Menu

The Loss of a Pet

I briefly mentioned this in the Teachers Lodge but I also need to "put it out there" to people I know that care but that are people I don't know really well, if that makes any sense. :tongue_smilie:

Monday our dog bit a neighbor, rather severely. I didn't find out about it until Tuesday morning when my neighbor's husband verbally accosted me as I was going inside from taking the dog out to do her thing. I was not home at the time it happened. My daughter was. I don't really know why she didn't call me RIGHT AWAY, but she didn't.:glare:

Anyway, due to some other issues, which I really don't want to go into right now, dh and I made the very difficult decision to turn her over to Animal Control. Please don't ask me questions of why, just know that we thought it was the right thing to do.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that we are ALL broken up over this. Any of you that pray, please pray that the four of us can get a reign on our emotions today and get done what needs to get done. :tongue_smilie: Thanks!

Thank you, all, for understanding. It just makes it rough to get through the day, you know? Although, I am constantly reminded of Elizabeth Elliot's mother's words to her, after the death of her husband, when Elizabeth just didn't know what to do with herself. Her mother said, "Just do the next thing" meaning, do the next thing that needs to be done. Stick with your routine. So I'm going through my son's schooling with him. DD isn't awake yet!

Loss of a pet is heartbreaking, doesn't matter the reason. I'm sorry for you and your family.

Exactly this. I'm very sorry for your loss :grouphug: Give your DD extra love and hugs. If she was around when it happened, she might be feeling a lot of guilt. We had an incident with our dogs in May or June where I specifically told DD not to take the puppy out (I was in the shower) she did anyway, and my old dog slipped by her and went after a neighbor's dog. That was a fun vet bill to split with them! At least they were nice about it, and were more concerned about my DD who was attached to the puppy's leash at the time than anything else. DD was a wreck about it for weeks after -- both for the guilt she felt over the situation and witnessing a dog fight. If all this resulted in the loss of your dog, I'm sure your DD feels horrible and is beating herself up more than anyone else possibly could right now.

I am so sorry...

We had to put down a dog that we had for several years and then started getting extremely aggressive for no apparent reason. (Yes, there were vet visits and behavioral visits...it was the vet who finally recommended that it would be best to put her down. No flaming please...)

I was pregnant with DD at the time, and no way was going to take any chances....but it was still painful and we grieved...

:grouphug:

Exactly this. I'm very sorry for your loss :grouphug: Give your DD extra love and hugs. If she was around when it happened, she might be feeling a lot of guilt. We had an incident with our dogs in May or June where I specifically told DD not to take the puppy out (I was in the shower) she did anyway, and my old dog slipped by her and went after a neighbor's dog. That was a fun vet bill to split with them! At least they were nice about it, and were more concerned about my DD who was attached to the puppy's leash at the time than anything else. DD was a wreck about it for weeks after -- both for the guilt she felt over the situation and witnessing a dog fight. If all this resulted in the loss of your dog, I'm sure your DD feels horrible and is beating herself up more than anyone else possibly could right now.

yep, she is. I made sure to let her know that the dog going away was NOT her fault. There were other factors leading up to that, so it truly was not her fault. But thank you for understanding!

I am so sorry....it does get easier. Having to be put in the position of having to make a choice makes it feel so much worse. But you made the decision based on protecting loved ones and neighbors. It sounds like there were valid reasons to think your pooch might do real harm to others. I will pm you later with our story. I think this sort of decision is always painful but sometimes necessary. It will get better.

I'm so sorry. We had to put our nearly 14 year old cat, Baby Kitty, to sleep Tuesday. She was in renal failure. We had to put our 1 1/2 year old cat, George, to sleep back on November 14th. One morning he was paralyzed from the waist down, crying and struggling. He had a blood clot in his femoral artery. It was horrible.

It does get better. I'm struggling with the memories and the tears that come from missing my Baby Kitty, but I know from losing George that it gets better. I still miss him and think of how he used to be at the door to greet us whenever we came home, but it doesn't bring me to tears like it did in those first days.

Praying that God brings you comfort and assurance that you made the best decision you could at the time.