Menu

Practical fashion blogs/websites?

DH has determined I should spend my birthday being depressed. He is taking me shopping and forcing me to buy some clothing. He is trying to be nice as I rarely buy clothing for myself. I live in jeans and t-shirts and I am happy in my jeans and t-shirts. I cannot justify spending more money on t-shirts, although a new pair of jeans will be nice. I have no idea what kind of outfit he has in mind other than a new bra (which I desperately need). Does anyone have links to comfortable yet more fashionable clothing ideas? Any favorite brands for bras? I've been wearing Victoria Secrets for years, but they have stopped sewing them and started gluing them together, and they keep falling apart on me. Oh, and my birthday is tomorrow, so no time to go check out library books or reading much of any kind.

Old Navy is great for jeans. They have several different fits so you can find one that flatters you. Also, go for a dark wash as you will look more put together even in just jeans/tshirt.

Maybe a scarf or other accessory to brighten up your t-shirts?

I like this blog that someone here suggested, just for ideas of what is cute right now...

http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/

Target and Kohls are both great for always finding SOMETHING and pretty reasonable prices.

Don't be depressed! Have fun!

Old Navy is great for jeans. They have several different fits so you can find one that flatters you. Also, go for a dark wash as you will look more put together even in just jeans/tshirt.

Maybe a scarf or other accessory to brighten up your t-shirts?

I like this blog that someone here suggested, just for ideas of what is cute right now...

http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/

Target and Kohls are both great for always finding SOMETHING and pretty reasonable prices.

Don't be depressed! Have fun!

Cute website...is there anything out there that shows bigger women, in their thirties/forties, and wearing clothes that are easy to find?

I have absolutely no advice, but wanted to offer you a very heartfelt mama-of-8 :grouphug: because my dh does exactly the same thing for my birthdays, also trying to be super-sweet, and yes, it makes my birthday a huge depression-inducing event as well.

IME it's somewhat less depressing if you have specific and achievable items you're looking for, and one is an accessory that you have reasonable chance at success with. Like "scarf that contains orange" or "smaller silver w/ turquoise earrings to go with my blue sweater". That way, even if you have an otherwise depressing time trying on a bazillion tops that make you look _____ (fill in blank), you'll come home with something you like, and that will be one more thing to wear often than you had before your birthday.

Another :grouphug:. I hope you end up having an unexpectedly super-fun and productive time! If you have a Sephora or Ulta in your mall, maybe have someone help you pick a new lipstick shade that looks great with your coloring?

I have absolutely no advice, but wanted to offer you a very heartfelt mama-of-8 :grouphug: because my dh does exactly the same thing for my birthdays, also trying to be super-sweet, and yes, it makes my birthday a huge depression-inducing event as well.

IME it's somewhat less depressing if you have specific and achievable items you're looking for, and one is an accessory that you have reasonable chance at success with. Like "scarf that contains orange" or "smaller silver w/ turquoise earrings to go with my blue sweater". That way, even if you have an otherwise depressing time trying on a bazillion tops that make you look _____ (fill in blank), you'll come home with something you like, and that will be one more thing to wear often than you had before your birthday.

Another :grouphug:. I hope you end up having an unexpectedly super-fun and productive time! If you have a Sephora or Ulta in your mall, maybe have someone help you pick a new lipstick shade that looks great with your coloring?

Thanks for the hugs. I know he means well, but I know it will not be an easy day. I am hoping to go in with a few obtainable items so my shopping has direction. Looking at the fashion sites, I need new shoes. Guess my Crocs are out of style. :lol: Hopefully I can find a comfortable alternative because my feet have to be happy. I don't wear makeup, but thanks for the idea.

I want to thank you all for helping me have a successful shopping trip on for my birthday. I went in with some ideas and came out with several small bags of clothing. I found several cute, well fitting tops and a pair of pants. I am going to head out again this afternoon on a hunt for more pants and some shoes. I am sooo picky on shoes so that will be a challenge. This whole shopping trip was my DH's idea and he lasted a whole shoe department at JcPenney's before he declared "this isn't going to be easy, is it?" Uh, no. He was a trooper though and he is still willing to go out with me this afternoon.

Congrats! Glad to hear it was a successful trip. One thing I have learned from What Not to Wear is that shopping well really IS hard. The mountains of things people try on to find something good is huge, even when they are in the hands of professionals. Since I have started trying on my own mountains, my wardrobe has improves dramatically.

Good luck on your second trip!

Terri