Menu

"Really, there’s something of the homeschooler in all of us..."

Yes! One of the hardest things for me over the years has been that I can't get away from my kids (even though I love them dearly)! If I didn't think that homeschooling was best for the kids, there are days when I would have dropped them off at the local public school and not looked backwards.

Oh, I KNOW. Sometimes I just want them to leave me alone! Like today. One girl gets moody and stubborn and has to be talked to, meanwhile her sister is feeling neglected and gets moody. Blargh.

I think we take that up with PHP. I mean, SWB DOES live on a farm and she is our main supplier of homeschooling advice so it only makes sense that that is where we are supposed to be getting the chickens. I keep checking the site but still haven't seen chickens for sale. :confused:

Right now, they're only available as a .pdf.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but I do love the first photo caption:

"The Schreiber girls spend about two hours a day on formal lessons, including English and math."

"including English and math?!" Wow, even that! In addition to knitting and gathering eggs, one can only assume the children are being taught reading and addition. :lol:

Is anyone keeping track of how many times you have been called 'trendy' for homeschooling? I hear it every so often. Usually, it is not used kindly, as in, "I know homeschooling is trendy these days, but I could never do it." (I guess I will cancel the I Will Force You Homeschool home invasion.")

I always find it amusing when some journalist gets breathless describing the 'new' trend of homeschooling. I have seen at least oh... five? such articles in the past decade. I have seen other articles etc about homeschooling, but the "new trend" ones make me laugh. It is funny watching it get discovered again and again.

While this is one of the most balanced articles I've read recently, I dislike the subtle comments by the author that imply parents homeschool because they can't stop attachment parenting or will miss the kids so much that they need them home to make the parent happy. While I love my kids and enjoy their company I'm not homeschooling to feed my own needs, the choice was actually made with their education as the top priority. Homeschooling isn't all about me--it's all about them. I think it just feeds the paranoia of those unfamiliar with homeschooling to imply that parents make this choice based on parental needs or control rather than the best interests of the child involved.

(Also, just discovered that my iPad will auto spell homeschool and homeschooling! That is a trick none of our computer spell checkers can handle.)

:o That actually is one of the reasons I homeschool. When my oldest dd was in ps, I missed her. I saw her very little between the bus, school, homework, and early bedtime. I felt less like she was my child and more like I was a part time babysitter. I like my kids' company which is about one of the only things that keeps me from shipping them off on the hard days. FWIW, she missed me, too, and it's not the only reason. I'm more than happy to let her sleep over at friends, go places, do classes, etc. But the school schedule does not work for our sanity as an introverted and attached family.

To add a little context, the writer told me that she was assigned the article because the Newsweek editors were amazed to discover that people LIKE THEM were homeschooling. So I think that's where the "urban, educated, secular, professional" slant was coming from. It's perceived similarity to the people who run Newsweek.

Honestly, "lifestyle" articles in national publications always seem that way to me. How many articles have you seen about the massive pressure families go through to get their kids into the right preschool, with test prep for two-year-olds and educational consultants and so forth? There was even a documentary about it. But in reality, 99% of American parents just drive down to the local nursery school and sign up their kids. Preschool admission pressure is only of concern to a tiny, tiny fraction of well-off families in certain very large cities, who have certain social/educational aspirations for their kids. But those people control the media, so we hear about the "problem."

Similarly, if Those People start homeschooling their kids sometimes, homeschooling suddenly becomes a "lifestyle trend" in a way that it wasn't before.

Just curious has anyone read the book mentioned in the article called Kingdom of Children by Mitchell Stevens? It mentions it on the first page. The article says it is about the history of homeschooling. I think I found it here on amazon. Looks interesting, just curious if anyone has read it and if it is any good?

Yes, I loved this book. I should specify that I read it long before I started homeschooling, so I might have a different reaction now, but I think his analysis of the parallel strands of fundamentalist Christian and liberal/secular homeschooling was fascinating.

While this is one of the most balanced articles I've read recently, I dislike the subtle comments by the author that imply parents homeschool because they can't stop attachment parenting or will miss the kids so much that they need them home to make the parent happy. While I love my kids and enjoy their company I'm not homeschooling to feed my own needs, the choice was actually made with their education as the top priority. Homeschooling isn't all about me--it's all about them. I think it just feeds the paranoia of those unfamiliar with homeschooling to imply that parents make this choice based on parental needs or control rather than the best interests of the child involved.

It's interesting - she asked me whether I thought our homeschooling rose out of attachment parenting, and I said no - we did a lot of AP things like co-sleeping, nursing, and gentle discipline, but I don't think that a kindergartener is too young to leave home or that parental influence should be maximized. I just signed my three-year-old up for nursery school. (Without admissions pressure! :tongue_smilie:)

But it seems clear that she already had her narrative set before she talked to me. Of all the kid-focused reasons I gave her for why we homeschool, she picked the thing I said that focused most on my feelings and that fit the AP explanation. I understand why, and I see that it was quotable, though.

Is anyone keeping track of how many times you have been called 'trendy' for homeschooling? I hear it every so often. Usually, it is not used kindly, as in, "I know homeschooling is trendy these days, but I could never do it." (I guess I will cancel the I Will Force You Homeschool home invasion.")

Well, rats. Does that mean I have to put away my Commando Sharpie and my camo jumper?

And yes, I've encountered people who must say something about homeschooling being trendy, including the ps dad who said, "Oh, you've jumped on the Homeschool Bandwagon too?" :001_rolleyes:

Cat

Well, rats. Does that mean I have to put away my Commando Sharpie and my camo jumper?

And yes, I've encountered people who must say something about homeschooling being trendy, including the ps dad who said, "Oh, you've jumped on the Homeschool Bandwagon too?" :001_rolleyes:

Cat

Uh oh, is Homeschool Bandwagon the trendy new name for the minivan?

Do I need to take my fat Sharpie out to the garage and adjust the Homeschool Bus bumper sticker?!!

(jk... I have neither bus nor sticker.)