Menu

Starting MFW K next month!

Singingmom

I have been waiting for the new edition to roll out!!

I am so excited/ a little nervous! My oldest son turned 5 in Nov. He knows his letters, most of the letter sounds and his numbers up to 20. He spends lots of time every day learning to write his letters, and he is getting very good at it ( he initiates this, using either the dry erase board, his leap pad, or his magna doodle) .

Anyone want to share their experiences with MFW K? I would love any advice, encouragement, warnings :) , etc. you would be willing to share!

Also, for those of you who did MFW K, did you go on to use their 1 St grade curriculum, and beyond, or did you switch? If you did, what did you switch to, and why?

TIA!

I have been kicking around the MFW K for a long time, and I switch back and forth about wanting to do it. Mine will be 5 in about a month and knows all letters/sounds and is working on letters. I m using a reading program, handwriting, and math, so ulimately MFW seemed not for us. But I am keeping an eye on it! I am considering it for 1st grade.

We started it, stopped, then picked it up again. It's a very sweet, gentle, fun curriculum that touches on science and religion as well as LOTS of phonics and reading, plus tons of cutting/pasting/coloring. I use it with my 4-year-old and she loves it. It feels more like a Pre-K program to me than a solid K program, but it's lovely. Dd knows her letter sounds so we don't do all the letter activities, and she asks for extra spelling words (which I give her). We also do a separate math as the math is almost non-existent. I do not plan on using MFW 1, as that switches the focus to history/Bible instead of phonics/science.

I am so excited/ a little nervous! My oldest son turned 5 in Nov. He knows his letters, most of the letter sounds and his numbers up to 20. He spends lots of time every day learning to write his letters, and he is getting very good at it ( he initiates this, using either the dry erase board, his leap pad, or his magna doodle) .

Great! Sounds like he's definitely ready for it. :D My son is the same age (also a November baby), and he has enjoyed it so far, though I'm not exactly using it as written, nor using it everyday/week. That's my own commitment issues. :lol:

We already had other phonics and math, but I am doing the calendar and 100-chart recommendations per MFW (which is the same thing my older son did in Saxon K/1 at school - morning meeting stuff). I think the 100-chart with bundles of straws and money are great for teaching place value. I emphasize that 23 is 2 tens 3 ones

I like the theme activities and LOVE the book basket.

Also, for those of you who did MFW K, did you go on to use their 1 St grade curriculum, and beyond, or did you switch? If you did, what did you switch to, and why?

I'm not planning to use MFW 1, though I did think about doing so. In the end, I decided that we wouldn't be using enough of it to make it worth while. I may use MFW again when we get to Ancients again. The next 2 years, we're doing US History, and DS2 can tag along with that. He also tags along in science. We have our own math/phonics/etc. If I were to use MFW 1, it would have been for K, since we're doing the K program now. MFW 1 supposedly goes pretty fast through the phonics, so if you plan to do K and 1st, I wouldn't worry about the K being "light". I think it's a nice, gentle K program. I don't think K needs to be particularly "rigorous" (since that term has been discussed here a lot lately :lol:).

Although you might want to have supplemental materials or alternatives ready to go in a wish list so if you find that your DS is ready and willing to move ahead quickly or loves school so much it's too light for him, you won't be completely lost - just click, buy, and back on track the next week kind of thing.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the MFW people before deciding not to go with their program (even though I really wanted to like it!).

Wendy,

Can I ask, what specifically turned you off about it?

I love MFW K! My daughter was already reading when we used it, so I didn't use any of the phonics, but I have such sweet memories of her doing many of the science/bible activities. I think one of the first things they do is make a book of the 7 days of creation and I can remember her little face when I told her it was the last day. She got tearful and said she was sad because she'd been having so much fun. She was thrilled to find out it was just the end of the booklet, not the program.

Lisa

My two boys loved MFW K! It was a fun, memorable year!!!! Btw, FIAR has great book lists for reading aloud. We didn't do FIAR as a complete program, but we sure have enjoyed the books!

Have a great year!!!! :)

So do you think FIAR could blend well with MFW K? That's kind of what I was planning to do for added lit. richness. I love FIAR books!! Would it be too much to try to combine them?

How fun!

I am planning to start MFW K with my daughter this Fall. Right now, I am in the process of switiching my oldest son to MFW 1st, after trying SL Core A.

My oldest three are very close in age, just turned 7, 5 and 4. MFW 1st looked like so much fun, I didn't want to miss out on the full experience. Once we've finished with MFW 1st, DS #1 will move on to Adventures and I'll have one in MFW K, 1st and Adv.

Can't wait to hear how you like the re-vamped MFW K! Make sure to update on how it's going.

Monica

What did they change? I really liked it, especially the phonics. Oh, I am itching to buy it now. My 4 year old son is trying to to the WP phonics, but it is harder than the MFW was (that I used with DD).

I'm not 100% sure. They added some extra pages and co-ordinated more things (like math pages to correlate with the Science and letter of the week). I think they added more activities, a bigger book list, change the music CD. Things like that. The web site could probably fill you in better. Or, you can always call MFW. They've always been really wonderful at answering all my questions.

Monica

I loved MFW K...have used it with 2 of my dc now...and will begin with ds3 next year. I agree that it is more of a PreK program, though. I've been so torn about the new and improved program. I saved the 1st ed. but am curious as to the changes. The one change that has me almost sold is the new grid-like lessons plan. I hated all the flipping back and forth in the manual but I'm not sure it is worth it to buy the new one just for that. We did use the 1st gr program for a few months but it just wasn't a good "fit" for my ds. The phonics moved too quickly for him and I had a tough time implementing the rest with all of my other dc. I do like the program though...especially that awesome Bible Reader. One day, we might revisit it. :) We have switched to HOD since then, though, and I do LOVE HOD...even though running multiple guides can be a challenge on the best days and a near impossibility on the worst. ;) My tentative plan for my ds3 (my last little one :() is to begin HOD's LHTH over the summer (at a quicker pace) and move into MFW K. He will be 4 in May so LHTH "might" be too light for him so this is very tentative. :D After MFW K, we will either go with MFW 1st OR do a year of FIAR w/ a phonics and math program. When he is 6, I'd like to move him into HOD Beyond and go through the Guides. Have fun with MFW K. It is such a beautiful program and so much fun. Please post a review of the NEW program when you get it!

we started it in Sept. Know that the Language arts stuff starts out pretty s.l.o.w. We actually don't do all the days of phonics. When your child already knows the letter names, it gets a little old to do the beginning stuff. We mainly stick to the vowel ladder chart & my son has done really well learning how to blend cvc combinations. So we're at a good place with it now. But I'm also thinking of adding in another phonics program. We also do Explode the Code books for handwriting, b/c the handwriting in MFW is lacking IMO.

I have no idea if we're keeping with MFW for 1st grade or not...I'll let you know.

Oh - also, don't think you're alone if you get totally baffled at the layout in the teacher's manual. Yes, once you start doing it , it's easy to understand...but I was sooo confused when I was trying to plan out the first few weeks.

Thank you. I will definitely be open to supplementing if the need arises...and like I said before, I already have FIAR that I was hoping to weave in somewhere.

One thing to check on for supplementing, is on MFW message board under the Kindy Ideas forum

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=10

also, in the newer editions, there is an extensive reading list. I'm guessing plenty of the FIAR books will show up on all kinds of lists out there. I think doing FIAR is fun. With my oldest I "did FIAR". with middle " I used some FIAR for fun reading, but did MFW K"

One thing that I found important over the years with not rushing ahead - make sure skills are in balance. Both times that I used MFW K my children were ahead in reading skills, but on normal track with handwriting.

so there are ways to beef up the Kindy program for children who are traditional Kindy age, to make sure you aren't over looking skills

I'm not sure any of this will make sense without the manual (first edition)

but here is what I did for "beefing up" phonics with a reading child who is 5

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7179#p47744

and how to handle the easy steps in the intro day units

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51&start=25#p51585

In terms of a 5 year old in 1st grade program? It depends a lot. If you have an advanced child in reading, and writing, it can be done. You might have to slow down in some places, pick up in others. Watch the child of course. Make sure that if you hit a plateau to adjust for their physical age.

To answer the original questions... I've used MFW K twice. Once with my middle child - who was already reading but I didn't know because she was so quiet. And also with my autism child. Both of them also used MFW 1st grade. I"m a MFW junkie. so I like it all. that's not helpful.

Things I like: fun, sweet program. I had no greater joy than hearing my children with Bible truths, and having simple fun crafts to do.

Things that I didn't like: well.. the design of the first edition Kindy manual was not my favorite. But it wasn't hard either.

I've often speculated that I would have not liked the Kindy program with my oldest because I wouldn't have thought it enough. But I really liked it with my next children. I'm glad I added more handwriting and copywork skills to the materials already in the program. I didn't add other materials - just tweaked for skills.

so, what's new in the 2nd edition... available march 1... copying from MFW site

Second Edition

The core of the program has not changed. However, the Second Edition Teacher's Manual, now over 220 pages, includes the following revisions:

New grid lesson plan charts for each unit

More hands-on activities

Expanded Bible lessons

Extensive booklist for each unit with many new Book Day storybooks (new in 2011)

Deluxe items are scheduled in the manual

Student Sheets are essentially the same as first edition but now include the following:

New thematic math sheets (such as farm theme math sheet for the horse unit)

New sheets with animal pictures for scheduled activities

Badge patterns to trace

May be used with either a first or second edition Teacher's Manual

Note:

A-Z Textured Letters are included in the Second Edition Basic Package.

Inflatable Globe is included in the Second Edition Deluxe Package.

Say Hello to Classical Music (CD) replaces Introduction to Classical Music.

-crystal

I am using MFW K for the second time this spring.

I love that curriculum. :001_smile: My daughter had such a great time with it. I have alot of nice memories of the volcano and the sundial. :lol:

I can't wait to start again!

Edited to say: If you're looking to supplement, you'll have plenty of time to do that. My kids use those Rod and Staff workbooks (you know, the cutting and pasting, patterns, etc) and my 3rd kid used CLE Learn to Read. You don't have to supplement, tho. We're just busy people. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by starrbuck12

Thanks for the informative posts, ladies! Cbolin, I had no idea there was that many new things added to the new edition. I called to get info on it before it was finished, so didn't get specifics. So glad I am waiting for the new edition!!

A couple of questions:

What is "book day"?

And, I noticed that starbuck12 is going to start this spring like I am. Does it present any problem to start in the spring instead of the traditional fall start time as far as when things are scheduled?

And, I noticed that starbuck12 is going to start this spring like I am. Does it present any problem to start in the spring instead of the traditional fall start time as far as when things are scheduled?

Not at all! I think the last time we used MFW K, we started in February.

BTW, my daughter who uses MFW is a great speller. ;) For later reference...the 1st grade Bible Reader is awesome. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the informative posts, ladies! Cbolin, I had no idea there was that many new things added to the new edition. I called to get info on it before it was finished, so didn't get specifics. So glad I am waiting for the new edition!!

A couple of questions:

What is "book day"?

Agreeing with starbuck12 on the start time of the program. I started one year in March and the other time in July or August? There are a couple of little things that you might have to return to - or use one of the alternate ideas. The first one that pops in my mind is the idea/suggestion of field trip to apple orchard. Do field trips when they make sense in your area -- and never worry if it doesn't match a curriculum.

other little things - the ant hill and butterfly thing. Don't sweat it if you can't do those when you are in the units on that. We did our butterfly in May both times. took pictures. reviewed. did not worry what was we were doing "in school". We just enjoyed it.

Book Day: I'm not sure how it will look or be set up in 2nd edition. In first edition each of the alphabet/science/Bible themes was set up with 6 days worth of lesson plans to cover the topic (not Mon-Sat. .just 6 days to cover a topic.) The Book Day was the day in the unit where you set aside pencils, and workbooks and enjoyed Reading Together a book related to theme of the unit, then you'd go outside of do nature walks, and have a less structured day to "end" the unit.

Reading aloud every day is encouraged of course, but on one day, the Book is the focus of the lesson and activity and not the "phonics worksheets".

-crystal

expanding my answer on book day based on how they mentioned it on their website...

Originally the program had about 78-100 titles listed for book day. Each unit would have 3-4 possible titles. Go to the library. get one... or if none available ask librarian for a children's literature book on the topic

Last year, 2011, Marie Hazell added to the 100 titles about another 300 or so titles. So now there are lots of books and most libraries should have at least one of them. She wrote the program back in the 1990's (1991? originally?) so it was time to update the list.

anyway... a bit more on the list from 2011. some of the info is a little outdated as the new edition is being released... but here's the thread..

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10684&p=72646#p72646

postby Marie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:04 pm

This year (2011) MFW has begun revising our Kindergarten Program. We hope to release a second edition for 2012. In the meantime, we are excited to share two preliminary revisions with you that are in the new Teacher’s Manual. First, the library booklist has been revised and expanded to over 400 books organized by units as compared to the previous manual with about 75 books. More than 20 years has passed since our first edition so this update removes out of print books and includes more recent books. Second, Day 6 books (with their activities) have changed to match the current revision. For your convenience, MFW now sells books for Book Day in our Kindergarten Literature Collection—one story for each unit. There are NO changes in the TM to the reading plan or any of the activities, except for Book Day.

For 2012 (or later) a second edition is planned to include the above changes and many more. Providing the revised booklist early—in 2011—is intended as a service to our customers but it also raises some questions. We would like to answer these questions the best we can.

so, book day is a "literature based fun day" for each unit. unlike FIAR (which I used and liked), you aren't tied to a specific title.

-crystal

Thank you, Crystal! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with me. So glad it won't ruin things to start mid- year!

Agreeing with starbuck12 on the start time of the program. I started one year in March and the other time in July or August? There are a couple of little things that you might have to return to - or use one of the alternate ideas. The first one that pops in my mind is the idea/suggestion of field trip to apple orchard. Do field trips when they make sense in your area -- and never worry if it doesn't match a curriculum.

other little things - the ant hill and butterfly thing. Don't sweat it if you can't do those when you are in the units on that. We did our butterfly in May both times. took pictures. reviewed. did not worry what was we were doing "in school". We just enjoyed it.

Book Day: I'm not sure how it will look or be set up in 2nd edition. In first edition each of the alphabet/science/Bible themes was set up with 6 days worth of lesson plans to cover the topic (not Mon-Sat. .just 6 days to cover a

topic.) The Book Day was the day in the unit where you set aside pencils,

and workbooks and enjoyed Reading Together a book related to theme of the

unit, then you'd go outside of do nature walks, and have a less structured day

to "end" the unit.

How wonderfully Charlotte "Mason-y!! I love it. Thanks for your replies, Crystal!

Reading aloud every day is encouraged of course, but on one day, the Book is the focus of the lesson and activity and not the "phonics worksheets".

-crystal

Sounds fabulous!! I think I'm going to really like all the choices of book!

QUOTE=cbollin;3605327]expanding my answer on book day based on how they mentioned it on their website...

Originally the program had about 78-100 titles listed for book day. Each unit would have 3-4 possible titles. Go to the library. get one... or if none available ask librarian for a children's literature book on the topic

Last year, 2011, Marie Hazell added to the 100 titles about another 300 or so titles. So now there are lots of books and most libraries should have at least one of them. She wrote the program back in the 1990's (1991? originally?) so it was time to update the list.

anyway... a bit more on the list from 2011. some of the info is a little outdated as the new edition is being released... but here's the thread..

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10684&p=72646#p72646

postby Marie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:04 pm

This year (2011) MFW has begun revising our Kindergarten Program. We hope to release a second edition for 2012. In the meantime, we are excited to share two preliminary revisions with you that are in the new Teacher’s Manual. First, the library booklist has been revised and expanded to over 400 books organized by units as compared to the previous manual with about 75 books. More than 20 years has passed since our first edition so this update removes out of print books and includes more recent books. Second, Day 6 books (with their activities) have changed to match the current revision. For your convenience, MFW now sells books for Book Day in our Kindergarten Literature Collection—one story for each unit. There are NO changes in the TM to the reading plan or any of the activities, except for Book Day.

For 2012 (or later) a second edition is planned to include the above changes and many more. Providing the revised booklist early—in 2011—is intended as a service to our customers but it also raises some questions. We would like to answer these questions the best we can.

so, book day is a "literature based fun day" for each unit. unlike FIAR (which I used and liked), you aren't tied to a specific title.

-crystal

I just thought of another "seasonal' but doesn't really have to be ...

Sun Unit - one of the suggestions (among several) is to watch grape change to raisin. I've heard of it working by putting grape in a bag on dashboard of car. I had mine turn out fine and wasn't trying...... a few grape fell into the cabinet where it was warmer.. and it worked. or the grapes on the counter that were forgotten......

it's not the only activity suggested, but I've heard over the years that some people struggled if they weren't in warm place or wrong time of year. so it can be fixed

-crystal