Menu

Need Scottish word for . . .

. . . daughter. Google searches are frustrating, so I thought maybe someone in the Hive would know! Thanks!

Or, more specifically, daughter of a shepherd.

'

The Scottish Gaelic word for daughter is "nic" Whereas "son" is "mac". I don't know if antiquity matters...

"nic" is actually a short form of nighean mhic (daughter of the son).

shepherd is an irregular declension in gaelic, and my gaelic is none too good... (although our university school song was in gaelic, lo those many years ago....)

so daughter of the shepherd might be...

nighean buachaille-chaorach

(one who tends sheep)

but i'm pretty sure i don't have the declension right.

see, here in the translation of "the lord is my shepherd i shall not want, the declension is different...

Is e Dia fhèin as buachaill dhomh, cha bhi mi ann an dìth.

for why?

ann

It's a term of endearment in parts of Scotland, so a man serving in a shop might call me 'hen'. A dog called 'Hen' might be confusing though.

I'm no good on Gaelic. I hear 'bairn' for child in Scots, and the word 'wee' (adjective) is used a lot, so 'wee bairn' would be a little child.

I love those terms of endearment. In the south west people say, 'All right, my lover?' to complete strangers.

Laura

Well, I don't need any more suggestions but I thought you all might like to know the name we decided on:

Zoe MacGregor

Zoe because the "z" sound gets her attention and the rest of it carries well when calling her.

MacGregor technically means "son of shepherd". Yes she's a girl but if I tell people NicGregor most will still thing I said MacGregor. ;) So we'll stick with that. :D

Well, I don't need any more suggestions but I thought you all might like to know the name we decided on:

Zoe MacGregor

Zoe because the "z" sound gets her attention and the rest of it carries well when calling her.

MacGregor technically means "son of shepherd". Yes she's a girl but if I tell people NicGregor most will still thing I said MacGregor. ;) So we'll stick with that. :D

Cute name. You can bring Zoe along to meet Rocky and Libby when you come here to see me.;)

in answer to the "for why" question:

we adopted a dog today that they say is Shetland Sheepdog mix, but I also see

some ancestral border collie. Seeing as how those are both Scottish breeds, we

are looking to give her a Scottish name.

We have friends with a border collie named "Breckin" which means "freckles." Does your new dog have any freckles? I've always loved the name.

And congratulations!

astrid

How do you post a picture here? I've never quite figured that out!

If you have a pic on your computer you can upload it using the attachment button. It is the little button on the reply screen that looks like a paper clip. There may be other ways but that is the only one I have used.