Menu

Books About Women in Early 1900's?

Hi,

I'm reading a 'juvenile classic' right now, and I can't put it down! I actually checked it out from the library to review it as a read-aloud. It's way too mature for my 2nd grader, but I love it! :

"Hear My Sorrow; The Diary of Angela Denoto" by Deborah Hopkinson

"One of our final two Dear Americas, drama and history meet in this moving diary of an Italian immigrant girl who works in a shirtwaist factory in New York, as the labor unions begin to organize.

Angela and her family have arrived in New York City from their village in Italy to find themselves settled in a small tenement apartment on the Lower East Side. When her father is no longer able to work, Angela must leave school and work in a shirtwaist factory.

Against the backdrop of the birth of the labor union movement in the early 1900s, Angela plays a part in the drama and turmoil that erupt as the workers begin to strike, protesting the terrible conditions in the sweatshops. And she records the horrors of the Triangle Factory fire and the triumphs and sorrows of the labor movement."

Can you recommend any other books from this era? (Or this style, this topic, etc).

Thank you!

This is in my Amazon cart right now. Still working class, but about service instead of factory labor.

If you are looking for books on labor at the turn of the century, have you read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle? Not always an easy read, and not specific to women, but a classic and a very, very good one. North and South would probably be another good suggestion for you although a bit earlier than the 1900's time frame.

Jeannie Gunn's We of the Never Never and Little Black Princess were published in 1908 and 1905. They recount her stay in the Northern Territory of Australia. Bett-Bett, who is princess mentioned, befriends Mrs. Gunn, and both books were a big favourite of mine when I was 9 and living in Australia.

Amazon has them. Of the two, I think LBP would be just perfect as a read-aloud for a 7 year old.

A Lantern in Her Hand and sequel by Bess Aldrich. Pioneer through all the changes of the early 20th c in I believe Iowa. Two of my favorites!

:iagree:Wonderful books! The sequel is A White Bird Flying.

I'd also like to suggest A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Mrs. Mike (but NOT the sequel to Mrs. Mike - yuck!).

These books are for you, not your daughter, right?