my thoughts. Sometimes, it's the word that fits the feeling best, like other profanities, but I do try to exercise more self control and use better vocabulary to express my thoughts.

Yeah, I do get your point, and I understand that it hits a raw nerve. I avoided typing it out, for that reason. For me, the issue is censorship. One cannot even apparently reference it without being chastised, even in an apparently very hyperbolic sense. I used it as literary device, not as a reference to people with special needs.

Frankly, I think demonizing the word like that only strengthens the ties in people's minds between the word and negativity. Like how the "n" word is off limits. (I don't like the n-word at all, but there are people who use it in a friendly way towards each other.)

But in any case, I'll go edit the r-word reference out of my post, lest the rest of this thread be completely derailed into a heated debate about it.

Remember that these are two different entities: the public school charter, and K12. What you're actually thinking about doing is enrolling your dc in a government-funded, home-based public school. That isn't the same thing as looking at K12.

Yes. This. Exactly.

and you DO have to follow public school guidelines.

Such as they are. I swear the state's "guidelines" are designed to drive us all mad with the unreasonableness of their expectations. As the state curriculum stands now, it won't produce as many advanced, competitive graduates as it will a bunch of confused, slightly deranged high-school drop outs.

the n-word used to be ok too. Do you use that?

The n-word that used to be commonly used is a shortened form of something else. The r-word is a shortened form a medical term.

I don't, but other people do, and not always in a negative context. I have black friends who refer to their friends with that word.

That is my point. Even though I don't like the word, I don't tell others not to use it. I don't believe in censorship.

You and I are not going to agree on this. Can you not agree to disagree, and be content with the fact I removed the references from OP?

Yes. This. Exactly.

Such as they are. I swear the state's "guidelines" are designed to drive us all mad with the unreasonableness of their expectations. As the state curriculum stands now, it won't produce as many advanced, competitive graduates as it will a bunch of confused, slightly deranged high-school drop outs.

Does your son have to take the STAAR?

I cannot remember if 3rd graders have to take it. I do know that the first portion coming up is the writing portion and my kids teachers are somewhat hyperventilating over writing...... at the moment. :tongue_smilie:

I wonder if there is going to be a segment with multiple choice questions or a writing example using the term "expository." Ugh!

I could not handle teaching the madness, that the PS teachers have to teach. Like you it drives me batty, but it does feel a bit different from the passenger seat (parent) than I think it does from the driver's (homeschool parent/teacher).

:grouphug:

Does your son have to take the STAAR?

Yes, ma'am, he does. However, the third grade test does not have a writing section. It is reading and math only. Also, as this year is establishing the baseline scores, they are not using performance on the test as a factor in grade promotion for the lower grades. They are using it as a means test for grades 9 and up, however, and seniors have to pass it to graduate. (How's that for absurd? New test, no baseline standards, but you have to "pass" them to graduate.)

I am in Tx also, but we do not use a cyber school. Teaching multiplication and division at the same time makes total sense to my kids. My dd did not understand how to play with numbers until I introduced subtraction while she was struggling with additon, so I just introduced division with multiplication to make it easier for her. i had no idea that the school system here introduced it that way; I was just doing what worked well for my dd.

We skipped book reports, because honestly those are dull. I did have dd write one this year (6th grade) to reinforce concepts like plot, theme, character development and so on. She started right in with full on papers after she had paragraphs down well in 3rd grade. My boys will not be doing that sort of thing that early, because they are not going to be at that point in their development yet.

If the order and such is not working for your child, then add in what he needs to make things make sense to him at the moment. I do not know how public charters work, but can you move at your child's pace, or do you have to turn in X work by a certain date?

I do not know how public charters work, but can you move at your child's pace, or do you have to turn in X work by a certain date?

You have deadlines, and assessments. There is some range of flexibility, but papers are due when they are due--not when you master the concept. There have been no simple paragraph assignments due. Not even, here's a story, now answer the questions in about 2-3 complete sentences.

It's all 5 paragraph papers. I don't know, maybe it's because it's so different from the methods used when I was taught. We didn't go from journaling haphazardly to writing 5 paragraph papers. We went from writing complete sentences in answer to questions, to writing paragraph answers or short stories, to writing simple reports (2-3 paragraphs) on books or other themes. In forth grade, we learned how to brainstorm and outline a paragraph. We did this extensively.

Finally, in fifth grade, we were introduced to the 5-paragraph model. That was expanded upon and practiced throughout middle school. I did not learn the terms "expository," "persuasive," etc., until high school. Then, expository papers were carefully refined with thesis statements, and research papers were tied into that.

My dh, who went to a private, religious school for his entire educational experience, said he learned how to write in a similar format. We're both better-than-decent writers now.

I don't know, is envisioning a similar time line for my ds not ambitious enough or something? :001_huh:

Yes, ma'am, he does. However, the third grade test does not have a writing section. It is reading and math only. Also, as this year is establishing the baseline scores, they are not using performance on the test as a factor in grade promotion for the lower grades. They are using it as a means test for grades 9 and up, however, and seniors have to pass it to graduate. (How's that for absurd? New test, no baseline standards, but you have to "pass" them to graduate.)

Yes, when the Principal was discussing this with my I was :001_huh:. Oh, well. We are dealing with issues on so many fronts I was a bit relieved to hear that it was not counting towards grade advancement. :tongue_smilie:

This year is going to drive me batty!

If the order and such is not working for your child, then add in what he needs to make things make sense to him at the moment. I do not know how public charters work, but can you move at your child's pace, or do you have to turn in X work by a certain date?

Remember that this is public school, and children enrolled in it are public school students, not private school students (which is what homeschoolers are in Texas). That the "classroom" is in the dc's kitchen is irrelevant. Public school students have to meet public school standards, even if those standards are substandard. :glare:

Current seniors still take the TAKS test. This year's freshman class will be the first seniors to take the test for graduation. I think it's much better than the stupid Exit test they take now. Freshman had a mid year exam in English and grading was based on STAAR criteria. The standards are high. People who have been griping about the TAKS test being a joke, should be happier that the new test has higher standards. But they won't be.

As far as teaching multiplication and division together, a lot of homeschool math curricula does this. It makes sense to teach it at the same time, showing that division undoes multiplication just as subtraction undoes addition.

The "expository" writing they want them to do, isn't at a high school level. They are just trying to get them used to a big word! LOL I remember freaking out about something similar when ds was in ps for 3rd grade. I actually had to look up the definition of the type of writing (can't remember what it was) but it said something about an assignment at the university level. Really though, the school isn't expecting anything more than a 3rd grader writing about his dad being his hero and why. :D

Breathe deep mama, and enjoy your homeschool journey!

I mean that instead of focusing on multiplication in grade 3, learning and reinforcing the times tables, he is being taught to solve division equations right along with multiplication. He hasn't even mastered one concept, and he's expected to differentiate and carry out mathematical operations that are predicated on such mastery. That's what I mean.

I think that's more K12 than Texas standards (although K12 tries to mold itself in such a way to be attractive to a variety of state standards, and states are upping their standards to an unreasonable level). I agree with you on the math. When we learned multiplication and division, we did multiplication first, up through the 12s times tables, and we spent at least a few days mastering each number. We moved onto division after that and approached it in the same fashion. A day to learn the 2s might be okay. A day to learn the 8s (even for DD who is a math whiz) is not okay.

Have you gotten to the whacked-out math unit yet where they have you solve unsolvable problems? They'll give the kids a word problem like, "Mary sold 5 apples Friday, Tony sold 4 apples on Thursday, and Maria sold apples on Wednesday. How many apples did the children sell together?" Instead of just having the kids identify the missing information (I can't solve this because I don't know how many apples Maria sold) they want the kids to make up information to solve the problems. That made NO sense to me whatsoever. That's only going to teach a kid to make up the answer if they don't know it. Crazy!

Current seniors still take the TAKS test. This year's freshman class will be the first seniors to take the test for graduation. I think it's much better than the stupid Exit test they take now. Freshman had a mid year exam in English and grading was based on STAAR criteria. The standards are high. People who have been griping about the TAKS test being a joke, should be happier that the new test has higher standards. But they won't be.

As far as teaching multiplication and division together, a lot of homeschool math curricula does this. It makes sense to teach it at the same time, showing that division undoes multiplication just as subtraction undoes addition.

The "expository" writing they want them to do, isn't at a high school level. They are just trying to get them used to a big word! LOL I remember freaking out about something similar when ds was in ps for 3rd grade. I actually had to look up the definition of the type of writing (can't remember what it was) but it said something about an assignment at the university level. Really though, the school isn't expecting anything more than a 3rd grader writing about his dad being his hero and why. :D

Breathe deep mama, and enjoy your homeschool journey!

Your right, the above makes sense to me and is how I taught my twins before they went into the PS. When they went into the PS it had just finished multiplication and was moving on to long division (within the same quarter), the issue that I had was they were not being taught that division is multiplication undone. They were not even taught to check their division with multiplication. They can now do both division/multiplication well and fast, but they are very foggy on "why" it works. It was frustrating for me to be told by the boys that I taught them "wrong," because I was making them check with multiplication. We will be doing a unit on why this works this summer. :D

Thank you, OP, for editing it out. I know you may not understand nor agree with our points of view about the word, but I appreciate your willingness to accommodate us. :)

Honestly, no harm was meant, and even my stubbornness has limits. I draw the line at purposely hurting people's feelings, or persisting in something hurtful. I just wanted to make clear that when I used the term, it wasn't with special needs kids or adults in my mind.

Not a hill to die on, and I hope you all will accept my apology for my offense.