Menu

Is TOG the best option for us?

lorrainejmc

We are loving our TOG journey! I have a 4th (UG) and 1st (LG) grader this year. But I also have a dd that will follow along. Next year, I will bump my oldest up to dialectic. I love having them on the same topic for history and science. It has really eased my day, and they love learning together.

What specifically do you want to know?

Honestly, maybe not. I have been underwhelmed with the amount of resources for the younger crowd (7th grade and down), but it's great for older dialectic/rhetoric level kids.

I have to disagree. I have enjoyed the L.G. and U.G. selections. My little one benefits greatly from the family read-alouds, she is thoroughly enjoying the Christian History selections and the various stories that are selected, as well as the geography. I think TOG is written for the upper levels with great consideration given to the younger siblings. If you only have an LG student, I wouldn't spend the money for TOG but would wait. If you have an UG-R student, I think it's worth it.

From the ages of your kids I would say that TOG could be a really good fit! I have a 5th grader and a 1st grader. They say they don't want to do any other curriculum. The whole family gives TOG a thumbs-up.

(my 5th grader is doing both UG and Dialectic work.)

I have to disagree. I have enjoyed the L.G. and U.G. selections. My little one benefits greatly from the family read-alouds, she is thoroughly enjoying the Christian History selections and the various stories that are selected, as well as the geography. I think TOG is written for the upper levels with great consideration given to the younger siblings. If you only have an LG student, I wouldn't spend the money for TOG but would wait. If you have an UG-R student, I think it's worth it.

From the ages of your kids I would say that TOG could be a really good fit! I have a 5th grader and a 1st grader. They say they don't want to do any other curriculum. The whole family gives TOG a thumbs-up.

(my 5th grader is doing both UG and Dialectic work.)

I totally agree with this. I've used one whole rotation of TOG and now I'm back in year 1. When we started, dd was dialectic and the others were lower grammar. Now my ds is dialectic, other ds is upper grammar and little guy is lower grammar. I've loved TOG for the little guys. The lit selections are gorgeous and have made lasting additions to our home library. I love the lit worksheets and all of the hands-on ideas. We've also enjoyed the bible questions.

We are loving our TOG journey! I have a 4th (UG) and 1st (LG) grader this year. But I also have a dd that will follow along. Next year, I will bump my oldest up to dialectic. I love having them on the same topic for history and science. It has really eased my day, and they love learning together.

What specifically do you want to know?

I find the website and the samples confusing.:001_huh: Are there worksheets included for all ages? If so, are they suitable for my youngest? What about the lapbooks? The writing? (we are already using WWE/FLL and have no plans to change)

My oldest will only get one 4 year cycle before we have to follow the UK curriculum in order for her to get qualifications, so I want it to be the best we can make it. (until now we have done unit studies and this year British/Irish history.)

:001_smile:

I find the website and the samples confusing.:001_huh: Are there worksheets included for all ages? If so, are they suitable for my youngest? What about the lapbooks? The writing? (we are already using WWE/FLL and have no plans to change)

My oldest will only get one 4 year cycle before we have to follow the UK curriculum in order for her to get qualifications, so I want it to be the best we can make it. (until now we have done unit studies and this year British/Irish history.)

We too use FLL / WWE with no plans to change. You can just not purchase the additional "Writing Aids" portion of TOG. There are worksheets for all ages (a Student Activity Page to go along with the Lit selections) as well as suggested questions. The Teacher's notes include all kinds of socratic questions (with answers) to them. There are also teachers' notes that bring you up to speed on everything that you need to know.

For me, TOG is not about the worksheets and the "stuff" (although we do like the map aids) but the discussions and the time we spend together really enjoying the material. We opt to listen to some of the lit selections so that everyone can enjoy them, not just the student for whom it is assigned. We did this with Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Tom Sawyer, and now Little Women. We do make lapbooks, timelines, and things that we enjoy making, but only as a subject comes up that we decide we want to tackle in that way. I have put a lot of these things on my blog.

I also had found the samples online to be somewhat confusing. Once you get used to the layout, it's easy.

TOG is a great value if you plan on using it for more than one cycle. It is a very expensive option if you use it for just one. There are definately other things out there that are less expensive. We plan on making at about 2.5 cycles with ds1, 3 with ds2, and 3 with dd. So for us, it has been a worthwhile investment.

As far as worksheets: yes, they are included. You just print them off. You can also purchase them already printed from Lampstand Press. We've done the lapbooks and really enjoyed them. You don't have to change from WWE/FLL. We use those as well. You just would skip the writing option. Or you could pick and choose as you want. Some writing assignments you might find to be enjoyable and beneficial.

Thanks to everyone who replied. :001_smile:

I spent a long time this morning looking over the samples, book list etc and I get it now. I think it would be perfect for us. As I said, my dd may only get one full cycle, but my 2 boys are coming in at a younger age so I'm OK with the overall cost. I feel quite excited that this may be "the one".:tongue_smilie::lol:

I've been looking at TOG for a while now. I really want to combine my kids for content subjects. I'd love to hear more about how it works from those who use it. My kids will be 5th, 3rd and 1st come September. :bigear:

Mine will be in the same grades next year and we are planning to use it as well. This is our first year. This is also my first year planning everything, we've previously used a hybrid school.

I hope you don't mind me adding a question to your post.

For the seasoned pros out there, how early to do you recommend purchasing the material so you can review it and get the planning started. I'm a huge planner and I am NOT a procrastinator.

Next year will be our third with TOG, Y2 last year, Y3 this year, and Y4 just came in the mail so I can start looking at it for next year. I think it is a wonderful option if you have youngers yet to come and will use it through those rotations. I think of the fact that I have DE plus print (unlimited updates) with a youngest who is only 4 and :).

Buy it as soon as you can afford it. I know from my experience I would have avoided a lot of the fog if I would have spent many weeks with TOG before starting it, learning what order to read notes, where the answers to questions were, etc. I would get it as soon as you can. Flip through it for fun, get to know it backwards and forwards and you will save yourself a lot of struggle in the beginning.

Buy it as soon as you can afford it. I know from my experience I would have avoided a lot of the fog if I would have spent many weeks with TOG before starting it, learning what order to read notes, where the answers to questions were, etc. I would get it as soon as you can. Flip through it for fun, get to know it backwards and forwards and you will save yourself a lot of struggle in the beginning.

:iagree: I went over it with a fine-toothed comb with two friends of mine last summer. We spent so much time with it that when we started it was easy.

Can I ask about the "parent discussion" part? One of the ladies in our co-op was commenting that with Sonlight, though not advised, you could pick up the parent portion and have "intelligent discussion" with your students. With MFW, it seems like there aren't really any "parent helps/crutches". Wondering if with TOG it feels like there are good "Cliff Notes" to go with the material. We're just perusing TOG, thinking about using it in our Co-op. Probably would be using TOG Year 4. :)

Thanks for any comments... Hope it's not too much of a hijack :)

I actually didn't like the way Sonlight sets up the discussion. I prefer TOG's method of the parents having to read the notes, have a sense of understanding of the concepts and be prepared for discussion instead of answers just following questions. It leans more to how I personally want to teach history. The notes are great. I do read the Bible sections ahead or alongside to children to be fully prepared for the Bible and church history type questions but I think of that as a perk not a burden. The notes are well-detailed, with specific sections of the World Book Encyclopedia, etc. Look at the samples online and get a feel for the notes. I don't think you'll be let down.

Can I ask about the "parent discussion" part? One of the ladies in our co-op was commenting that with Sonlight, though not advised, you could pick up the parent portion and have "intelligent discussion" with your students. With MFW, it seems like there aren't really any "parent helps/crutches". Wondering if with TOG it feels like there are good "Cliff Notes" to go with the material. We're just perusing TOG, thinking about using it in our Co-op. Probably would be using TOG Year 4. :)

OMGoodness, yes. The teachers' notes are very comprehensive and give you all the background information, suggested questions and "best answers" for you to help with your discussion. The teacher's notes are an education in and of themselves.

TOG discussion supports (parent reading, teacher response to the questions and further information for discussion, and the CD's if you are in a hurry or your DH wants to participate) make the SL parent portion feel extremely elementary, especially when we start talking about the Dialetic and Rhetoric portions, which is where TOG really shines.

Just wanted to add for you to remember that TOG is doing a big overhaul of TOG Y1, it's scheduled to be coming our for the 2012-2013 school year.

Oh wow.... Thanks, I'll hold off for that.:001_smile:

I have the first printing of Yr1 and am debating about upgrading to DE. The overhaul makes it more tempting, I must say.

If you bought DE now, wouldn't the overhaul come automatically as an upgrade? I guess it would make a difference if you plan to buy print. I hate spending more $ on the year as I already have the plan with all the bells and whistles, and most of the books. I am doing R level though, so I don't want to miss out on the best version. Decisions! :tongue_smilie:

I'm a "DE" girl :tongue_smilie:...I will only buy the DE version...I print it out myself (for cheap because I have very inexpensive ink), and I really want future updates...I have a 7 and a 5 year old who will have to go through the cycles two more times and I will want the most updated version when they get to Rhetoric...Especially for year 4, who knows what will happen between now and then?

To the PP who asked about the Teacher's Notes, they are great!...One of the best things about TOG in my opinion...I have a discussion with my boys based on the notes, and can keep up with what my oldest is reading...

Well, I was actually planning on getting the DE version. Does that mean I could go ahead and purchase anytime and get the updates? If the yr 1 revamp is huge, does that mean the book list will change a lot too? My reason for wanting it early is to plan what books I want and to start buying them.

Well, I was actually planning on getting the DE version. Does that mean I could go ahead and purchase anytime and get the updates? If the yr 1 revamp is huge, does that mean the book list will change a lot too? My reason for wanting it early is to plan what books I want and to start buying them.

:lurk5:

I would ask TOG customer service to be sure, but my understanding is that if you order the DE, you will always have the latest version. I don't know if I will purchase the paper next year. I have the paper / DE edition, mainly because I have trouble concentrating when doing everything digitally. Even so, I have become very used to it, and don't think I will need the paper as much next year. I do use both, but with the year 1 situation, I would probably opt for the DE. just my 2 cents.

For which years? Year 1 has great book selections, but nothing where you need the whole TOG program, IMHO. However, Year 2 has more to it for younger kids. *ESPECIALLY* if you are not looking at it for the religious curriculum part. We ignore that, so Year 1 has very little for us.

For which years? Year 1 has great book selections, but nothing where you need the whole TOG program, IMHO. However, Year 2 has more to it for younger kids. *ESPECIALLY* if you are not looking at it for the religious curriculum part. We ignore that, so Year 1 has very little for us.

Well, if you had specified that it would have been clearer. IMO, the title Tapestry of Grace implies that you have a Christian focus in your homeschool, since the intent of the curriculum is to demonstrate how God's grace has been woven throughout all of human history.

We've liked it a lot! One caution though, don't try to do everything that's offered or you'll burn yourself and your kids out. There is also a learning curve that you need to go through. There is a lot of help from experienced users and from TOG as well, should you ever have any questions. Happy adventures!

OP here. :001_smile:

I do want the religious part. My boys especially think Bible stories are "the best stories ever.":D I can't imagine studying Ancient history without religion coming into it, or any history for that matter.

Even if my kids were in state school (ps) here in N. Ireland, Christianity is assumed and promoted throughout their education. We're kind of unique in that way.

Edited by lorrainejmc

If you order DE now then you can update indefinately whenever there are changes, just remember that before you download you might want to save what year plan you have elsewhere on your computer because it will overwrite what you have. (Directions are on the TOG site.) So I have DE for Y2, I could then in four years download the newest version when we return to that year plan or I could just download the book updates depending on how much has changed. The print versions are based on the current versions at the time of print, but you can alway then just download updated pages (edited to add: with DE or DE plus print. I do not know about print only.). With Y1 it is expected to be an overhaul so it is expected to be more than just a few updated pages for out of print books. You could certainly purchase it now and then just get the update but you might not want to purchase books yet. Clear as mud? :)

Edited by melmichigan

If you order DE now then you can update indefinately whenever there are changes, just remember that before you download you might want to save what year plan you have elsewhere on your computer because it will overwrite what you have. (Directions are on the TOG site.) So I have DE for Y2, I could then in four years download the newest version when we return to that year plan or I could just download the book updates depending on how much has changed. The print versions are based on the current versions at the time of print, but you can alway then just download updated pages. With Y1 it is expected to be an overhaul so it is expected to be more than just a few updated pages for out of print books. You could certainly purchase it now and then just get the update but you might not want to purchase books yet. Clear as mud? :)

Thanks, I think I'll email them and ask when the revised version will be available. I don't want to spend time even planning and choosing books, let alone purchasing any, if they are going to be eliminated.:001_smile:

I do want the religious part. My boys especially think Bible stories are "the best stories ever.":D I can't imagine studying Ancient history without religion coming into it, or any history for that matter.

Even if my kids were in state school (ps) here in N. Ireland, Christianity is assumed and promoted throughout their education. We're kind of unique in that way.

In which case, the entire year 1 is fantastic and you'll love doing it with all your kids. My little guy is 6 and he's really been enjoying our TOG year 1.

Thanks, I think I'll email them and ask when the revised version will be available. I don't want to spend time even planning and choosing books, let alone purchasing any, if they are going to be eliminated.:001_smile:

Make sure you let them know the age of your children. I've felt like the biggest changes are going to be at the D and R level. I've gone through all four redesigned years and they got a whole lot better later in the cycle on those levels.

If the update isn't going to come out until August, I'd go ahead and buy now, but not print much but I'd work on craft planning etc while you wait for the update.

True. The OP was concerned about the cost for only using it one cycle. If you were only going to use it for one cycle I'd buy print and resell.

This is true...I buy DE because I have three kids, none of which are at the Rhetoric stage yet...If I only had one child in Rhetoric, or was only going through the years one time, I would buy print and resell...

Hi, OP here. I think things have got a bit muddled. So....

I have 3 kids.

My oldest *may* only go through TOG for one cycle because of the educational system in the UK. I was never concerned about the cost, I was concerned with having the best possible cycle for her and TOG looks the best fit for us.

My youngest will get 2 cycles at least.

Because I am in the UK, the DE is a better option (no shipping and possible tax to pay) and the resale market for homeschooling is almost non existent anyway, so I never purchase with that in mind.

Hi, OP here. I think things have got a bit muddled. So....

I have 3 kids.

My oldest *may* only go through TOG for one cycle because of the educational system in the UK. I was never concerned about the cost, I was concerned with having the best possible cycle for her and TOG looks the best fit for us.

My youngest will get 2 cycles at least.

Because I am in the UK, the DE is a better option (no shipping and possible tax to pay) and the resale market for homeschooling is almost non existent anyway, so I never purchase with that in mind.

Have you looked into doing exams after the content is covered in TOG? I'm in BC, Canada and my kids will all eventually write provincial exams. Dd wrote her History 12 exam early because we had just finished TOG year 4 (which went way over and above what she needed for History 12). If any of the UK exams are based on a specific historical period, then you could continue doing TOG and just add in a bit of exam prep.

Yes, but everyone's beliefs are different. That's why I specified. Many people of all faiths (even Christian) take issue with some of the specific religious pushings. We also study the religion aspect to some degree (I was raised Jewish), but we do not do it all, because of my religious beliefs. :)

Does anyone know when/how often they update the modern section? I find it frustrating that many curriculum lag behind in what is current. My 13 year old is in PS and didn't know that Hillary Clinton was married to Bill Clinton:glare:

Year 4 is only two years old and goes all the way to Obama, although they say somewhere they try to handle the last week or two slightly differently because they're more current events than history. However I did not see that difference when we used that plan.

Have you looked into doing exams after the content is covered in TOG? I'm in BC, Canada and my kids will all eventually write provincial exams. Dd wrote her History 12 exam early because we had just finished TOG year 4 (which went way over and above what she needed for History 12). If any of the UK exams are based on a specific historical period, then you could continue doing TOG and just add in a bit of exam prep.

I have been thinking about that. I'm certain the path all our chosen curricula is taking will go way over what is covered in the exams she would be taking.;)