Menu

Kindle question

My daughter loves to read but needs to run her finger under the words as she reads. I let her use my kindle fire to read a book, but she couldn't get past the first page since it's a touch screen. We'd love to get her a kindle or a nook or something but I need something she can run her finger under the words. Any suggestions?

The original Kindle ($79) does not have a touch screen, but it does not have an audiobook capability. The Kindle Keyboard ($139) does not have a touch screen either, but it does have the audio capability and is 3G. I would definitely get a Kindle though so you can share content.

My daughter loves to read but needs to run her finger under the words as she reads. I let her use my kindle fire to read a book, but she couldn't get past the first page since it's a touch screen. We'd love to get her a kindle or a nook or something but I need something she can run her finger under the words. Any suggestions?

I would personally suggest the Amazon Kindle 3G which does not have a touch screen so easier for children to use and now it is reduced with the adavnces with touch screen ebook readers. I ahve found some great websites for learning ebooks for children as well Scribd.com offers informative essays and documents, perfect for student snad teachers alike. Group on you can purchase on off deals for ebooks for if you have specific ebook and can get great daily deals on the price of them. MyDailyLit, DailyLit is a bit different from the rest but I really like what they’re doing there. DailyLit can deliver a small excerpt from the book of your choice to your email on a daily basis. One excerpt per day, and so untill the book is finished. Hope this is of help to those interedted! Happy book reading!

:grouphug:

Edited by BeehiveSez
spelling mistake

I would get her the basic $79 Kindle if she doesn't need the audio capability, or the slightly more expensive Kindle Keyboard if she does. By sticking with the Kindle line, you can share content and not have to manage separate accounts on different websites.

Oh, that brings up a lot more questions!

I have the kindle fire - I received it for Christmas. If I bought a textbook on kindle and bought two girls a kindle (either one of the cheaper ones), would I only have to pay for the textbook one time? Or would I need to buy three copies? (Which obviously I wouldn't do).

Also, with audio capabilities, does that read books for you? That might be handy as DH has horrible vision and he does like to listen to audio books with the kids. It might be neat for them to listen to them throughout the day (certain chapters) and discuss them at night.

We're looking at this for next school year, so I have time to get my $$$'s together. I'm hoping to have two at home by that point.

I have the kindle fire - I received it for Christmas. If I bought a textbook on kindle and bought two girls a kindle (either one of the cheaper ones), would I only have to pay for the textbook one time? Or would I need to buy three copies? (Which obviously I wouldn't do).

t.

If the Kindles are all linked to the same account, then the books are available on all of them. However, just like a hard copy, you can only read one at a time. The pages will get synchronized on all kindles, so it's hard to assign the same book to two different people at the same time.

If the books are not linked to the same account, you can lend to another kindle, if you're in the States. But again, only one reader at a time

Also, with audio capabilities, does that read books for you? That might be handy as DH has horrible vision and he does like to listen to audio books with the kids. It might be neat for them to listen to them throughout the day (certain chapters) and discuss them at night.

We're looking at this for next school year, so I have time to get my $$$'s together. I'm hoping to have two at home by that point.

If you register all kindles on the same amazon account you only need to buy books/textbooks once. Since you already have a kindle I recommend staying with another kindle not getting a nook, you would not be able to share your purchases.

I know the audio capabilities come on the kindle touch and the kindle keyboard, I'm not sure about the others. I would go check out a kindle at a store to really hear the audio. It does give a male voice or female voice option. My son likes the voices but it doesn't sound right with all books. I just finished reading theHelp and with the southern dialect it was awkward when I tested the audio. Also the audio isn't available for all books. When you purchase a book, free or at a cost it will

list if the text to speech is enabled for that book. We have a kindle touch and love it. I soo love that I can get books from the library without even going! May be lazy but so cool!

I recommend you get the basic 79$ kindle. I had 2 kindle keyboards. Both of them had the screen go bad in the space of a year (lines across it, unreadable). The first time it was under warranty, the next time it was just past and I was screwed. Also, the bottom corners of the kindle keyboard tend to get tiny cracks coming from them. From personal experience, and also when I was at Target getting a Kindle Touch yesterday, the floor model of the kindle keyboard had cracks in both bottom corners. I personally bet the new model is sturdier. And cheaper.

If the Kindles are all linked to the same account, then the books are available on all of them. However, just like a hard copy, you can only read one at a time. The pages will get synchronized on all kindles, so it's hard to assign the same book to two different people at the same time.

If the books are not linked to the same account, you can lend to another kindle, if you're in the States. But again, only one reader at a time

This is not strictly true; you can tell Amazon in the Manage My Kindle section, to not sync each book across all devices. DH reads on Kindle apps on his iPad and I read on our actual Kindle and we often read the same thing w/o syncing problems.

Also the lending to another Kindle is dependent on publisher approval; not all books have that available (lending between different accounts) whereas most or all allow each of your own devices (one account) to share content.

I recommend you get the basic 79$ kindle. I had 2 kindle keyboards. Both of them had the screen go bad in the space of a year (lines across it, unreadable). The first time it was under warranty, the next time it was just past and I was screwed. Also, the bottom corners of the kindle keyboard tend to get tiny cracks coming from them. From personal experience, and also when I was at Target getting a Kindle Touch yesterday, the floor model of the kindle keyboard had cracks in both bottom corners. I personally bet the new model is sturdier. And cheaper.

No, no!! I don't want to hear this! I've got a keyboard I want to sell so I can move up to Fire. Mine is a year old but doesn't have anything wrong with it.

I'm off to google keyboard problems.

No, no!! I don't want to hear this! I've got a keyboard I want to sell so I can move up to Fire. Mine is a year old but doesn't have anything wrong with it.

I'm off to google keyboard problems.

maybe the problem is with the original kindle? The current Kindle Keyboard was the 2nd version released and I've not heard of any problems with that one. I've got it, a year old? two years old? now I can't remember....anyway, no problems with mine and I frequently pop in at the Kindle discussion forums on Amazon and haven't seen this complaint coming up.

I think you are probably safe.

This has not been my experience. DS12 and I are both reading the same book on our Fires. We often read at the same time. He is ahead of me in the book, so it will ask me if I want to go to the page he's on, but I just click "no" and it will stay on the page I'm on.

Im sure I have read about ways to get around this issue though, amybe do some research into being able to split books across a number of readers so you dont have to purchase the same book 2/3 times. I f you are looking for other sites to purchase ebooks from other than Amazon.co.uk, I have found some really good ones recently, Booksonboard have a huge variety of renowned books but not always the most up to date releases. Textbooks is perfect for those looking for a good deal on study texts books, journals to covers a vast array of subjects, you will able to find most titles on here. Groupon is good for finding one off deals on ebooks as it vastly reduces the cost of single titles, so if you want something specific cheap head there.

hope this is helpful!

:grouphug:

Edited by BeehiveSez

We currently have 3. You only have to purchase one copy if they are all linked to the same account. You may have up to 5 devices on one account. Each device allows the book to be read as a separate book- keeps each reader's place and notes. We use ours for school, and it is saving me a bundle! Only, I really need to buy one more.:glare: