Menu

Tired of hoop jumping (AKA: PDE stay out of my bizness)

We live in PA. One of the most instrusive states re: homeschooling. Up until now, I've tolerated it. I do my job. I get the affidavits notarized ($$), turn in my proof of physical/dental exam forms, do the standardized testing, teach the mandatory subjects, keep records, put together a portfolio of work samples, have our evaluator look at them and turn in her "form" stating that adequate education is taking place. This year, our district is requiring that we turn in the actual portfolios. I know this is nothing new for some in PA. It's new for us. We've always just turned in the evaluator's statement. I'm ticked. I'm ticked b/c this is yet another "hoop" I have to jump through to "earn" the "right" to homeschool my children. And the thing that has me so :cursing::cursing: right now is that our high school students are not issued a state diploma if they are homeschool graduates. We have to go through a "diploma program" (more $$) in order to get one. So, let me get this straight? You want to SEE that adequate education is taking place but won't issue my graduate a diploma based on that work? Really? So...public school teachers don't have to keep work samples. They just turn in grade reports. End of story. I have to turn in samples...yet still can't get a state issued diploma. Really? :confused::glare: I feel like fighting this. I think I'll actually have my 10th grader write a letter to the PDE explaining why this is so completely unfair and disrespectful. Sorry to vent...I'm just beyond angry right now.

I am so with you! We have always had to turn ours in to the district. However, the secretary fills out the form they use and I would assume from that is the one who reviews them. My evaluator's letter should be sufficient as the law says they have to be approved by the PDE to evaluate. My thought has always been, "So you don't trust the people you approve to determine whether my child is receiving an appropriate education?" I know that there has been a bill introduced several times in the education committee in Harrisburg to change the law so that an evaluator's letter is all that is needed but it always dies in committee. Apparently there are several lawmakers from the Philly area who always shoot it down.

This is a good reminder of one major reason we didn't move back to PA when we returned from overseas. Our current state is so much more homeschooling friendly- though some in the state try every year or so to make it more difficult for homeschoolers.

Assuming my son stays in his current program, we are finished homeschooling, but I now think about how it will be for my grandchildren, now that my daughter is definitely planning to homeschool.

We're in PA, too. I've always been insulted that my friends in other states are assumed to be good parents properly educating their children, and DH and I are assumed to be criminals until we prove otherwise. The hoops are really beyond the pale. Our eldest (always homeschooled) is a Junior in college but we still have two more to go. It's really annoying. I agree 100% with you! I'm very thankful for the free-net evaluations we now get, because I used to pay $50 per child for evaluations ($150 total!) which - in some leaner years - was more than I paid for all our homeschooling materials. :001_huh:

We're lucky to live in a very homeschool friendly state which only requires Notice of Intent and yearly testing (of my choice, and records are not even turned in to anybody). But, we use to be involved with a public school / homeschool co-op. The hoop jumping was insane and grew each year. I hated having to justify/prove every month what we were doing at home. It really made me a less effective teacher to my dd because I always had to consider how much explaining I wanted to do if we deviated from our "plan." We finally left the program this year, and it has been wonderful. Freedom! I love it. So sorry for all you in PA (or NY, or ....).

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. :) It's not a TON of extra work to just turn in the stupid portfolio...but it IS the principle of the situation. I'm thinking of having the district sign a paper stating when they will give back the portfolio and have a paper with some sort of Privacy statement on it. I don't want just "anyone" looking at my portfolio. And if it is the secretary. :confused: What sort of blessed credentialing does SHE have to approve or disapprove my portfolio? Grrrr.....just getting more and more angry by the moment. :glare:

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. :) It's not a TON of extra work to just turn in the stupid portfolio...but it IS the principle of the situation. I'm thinking of having the district sign a paper stating when they will give back the portfolio and have a paper with some sort of Privacy statement on it. I don't want just "anyone" looking at my portfolio. And if it is the secretary. :confused: What sort of blessed credentialing does SHE have to approve or disapprove my portfolio? Grrrr.....just getting more and more angry by the moment. :glare:

I don't live in PA, but even my state's minimal requirements irk me. We have mandatory testing, and kids who fall below the fourth stanine end up with the school district involved at some level into their hsing.

On the surface, that might not seem like a bad idea for some, but what, exactly, is the public school doing with their own kids who fall below that stanine?? And how are they necessarily better suited to make decisions for my kids?

I've never heard of anyone falling below that standard, but the principle of it really irks me. I don't believe the state has ANY legal right to intrude (regardless of what it thinks, eyes rolling).

Really...public school teachers don't have to keep work samples.

This is not correct. As a public school teacher (normally subbing, but working full time in 8th grade at the moment), YES, we DO have to keep work samples (generally tests and/or papers) from each of our students. We have to be able to prove their grades. I have filing cabinets full of them.

Personally, I'm ok with PA's laws and don't find them cumbersome. We've had to turn in portfolios since year 1 of our homeschooling. It's never been a problem. I sometimes see the results of what I don't consider "adequate" homeschooling when homeschoolers come to our school unable to write a basic sentence by 8th grade (without physical problems) or know any math beyond basic addition/subtraction. I'm glad our state tries to ensure kids get a certain level of education. I know many on here disagree with that, but so be it. I prefer PA's way even if the bulk of parents in the Hive have no need of such oversight. There are many out there who differ.

It also came in handy when dealing with a couple of colleges... they trusted our homeschooling since we were from a "regulated" state, but required more from students from non-regulated states. They verbally told us this was the reason. I never had to fill out course descriptions (for any college) or anything that many others have to do. Of course, if your students aren't college bound, this won't be an asset... but I appreciated it. Sometimes it helps to look at the positives.

Sue,

:grouphug:

Yes.. that's the big reason my husband turned down a job offer in that state. and it was a lot more money! But, we're happy here with the work he's doing in cancer research, and no state income tax, etc. etc..... But for 5 minutes he was considering a job in PA.. I showed him the homeschooling hoops and he declined their generous offer.

I know a lot of people who homeschool in other states who don't face any of the college stuff mentioned. I have friends in various low regulated states who never filled out anything like a course description or lists of books or anything except parent issues transcripts, and sent in SAT/ACT scores. Children are on full ride scholarships to universities.

and in terms of public schools that get children who can't write.... that happens in cases even where the child was public schooled or other group school. Not all homeschools fail to teach writing. Not all public schooled students learn it either. More paperwork doesn't guarantee anything. Where's the balance? who knows?

:grouphug: It is frustrating to hear how those in other states get to file less paperwork and colleges in those states don't require hoops. Seems so inconsistent. I know a local private college in my city requires homeschoolers to take a certain number of SAT Subject tests (not English or Math) as well as SAT/ACT, but does not require it of any other applicant. just silly. I mean.... we're technically enrolled in a state approved private school, but we're homeschoolers. So at that college, we wouldn't have to submit those SAT subject tests, but others would. Makes no sense at all. glad we're not applying there in any case..... too much money for too little of school.

but at least with the US1 MFW stuff you'll have "real tests". :lol: :lol: just scan the things for your records, because someone will lose something at some point.

:grouphug:

-crystal

Personally, I'm ok with PA's laws and don't find them cumbersome. We've had to turn in portfolios since year 1 of our homeschooling. It's never been a problem. I sometimes see the results of what I don't consider "adequate" homeschooling when homeschoolers come to our school unable to write a basic sentence by 8th grade (without physical problems) or know any math beyond basic addition/subtraction. I'm glad our state tries to ensure kids get a certain level of education. I know many on here disagree with that, but so be it. I prefer PA's way even if the bulk of parents in the Hive have no need of such oversight. There are many out there who differ.

It also came in handy when dealing with a couple of colleges... they trusted our homeschooling since we were from a "regulated" state, but required more from students from non-regulated states. They verbally told us this was the reason. I never had to fill out course descriptions (for any college) or anything that many others have to do. Of course, if your students aren't college bound, this won't be an asset... but I appreciated it. Sometimes it helps to look at the positives.

Creekland,

I live in Adams County, also, and have always had to submit portfolios. I actually enjoy reading the comments our superintendent writes to the children (we're in the smallest district in the county, so he personally comments on each and every portfolio), and am pleased that he genuinely cares about what our kids are doing. My best friend evaluates the majority of the kids in our district (she taught elementary there for twelve years before becoming a homeschooling mom) and our superintendent told her that he feels our district homeschoolers are far better off with what they're doing at home. Thank God for a homeschool-friendy school district!

Carrie

We, too, have turned down DH job offers in PA because of the crazy hoops to jump through. In fact, there has been times when we sent him ahead to do the job and the rest of us stayed behind in the home state because we simply wanted no part of state hoops. At one point, DH was gone 18 months and would fly to visit us once or twice a month. The only moves our whole family took part in were to states with minimal rules for homeschoolers.

For me, I simply will NOT put up with the state acting as if they can do a better job than me, when clearly, their own results scream the opposite.

Creekland,

I live in Adams County, also, and have always had to submit portfolios. I actually enjoy reading the comments our superintendent writes to the children (we're in the smallest district in the county, so he personally comments on each and every portfolio), and am pleased that he genuinely cares about what our kids are doing. My best friend evaluates the majority of the kids in our district (she taught elementary there for twelve years before becoming a homeschooling mom) and our superintendent told her that he feels our district homeschoolers are far better off with what they're doing at home. Thank God for a homeschool-friendy school district!

Carrie

Howdy neighbor! We get a form letter back each year, but since my kids have done extremely well homeschooling, I've had some people in the district asking what we use... unfortunately, it hasn't changed anything within our school though. Wheels move slowly with that kind of change. We have a ps high school teacher from a neighboring district as our evaluator. He and his wife homeschool their children too. They've been very curious as to what we do as their kids are younger, but on their way up.

I'd definitely call our district homeschool friendly - at least - for those who truly home educate. When I go in to pick up portfolios there are huge stacks of them, so it's pretty popular around here.

For me, I simply will NOT put up with the state acting as if they can do a better job than me, when clearly, their own results scream the opposite.

EXACTLY! To the PP whose state intervenes when test results are poor...I would be on the phone to HSLDA. Scads of public school students are falling below certain stanines but b/c we are HOMESCHOOLERS, obviously we must not be teaching didly if our students fall below the 4th stanine. One of the main reasons I homeschool (besides religious reasons) is that I do not believe that all students should fit into this cookie-cutter mold that our illustrious govt. deems the "standard" for performance at certain grade levels. My children are INDIVIDUALS (as are yours). Each is unique and gifted in different ways. Some, as I have posted, read far above grade level, do math above grade level and write above grade level. Some, struggle with reading, but are progressing, but perform at "grade level" in math. 2 of my children will not test well this year. My struggling reader and my "I could care less about this stupid test" kid. And I will tell you right now, if the district gives me grief about the test scores I will call HSLDA in a heartbeat. I don't agree at all with any state telling me how and what I should be teaching my child. They are MY children. PDE approves each and every evaluator. So basically what PDE is saying is they don't trust their own people! LOL!

We, too, have turned down DH job offers in PA because of the crazy hoops to jump through. In fact, there has been times when we sent him ahead to do the job and the rest of us stayed behind in the home state because we simply wanted no part of state hoops. At one point, DH was gone 18 months and would fly to visit us once or twice a month. The only moves our whole family took part in were to states with minimal rules for homeschoolers.

Wow, this is definitely NOT us. There's no way at all I'd give up anywhere near that amount of time with my hubby and my boys with their dad over one hour of filing paperwork, another hour of evaluation, and a couple of hours of creating a portfolio. The thought of doing it boggles my mind, but...

to each our own.

EXACTLY! To the PP whose state intervenes when test results are poor...I would be on the phone to HSLDA. Scads of public school students are falling below certain stanines but b/c we are HOMESCHOOLERS, obviously we must not be teaching didly if our students fall below the 4th stanine. One of the main reasons I homeschool (besides religious reasons) is that I do not believe that all students should fit into this cookie-cutter mold that our illustrious govt. deems the "standard" for performance at certain grade levels. My children are INDIVIDUALS (as are yours). Each is unique and gifted in different ways. Some, as I have posted, read far above grade level, do math above grade level and write above grade level. Some, struggle with reading, but are progressing, but perform at "grade level" in math. 2 of my children will not test well this year. My struggling reader and my "I could care less about this stupid test" kid. And I will tell you right now, if the district gives me grief about the test scores I will call HSLDA in a heartbeat. I don't agree at all with any state telling me how and what I should be teaching my child. They are MY children. PDE approves each and every evaluator. So basically what PDE is saying is they don't trust their own people! LOL!

:iagree: about kids/learning not being all about test scores. This is one reason why portfolios are good and why some colleges are going SAT/ACT optional - with portfolios turned in instead (available to all students, not just hs or ps). With a portfolio, one can look at samples of what has been done throughout the year and see where the student is at and that they have been doing something - perhaps excelling at something not on the test (my lower testing guy is superb at most sciences).

I've yet to see our school intervene over test scores for hs students. They would (probably) intervene over a poor portfolio (no evidence of learning at the student's level). I would like to think they would anyway. I, personally, do want to see people educated no matter which family they grow up in. I'm ok with a ton of variety and I disagree that all students need super high levels of any particular subject, but, barring physical issues, I want them able to read and do math at a basic level. I'm in 8th grade at an underperforming school now and I've yet to see any (no physical issues) student who can't do that even if they aren't up to "grade level." Those who are below "proficient" get extra help daily. It may, or may not, bring them up to proficient, but at least something is being done.

And for high school levels? Some kids are awesome at art, shop, drafting, photography, music, baking, sewing or childcare. Our school has two days per year where those projects are "shown off" so students and the public can see other things going on in our school for those who choose them even if all kids still take math/English and the "tested" stuff. And we're an underperforming school.

I'm NOT saying ps is better than hs. If I believed that I wouldn't be here and wouldn't be worrying about how my youngest is going to do there. I believe homeschooling is better because one CAN tailor the education to their child. But there are some out there who don't do ps or hs. I care about those kids too and am glad my state does what it can to try to ensure they get an education even if it means I have to jump through hoops I don't need.

I can understand those who move if it is so offensive. Right now I'm thinking that's a good idea for those folks. I'd never "separate" over it as that's just not my family - we got married to be together and to raise our kids together - but if it bugged me that much, yes, we'd likely move. What little we have to do here in PA doesn't bug me one iota and I'd vote to keep it if it ever came up for a vote.

I've yet to see our school intervene over test scores for hs students. They would (probably) intervene over a poor portfolio (no evidence of learning at the student's level).

According to my evaluator/friend, she has seen test scores as low as 19th percentile, and our district didn't bat an eyelash. She knows this is because the portfolio can paint a much better picture of the kind of work a child is doing over the course of the whole school year (and make it obvious to the superintendent that he may be looking at the work of a child with special needs). We only need to prove that we are making progress, not that our children are on a certain grade level. Our superintendent will show concern if he thinks there are too few samples (he needs enough info to be able to say that one has satisfactorily met the mandates of the law). In that case, he will send a letter to the parents asking to see a few more samples (a friend of mine needed to do this one year, and it was not a big deal).

I have always homeschooled in PA. Yes, I find the regulations a giant hassle. Pennsylvania is not a free state. It seems as if we have to have a permit to do everything, like install an above-ground swimming pool or a movable car port on our own property.

I think whether a person finds the regulations cumbersome reallys depends on how one feels about government in general.

Personally, I don't think the state should have a say in how I raise or educate my children.

I live in the same district that I graduated from. I know way too many things about the credentials and character of the teachers and administration. In our district, teachers are not required to keep samples of their students work. They are not allowed to give zeros for incompleted work. They are told to do whatever they need to do to pass these kids so that our district stats look good. I could go on and on. And yet, these are the people evaluating my educational program.

On the other hand, I do realize that these regulations give Pennsylvania homeschoolers protection that other states do not have. I mean, no one can accuse me of educational neglect. I have the superintendent's signature to prove that I have met the mandate of the law.:glare: (Although, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't even look at our portfolio. I have a friend who has never handed in a log with her portfolio and no one has ever said anything.)

But since we won't be moving anytime soon, I've learned to deal with it. I really don't think our district cares what my kids are doing. The district is far too busy implementing any new educational fad that comes along.

In our district, teachers are not required to keep samples of their students work.

Out of curiosity, is this still true? I know our district changed just in the past couple of years and other nearby district teachers have told me they've had to change too. I assumed it was a state change, but perhaps not?

Otherwise, yes, we homeschool due to the deficiencies in our local ps, so I can relate to a bit of what you are saying. The longer I work at the local high school the more it wears on me. I just think kids need to be educated regardless of which path their folks take. PA's laws try to ensure that happens. Hive parents wouldn't drop the education (the vast majority of us wouldn't anyway) but there are several out there who do if they can. Their kids shouldn't be punished academically due to their parents.

I was homeschooled K-graduation. I can remember my mother taking our portfolios in with fear and trepidation every year fearful she would be summoned to court for truancy. I remember her hating the intrusive nature of the whole thing. People treated her badly in the office. Our portfolios would come home missing stuf... Corrected in red pen...graded... It was all together demeaning and infuriating.

She help get HSLDA started and I DID go for a diploma. My # is something like 397. I am so glad I did. PA colleges fought with her over my transcripts even WITH a diploma! Many would not let me in just because of the hostility.

I guess I say all that as a way to completely empathize. I don't remember a time we didn't have to turn in portfolios in Dover Township.

EXACTLY! To the PP whose state intervenes when test results are poor...I would be on the phone to HSLDA. Scads of public school students are falling below certain stanines but b/c we are HOMESCHOOLERS, obviously we must not be teaching didly if our students fall below the 4th stanine.

State law, out of HSLDA's hands completely. From the HEAV website:

------------------

What happens if test scores are low?

A composite score at or above the 23rd percentile or the 4th stanine is acceptable. If test scores are below the 23rd percentile, you may choose to have the student retested with another standardized test or evaluated using an alternative assessment (an independent evaluation or a portfolio). If adequate progress is not demonstrated, the superintendent may allow the parent to file a remediation plan for one additional year of homeschooling. The parent must also present a strategy that shows how he plans to provide an adequate education for his child. The remediation plan must meet the division superintendent's approval. It is up to the discretion of the superintendent to determine if the parent can provide an adequate education during remediation.

-----------------

My friend makes an appointment with the superintendants office at her school district and brings in her portfolios for them to review while she waits. She won't leave them there.

We have very different degrees of homeschool "friendliness" here in the local school districts. One district allows homeschoolers to come in and take classes at the schools (elementary-high school) such as lab science, foreign language in the high school and "specials" such as gym, art, music at all grade levels. The are very inclusive. Then some do everything they can do to prohibit homeschoolers from even participating in sports by requiring ridiculous forms that need to be delivered to the school every Friday by noon stating that the student has had a good attitude and is passing and had a certain number of hours in school. My local district recently changed all the music, band, chorus classes and activities into graded classes/subjects to keep the homeschoolers out. They even consider the school play part of the curriculum...just wish there was some continuity.

As we just moved to PA from IL in August (from a no regulated state to a very regulated state)... so far I haven't found it difficult here in PA with homeschooling Dd. Maybe it is the district we are in?

All I did was submit the affidavit and education objectives for what she is doing this year in 11th grade and listed text books we planned to use.

I haven't been keeping attendance log but figure I could throw one together in no time. I think I am supposed to have Dd do PSSA? I have to really look into this!!!! But that isn't a big deal either IMO. She already took the SAT in October and did fairly well. Not outstanding, but average. Reading 540, Math 510, Writing 560.

We are planning to graduate her this year. I don't know if we will go with a diploma program or GED or both. She is going to attend a community college for next year (normally be 12th grade) or two. She is a hard worker and plans to take a English and math class over the summer just to make sure she is up to speed for college courses. We know she is ready, she just wants to be very ready.

As we just moved to PA from IL in August (from a no regulated state to a very regulated state)... so far I haven't found it difficult here in PA with homeschooling Dd. Maybe it is the district we are in?

All I did was submit the affidavit and education objectives for what she is doing this year in 11th grade and listed text books we planned to use.

I haven't been keeping attendance log but figure I could throw one together in no time. I think I am supposed to have Dd do PSSA? I have to really look into this!!!! But that isn't a big deal either IMO. She already took the SAT in October and did fairly well. Not outstanding, but average. Reading 540, Math 510, Writing 560.

We are planning to graduate her this year. I don't know if we will go with a diploma program or GED or both. She is going to attend a community college for next year (normally be 12th grade) or two. She is a hard worker and plans to take a English and math class over the summer just to make sure she is up to speed for college courses. We know she is ready, she just wants to be very ready.

You do NOT have to do the PSSA - or any testing beyond 8th grade. Go ahead and put a copy of the SAT results in the front of your portfolio and they likely won't even care about the rest as long as there is something there. You've already beat the state average, so you're fine. ;)

PA homeschooling is not tough. Maybe there are districts that make it tougher, but other than on here, I just haven't seen it or heard of it through the grapevine.

I have always homeschooled in PA. Yes, I find the regulations a giant hassle. Pennsylvania is not a free state. It seems as if we have to have a permit to do everything, like install an above-ground swimming pool or a movable car port on our own property.

I think whether a person finds the regulations cumbersome reallys depends on how one feels about government in general.

Personally, I don't think the state should have a say in how I raise or educate my children.

I live in the same district that I graduated from. I know way too many things about the credentials and character of the teachers and administration. In our district, teachers are not required to keep samples of their students work. They are not allowed to give zeros for incompleted work. They are told to do whatever they need to do to pass these kids so that our district stats look good. I could go on and on. And yet, these are the people evaluating my educational program.

On the other hand, I do realize that these regulations give Pennsylvania homeschoolers protection that other states do not have. I mean, no one can accuse me of educational neglect. I have the superintendent's signature to prove that I have met the mandate of the law.:glare: (Although, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't even look at our portfolio. I have a friend who has never handed in a log with her portfolio and no one has ever said anything.)

But since we won't be moving anytime soon, I've learned to deal with it. I really don't think our district cares what my kids are doing. The district is far too busy implementing any new educational fad that comes along.

Wow. I really feel sorry for PA Homeschoolers.

And yes, I dislike governmental intrusion.

No one can disregard my children's achievements either, even though my state requires NOTHING but 180 days in school a year, because I have documented them, and they have participated in outside classes and taken national tests on which they have scored very highly since 3rd grade.

That argument some make about the necessity for overseeing negligent homeschoolers will be valid for me when the government cleans up the failing school districts for which they extort $10,0000+ per year per student around here. Clean up the beam in your own eye before looking at the speck in mine.

I realized very early on that if I did NOTHING but just read to my kids (of course I did much more, have three degrees, etc), they would be better off than in the school system.

Out of curiosity, is this still true? I know our district changed just in the past couple of years and other nearby district teachers have told me they've had to change too. I assumed it was a state change, but perhaps not?

Creekland, I asked my sister who also teaches in PA and she said, No, she does not have to keep samples. It must be the districts in your area.

I understand the argument that the laws are there to protect children from neglect. I just don't agree with it. There will always be parents who neglect their children's education. Why should the rest of us be infringed upon because of the neglectful few?

And, PA's regulations are a bit much. I actually would rather just have my kids tested every year and be done with it. The whole process of log, testing, portfolio, evaluation, and district submission seems redundant to me.