Menu

Save me from R.L. Stine! Ds loves creepy, scary stories but

Jayne J

I can't hack R.L. Stine (not a universal statement, just a personal opinion.) Ds loved a Junior Illustrated Classics version of Frankenstein, and recently asked for the Happy Hollisters book after hearing me read a WWE1 selection for his sister which included dark attics and mysterious faces in windows. Any other well written books/series that have that spooky, gothic tone at a 3rd-5th grade level? Looking for decent quality--I am trying to avoid pulp, which the genre makes difficult...:tongue_smilie:

Try Bruce Coville We've read some of his other books, but I've heard good reviews of his My Teacher series. Maybe that series can be used to move into some of series. It is a hard reading level, because you want to encourage them to read enough so they get past it quickly so they can get to better and meatier books without spending so much time there that they loose the ability to enjoy better books.

And try Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast by Jane Yolen too.

Edited by Karen in CO

I have to say I have very fond memories of reading R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike books as a kid. :)

I'm making a list for assigned reading time--ds has 40 min a day of assigned reading time, meaning he must be reading something approved by me. It is not always tied directly to schoolwork. During his free time he is allowed to read whatever he likes as far as quality (I do veto mature themes etc.) I read my fair share of "twaddle" as a kid too.:D (Ok. As an adult too.)

But frankly if he finds he prefers the non/less twaddly stuff, well, win-win right? ;)

Edited by urpedonmommy

I'm making a list for assigned reading time--ds has 40 min a day of assigned reading time, meaning he must be reading something approved by me. It is not always tied directly to schoolwork. During his free time he is allowed to read whatever he likes as far as quality (I do veto mature themes etc.) I read my fair share of "twaddle" as a kid too.:D (Ok. As an adult too.)

But frankly if he finds he prefers the non/less twaddly stuff, well, win-win right? ;)

:thumbup:

Here is the booklist for that source:

Among the Dolls

The Arm of the Starfish

The CaSE OF THE Baker Stree Irregular

Deadly Stranger

The Doll in the Garden

The Dollhouse Murders

Eat youR ,Poison, Dear

The Ghost Wore Gray

The Headless Cupid

The House on the Hill

The Midnight Mystery

Peppermints in the Parlor

The Seance

Something Upstairs

All Around the Town

The Callender Papers

The Curse fo teh Blue Figurine

Down a Dark Hall

Dragons in the Waters

The Egypt Game

Ghost Behind Me

Killing Mr Griffin

The Man in the Woods

Mystery at Bluff Pt Dunes

The Snow Spider

Teh Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull

Sweet Whispers, Brohter Rush

The Third Eye

The Truth Trap

The Westing Game

the Young Unicorns

And then there were none

Appt w/DeaTH

tHE Cat Who Talked to Ghosts

The Hound of the Baskervilles

I Know What you Did Last SUmmer

Murder at the Vicarage

Orchard of the Crescent Moon

(FWIW, The Westing Game is an excellent book, but not scary. )

Wow! Thanks for typing all that out! I've put the book on my wish list but couldn't "look inside" and so I had no idea what it covered. I've never heard of most of those books so that is a great resource for more research.

Thanks for all the titles everyone--I've got a great list for my next library run!